Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:41 AM   #1

I saw one the other day, and then this afternoon at dusk look up and saw a flock of about 6 in the neighborhood. They are living in a Saguaro cactus on the corner and appear to be having a great time.

I need to do a better job of focusing and holding the camera still. These are using my new K20 and the 55-300 lens. I also found the burst mode. On the K100 it was click, click, click, wait for the write to memory.... On the K20, there is really no sound at all, other than the memory write light pops on immediately, while the mirror is up, so it appears that its silently machine gunning images (JPG) one after the next.

So in the course of a couple of minutes, I burned through a bit of over 150 frames.
Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:45 AM   #2

Just another shot... These are the best bird pictures I have ever taken!

Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2009, 1:56 AM   #3

... and yet another...

Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:16 AM   #4

... and yet one more.

Attached Images

Old Apr 13, 2009, 3:00 AM   #5

These are very nice pictures of very nice birds (as long as they keep quiet). A little post-processing will enhance them further. I did a 30 sec adjustment in CS3. Auto contrast and a little sharpening with unsharp mask. Hope you don't mind.

Kjell

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:33 AM   #6

Very pretty and unusual to see them where you are. They sure look happy.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 2:26 PM   #7

Certainly pretty birds. Were you using the continuous shot mode or the low resolution mode that does 21 frames per second? I played around with the latter a bit and you sure do go through a lot of frames very quickly! The only trouble I found with it was that the mirror locks up in the beginning and stays that way, so you don't have a useful viewfinder. That meant that I had a problem since my subject was a pole vaulter and I was trying to capture the approach as well as the vault itself. If I were going to be doing that a lot, I'd want a spotting scope.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2009, 6:43 PM   #8

Kjell - It was late at night when I posted them and just wanted to see how they compared to other bird pictures on the forum via the browser. Your right and I do need to do some post processing and thank you very much - I do not mind one bit. The additional resolution helps a lot on images like these.

Patty - These are the happiest birds I have ever seen.

Harriet - I was just using the continuous shot mode - and I was surprised with the continuous mirror lock up - it was my first use and did not know what to expect. I can see uses for this.

I see I need to think things through a bit more, need a larger depth of field and these were shot at f5.6, plus it was dusk and I was loosing the light. I did not have the presence of mind to make an adjustment. They were all shot in P mode, and I even forgot to use the green button. With all the shadows, I was having a bit of a problem with keeping focus lock and switched to Manual a few times. One thing that I am noticing is that I like the switches on the K100 focus a bit better, as they are easier to change. I was very surprised that these turned out as well as they did. My last attempt at birds months ago, was a real failure.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 7:55 PM   #9

Beautiful. We had one of these wandering around here a while a couple of years ago. Poor fellow probably was someone's pet. Wife named him Peaches.

Dawg.
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote