Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:24 AM   #11

Marc,

I always love to see rules broken, mostly because they are but guidelines.
And you broke them in a magnificent way

Thanks for sharing this

Ronny
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:07 PM   #12

very impressive photos
and lens too

i took a look around your website also
nicely done
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:25 PM   #13

Default Mike and Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
First off, Marc, your wildlife photography is always top notch. 2nd, I want that lens. Haha... I couldn't afford it, but I want it... Although my own use would be somewhat different as I rather would like it for autoracing photography but that's beside the point... Keep up the good work.
Thanks Mike for the kind words... The FA* 300/2.8 is a hard thing to hide when I'm out and about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
First, GREAT Shots!

You didn't mention that you were using flash or some kind of lighting as the flash is showing in the birds eyes and wings are showing.

ONLY A SHORT FLASH DURATION CAN TRULY FREEZE A HUMMINGBIRD'S WINGS, NOT A FAST SHUTTER!
Jack, thanks for the kind words about the images and your thoughts! Unfortunately SmugMug blocks EXIF in the images, so I'd have to post a separate link to the EXIF. I have some clarifications on my image work for you. The images you see here are taking in natural lighting - I am not using a flash good sir! That is the sun's reflection in their eyes - all of the images - including the 3rd hummingbird image...

Rest assured that I know the math, their wing beats per second, etc. Not using a flash is my overwhelming preference for hummingbird image work. However, there is one strong argument for using a flash: if you want the same iridescent reflections on their feathers. So now you know what I prefer: sharp in focus head and/or body, and a visually pleasing wing blur with a beautiful background bokeh. Often F/5.6, 1/500 sec. is perfect for me. Please remember I am dealing with a relatively narrow DOF due to their proximity (often less than 10 feet away).

I guess I am somewhat of a rebel in the face of the consensus on how to photograph hummingbirds...

Perhaps I will try using a flash again, but I have such an excellent setup using natural lighting I will often forgo the flash.

Regards,
Marc
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Amazing shots, what else is there to say, Amazing.
Thanks Rodney - hope you are doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
Marc
Wow great images.
Rules are meant to be broken and the one behind the camera and results count more than anything.
Even at 1/1000s you can hardly freeze the action if the bird was in full flight motion. But hummer flight pattern at time is almost stationery mid air and that was the time you got them. Good job.
One question: was your SR on?

Daniel
Yes, I am a bit of a rebel - I am still surprised I pulled them out of the hat at such low light and shutter speeds...

As you indicated Daniel, them being stationary even for a few seconds was enough - that helped me out, no question! SR was enabled.

Regards,
Marc
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Marc,

I always love to see rules broken, mostly because they are but guidelines.
And you broke them in a magnificent way

Thanks for sharing this

Ronny
So you are saying I am a rule breaker?

Seriously, thank you and glad you enjoyed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumnut View Post
very impressive photos
and lens too

i took a look around your website also
nicely done
Thank you Gumnut - much appreciated.

Regards,
Marc