Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:08 AM   #1

Hi All,

It's the middle of April, and we just got our first days in the 60's since that freaky day in January. . .

The Loons and Merganser have moved on , so I wandered about trying to see what other birds were visiting. Here's one last shot of one of the Loons.

The first I encountered was the Belted Kingfisher who's been flying around laughing at me. . . not a great shot, but pretty good for a 1/6 frame crop heavily processed.

Different Sparrows are starting to show up. Here's a Song Sparrow. It's about a 2/3 frame crop shot at 714mm at about 30 feet

A few White Throated Sparrows showed up, and this one came close and stayed for a few shots. These were also at 714mm (stacked converters on the FA*300/2.8 ) about 1/2 frame crops from about 20 feet

And then this Eastern Towhee showed up and wandered about -- I usually only see one of these each year, so I was glad to get a few shots before it took off.

The FA*300/2.8 is a pretty remarkable lens. I seem to be able to get about the same amount of feather detail at significantly greater distances than I can with the Tamron or Sigma 300/2.8s and TCs. I'm sure that the Wimberley Sidekick is helping too though. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:53 AM   #2

As always, your bird shots are amazing. I love the kingfisher just because they always look like they have such an attitude, though the second white throated sparrow has such wonderful feather detail.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:57 AM   #3

What a great shot of that white throated sparrow! Looks like he's either posing or giving you the evil eye!! All of 'em are excellent. Good job on PP for the kingfisher too!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:52 PM   #4

Spectacular pictures. I couldn't pick one I liked more than the other they are all great shots!! I have been trying to get close enough to a Loon with my boat to get a decent picture but they seem to sense your approach and dive. When they next surface they are always further away. I have vowed to get a picture this year.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:53 PM   #5

Great photos, with amazing detail. Really, really nice!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 6:16 PM   #6

"Just some sparrows" — just some understatement!

You do magic with those stacked converters, Scott. Like Harriet I just love the KF shot.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:22 PM   #7

Wonderful Scott!
I agree with the others.
I can really appreciate the KF, I see them every once in a while but there gone before I can get a shot... even a poor one.

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 6:15 AM   #8

Fantastic detail, the Song Sparrow capture is wonderfull.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:07 AM   #9

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
As always, your bird shots are amazing. I love the kingfisher just because they always look like they have such an attitude, though the second white throated sparrow has such wonderful feather detail.
Hi Harriet,

Thanks!

The KFs look like they have an attitude because they do! :-) I laughed at one when he did a belly flop diving to get a fish, and haven't been able to get a good shot of one since. . .

I was a bit surprised that the detail on the wing feathers was still visible after being reduced to posting size. Usually it blurs to looking flat at about 1200 pixels on the long side.

Scott
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:21 AM   #10

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
What a great shot of that white throated sparrow!* Looks like he's either posing or giving you the evil eye!!* All of 'em are excellent.* Good job on PP for the kingfisher too!
Hi Glen,

Thanks! The WTS was very accomodating in this case. He came a lot closer than any of the others that day, and posed nicely for a couple of seconds.

The FA* 300/2.8 is the sharpest tele lens that I've ever shot with at longer distances. With the K20, I can get more than acceptable prints from 2mp crops -- using the stacked converters no less. It's taking a while to get used to what it can do. At least the weather seems to be getting better -- though I thought I just heard "snow" mentioned in the forecast. . .

Scott