Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:39 PM   #1

I went to this year's national cherry blossom festival in Washington, D.C. I must say I was quite amazed at the amount of cherry blossoms lining the Tidal Basin. It's definitely a lovely sight, as well as a photographer's gold mine for photo ops. Also amazing was the number of Pentax DSLRs I observed in the area. I thought I would be the only one, but instead I saw at least 10 Pentax cameras of various models in 1 day! :lol:

Anyway, here are a couple of my shots from the event:

I also took a number of photos of Washington, D.C: http://www.flickr.com/photos/inferno...7616322666096/

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2009, 6:40 AM   #2

Very nice images. I've never managed to be there at that time. Looks like it's worth a trip.

I really like how creative you were with the fisheye lens on shots of things people have seen a million times. Great job.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 7:16 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Outstanding! Color, composition, lighting...all A+. Love the fish eye effect on #2!I also looked atyour gallery and the rest of the images are fantastic as well! I had a lot of fun with my DA 10-17 a couple of years ago in DC!

Did you have any concerns about being in DC after dark? I'll be in DC in about 6 weeks. and plan to visit the Jefferson Memorial at sunset for some photo's. I will be staying in MD but figured I'd drive in to the area since there is not a Metro stop near the Jefferson Memorial and it is a good hike from the nearest stop.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 2:21 PM   #4

Wonderful series! I really LOVE your shot ofthe Washington Monument at sunset - the lines are fascinating. Your use of the fisheye is imaginative and fun, makes me want to get one though I somehow think it would take me a long time to use it half as well as you do. It amazes me how you manage to use it so effectively.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:34 PM   #5

Nice work Jason.
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:26 PM   #6

Very, very nice shots. My wife and I lived about an hour from Washington for several years in the 1980s. We both thought New England was nicer in summer, fall, and winter, but there was no denying that spring in that area is absolutely lovely. During the month of April, it seems that every bit of vegetation is blooming with some magnificent flower.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2009, 1:07 AM   #7

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Did you have any concerns about being in DC after dark? I'll be in DC in about 6 weeks. and plan to visit the Jefferson Memorial at sunset for some photo's. I will be staying in MD but figured I'd drive in to the area since there is not a Metro stop near the Jefferson Memorial and it is a good hike from the nearest stop.
I had no fears walking around the national mall alone at night, something I did quite often during my stay. I spent many hours around the Tidal Basin before making the walk to the Lincoln Memorial, then the LONG walk back to Smithsonian Metro station around 11PM with no fears whatsoever.

Most of my treks took me between between Capitol South and Smithsonian stations. No problems there. I only visited Dupont Circle during the day but I would probably not have too big of an issue there at night; I did see some shady people, so I'd at least be alert if visiting that area.

The further you get away from the government core of DC, the more you should be careful. Furthest I travelled was U St station, where buildings looked a little more dilapidated. Supposedly it's safe, but I'd be wary there.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote