Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:27 AM   #11

Keltech wrote:
Quote:
Spectacular pictures. I couldn't pick one I liked more than the other they are all great shots!!* I have been trying to get close enough to a Loon with my boat to get a decent picture but they seem to sense your approach and dive. When they next surface they are always further away. I have vowed to get a picture this year.
Hi Keltech,

Thanks!

I don't get many chances at Loons, so I was very happy getting the shots that I could. For this one, the Loon happened to surface about 15 feet from the shore right in front of me. I got a few shots off before it dove again. A mostly black bird with white stripes and spots is a nightmare to meter, BTW.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:27 AM   #12

mtnman wrote:
Quote:
Great photos, with amazing detail.* Really, really nice!
Hi mtnman,

Thanks !!!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:36 AM   #13

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
"Just some sparrows" — just some understatement!

You do magic with those stacked converters, Scott. Like Harriet I just love the KF shot.
Hi Kjell,

Thanks!!

I'm finding that with the FA* 300/2.8, The TCs, even stacked, have very little effect on the center sharpness. The most obvious effect is that the bokeh on relatively nearby background objects gets a little frantic-looking, while it's very smooth with the lens alone. I can live with that easily. . .

Scott
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:41 AM   #14

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Wonderful Scott!
I agree with the others.
I can really appreciate the KF, I see them every once in a while but there gone before I can* get a shot... even a poor one.
Hi GW,

I've chased BKFs for days trying to get shots at them, but usually fail -- they see everything around them, and 40-50 feet seems to be their comfort zone. I've decided that I'll just have to wait for one to land close by mistake, and I'll get one then . . .:-):-)

Scott
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:54 AM   #15

Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
Fantastic detail,* the Song Sparrow capture is wonderfull.
Hi Rodney,

Thanks!! Now that I have the FA* 300/2.8, I really don't have a whole lot of excuses that I can use. . .:?

Scott
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:23 PM   #16

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Rodney9 wrote:
Quote:
Fantastic detail, the Song Sparrow capture is wonderfull.
Hi Rodney,

Thanks!! Now that I have the FA* 300/2.8, I really don't have a whole lot of excuses that I can use. . .:?

Scott
Hi Scott,

I'd like to see an excuse...:lol:Excellent details in some of those images - well done - what TC's are you using?

Side note: I suspectyou need to showwhat that lens' bokeh (without a TC) is all about!As you know, it's smooth bokeh is quite a :shock:...notbusy at allfor that sort of lens.

Regards,
Marc

Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:27 PM   #17

Marc Langille wrote:

Hi Scott,*

I'd like to see an excuse...:lol:*Excellent details in some of those images - well done - what TC's are you using?
[/quote]

Hi Marc,

Thanks!

As someone who has admired your work, I especially value your comments.

For these shots, I used a Sigma 1.4x APO TC and a Pentax F 1.7x AFA stacked. I'm now sorry that I passed on the P A RC 1.4x L that you recently sold very reasonably, as that TC would probably be the best available for this kind of thing. I'll find one eventually. I've also used the Tamron F 1.4x MC4 with the 1.7x AFA with about equally good results. With the big FA* 300/2.8, I just trust the Sigma's build quality a bit more.

BTW, thanks for steering me towards the purchase of a Wimberley Sidkick. I'm using it with Amvona AT-A104 CF legs and a Manfrotto 468MG and the Wimberley conversion clamp. This offers me a relatively light and inexpensive, very steady platform that allows ridiculously easy movement of the big glass. I like the combo so much that after a few weeks of the free trial, I called them and told them to just send the charge through because I was definitely keeping the gear. I have to say that my experience with Wimberley has been one of the most satisfying retail experiences that I've ever had -- a great company.

Scott
Old Apr 20, 2009, 2:53 PM   #18

Hi Scott,

Glad to help out where I can. BTW, the recommendation for the Sidekick came before the invite from Wimberley...I am a big fan of their plamps for macro work and I use their lens plates as well - great quality.

Background: I received an unsolicited invite to become a Wimberley Professional Services member. They seemed to like my work ethic and website images. What was nice: they even positively commented that I shoot with Pentax... I now have a presence on their website too!

I understand about the Tamron - the sidewalls on the TC are a bit "flexible" and I overcome this by ensuring the Z1 monoball is not tighted beyond 7.5 - 8 on the friction dial. Seems to work well this way. I still have the uber-solid 1.7x AF TC and it's amazing in good light with solid technique.

Keep them coming and show folks what the FA* 300/2.8lens can do - it's optical clarity is stunning when put in capable hands.

Regards,
Marc
Old Apr 20, 2009, 3:51 PM   #19

Hey guys, I'm watching an auction(local) on a R C A1.4XL. But now you'reappetizing with all this Sidekick Manfrotto Amvona talk. And how do I get my hands on a FA*300 2.8? For nothing? Stop it, stop it, you're making me crazy!

Seriously Scott, could you take a picture of the Sidekick setup and PM me about the details (where, how much e t c)?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:14 PM   #20

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm watching an auction (local) on a R C A1.4XL. But now you'reappetizing with all this Sidekick Manfrotto Amvona talk. And how do I get my hands on a FA*300 2.8? For nothing? Stop it, stop it, you're making me crazy!

Seriously Scott, could you take a picture of the Sidekick setup and PM me about the details (where, how much e t c)?

Kjell
Hi Kjell, I've already given you two free FA* 300/2.8 lens shots in my hummingbird post... Will that work??

Regarding that question about Wimberley: you can go direct order from them at http://www.tripodhead.com. Here is the link to the international ordering page: http://www.tripodhead.com/about-orde...ernational.cfm

Another option is via a company such as B&H Photo, etc., which will ship overseas. Google search will yield additional results.

BTW, I am also authorized to sell Wimberley products, but I normally reserve that for workshops, etc. They give me a lot of nice benefits above the consumer offerings, no question. I even have some giveaways for this week's macro class! That is because I am part of the Wimberley Professional Services membership: http://www.tripodhead.com/our-customers.cfm

Cheers,
Marc