Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:06 PM   #1

Probably the best thing the county Commissioners have ever done for Polk County, is was to vote to buy the land that was once a cattle ranch, along with the Mid Florida Water Management District, and build this 1200 plus acre nature preserve. Admission and parking are free! On Saturdays, they have nature classes on various topics. This week was on Bats... very interesting.
as you can see, my camera was back focusing, still can't get it straightened out.
:angry: taken with the 55-300 @107mm.

GW:bye:

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:08 PM   #2

GW, did they tell you what kind of bat this was? Big eyes and little ears mean it isn't an insect eating bat (no highly developed "sonar") - either fruit or nectar, and unless they have colonized recently, not native.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 5:19 PM   #3

penolta wrote:
Quote:
GW, did they tell you what kind of bat this was? Big eyes and little ears mean it isn't an insect eating bat (no highly developed "sonar") - either fruit or nectar, and unless they have colonized recently, not native.

Hey Pen,
No, not native. this is one of 10 this gentleman keeps at his home for educational purposes. I think he said they were all fruit bats.

Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:42 PM   #4

Not sure I realized how cute a bat can be. I know they are rather nice to have around, but really have never seen one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:24 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Not sure I realized how cute a bat can be. I know they are rather nice to have around, but really have never seen one.
Same here Harriet, I think it's the big eyes... I've always been a sucker for big eyes.:G
They also seem to have a personality, in the first shot he looks a little scared, in the second shot he looks more curious.:-)
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:12 PM   #6

We used to have bats around here all the time. Took us a while to figure out that's what they were. My first experience was in our new home just after the movers had left. I saw something flitting on the floor in the living room. Never did figure out if it came from outside, the boxes that had been in storage for a month, or we moved it up from Georgia.

Then, we used to go for walks at dusk and would always feel something flying over our heads. Finally figured out it was the bats flying over to get the mosquitoes. I can certainly tell you I didn't think they were cute then. :shock:

This guy does look sorta cute.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote