Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:37 PM   #1

Thinking very seriously about getting a Pentax KM / 2000 which would be be a carry around and also used as another body to my K10D.

What are the pros and the cons of the KM/2000 ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2009, 3:52 AM   #2

Hello,

I was looking at this camera as a possible upgrade to my K100D.

These are some the differences I noticed about it from the K200D.

- No LCD on top. That info gets displayed in view-finder or back screen. (Like the low-end Nikons or Canons.) Don't know if this is a con as such. Just different.
- No weather sealing vs. the K200D which has weather sealing.
- Built-in flash is less powerful than the K200D. (But I think it's the same as the K100D?)
- Only 5 AF points, not 11 like in the K200D. (No difference to me. I keep my AF on center anyway.)
- It has iso 3200, which the K200D does not, but not sure how useable it is.
- Has shadow compensation, which the K200D does not. Never used this or seen it work. Don't know how useful this is.
- 3.5 fps for 5 frames which is slightly faster than K200D
- Has an auto autofocus mode, which I guess chooses between AF-S vs. AF-C. (I'd prefer the external switch like on the K10D or K20D.)
- It has wireless sync mode for flash (which I thought the K200D had as well?)
- There is no B (Bulb) mode on the mode dial, but reading through the reviews, there is a B mode. Probably have to go through the manual to confirm that and how to activate it.
- I don't believe there is an AE-L button on the back, but I believe you can change the "AF" button to act like an AE-L button.

Here in Canada, there's only a $50 difference between the K2000D vs. the K200D, so the K200D with weather sealing and more buttons looks like a better value for me. But I guess it depends on if you can take advantage of the faster fps.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 5:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the info..got the KM and kit lens this am.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:51 PM   #4

Don't forget to post your first thoughts and pros/cons, and some first pictures, too! I'll be interested in what you think of it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:33 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget to post your first thoughts and pros/cons, and some first pictures, too! I'll be interested in what you think of it.
It's actually a birthday present for me, from my wife...but my birthday isn't till the end of the month...so it sits 'hidden' in a closet until then.:-)

I am looking forward to using it, especially as a camera I would like to carry around during my day.

I live in a part of Canada that has both Prairie and Boreal forest and I try to go for daily walks in the Boreal forest area. I currently carry the K10D w/ battery grip with a 55-300 Pentax lens and I'm looking forward to lightening my daily load, by attaching the KM to the 55-300.

Great place to walk and carry a DSLR, BTW...in the past 5 weeks I've got pictures of a large Barred Owl , Pileated Woodpecker and closeups of Whitetail Deer.

Unfortunately...I'm not computer literate so as of yet, I don't know how to post pictures.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 10:27 PM   #6

Sounds like a wonderful area to live in - where is it? I suggested to my Canadian born hubby that it might be somewhere in Alberta but he said it could be just about anywhere. If you decide to figure out how to post pictures (it's not difficult, but does take some knowledge of a post processing software), I'd love to see your wildlife pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:27 PM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like a wonderful area to live in - where is it? I suggested to my Canadian born hubby that it might be somewhere in Alberta but he said it could be just about anywhere. If you decide to figure out how to post pictures (it's not difficult, but does take some knowledge of a post processing software), I'd love to see your wildlife pictures.
I live in the southeastern part of Winnipeg, Manitoba. About a kilometer away, there is a forested area (edge of Boreal area) that I try to go to for regular walks.A path was recently opened up (Jan./09) and I'm astounded by the number of wildlife in this forested area...in an urban setting. Amazing how well animals adapt. The forest is on both sides of a small river and from what I understand there are more than 66 species of birds, animals, reptiles, amphibians and fish flourishing in this little treasure .

I'm retired now and to paraphrase the old Paladin TV show I..'.Have camera...will travel'...and in the past couple of weeks have traveled to one of our large provincial parks...the Whiteshell, about 90 minutes away.

On the way there traveling through a forest preserve (Sandilands) in search of Great Gray Owls which live there (didn't see any) but did see, but no picture of a large Bald Eagle and also saw and got pictures of a Northern Hawk Owl, perched on a tree.

Last week...my wife and I drove down to a river valley by the North Dakota border...to watch the raptors return North from south in great numbers..it's a raptor migration route at this time of the year. While there got some pictures of two large Bald Eagles perched on a tree. Got a boot full of snow, but also a few pictures...not as good as I hoped...they flew off before I could get too close.

Last week I drove through the prairie . In the summer the prairie is alive with animals and birds...

North of the city, about 20 miles + by some river locks on the Red River (in the news now because of flooding) in the summer, you can rely on seeing and photographing many, large American White Pelicans, Cormorants, etc.

I put a lot of miles on our big Buick sedan...:-)and I try to carry a camera as much as possible, as you never know. I got the KM to keep with me and carry in the car..or on walks. I still plan to use the K10D...but it's a bit too heavy and big for me, for everyday portability.

Not Alberta as your Husband suspected...BTW I lived there too, in Edmonton...Alberta is also a great place to live.