Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:28 PM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Welcome to our corner of Steve's Forums! We're a friendly bunch eager to help each other. Re. your images, since there are so many variables that can affect an image, it would help if you could post an example or two of the images to which you refer. I'm sure someone here will be able to provide some insight and hopefully help you get the satisfaction we all do from our Pentax DSLR's.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:49 PM   #12

Also...which camera did you use? With my K10D I set the saturation to -1, the sharpness to +2 and the contrast to +1. I almost always use AV mode(aperture priority), set to center weighted exposure and spot focus. Also I use ISO 400 and f/5.6-f/8 with sometimes a +1 bias on the exposure compensation. If the colors are washed out I go to a -1 or 2 on the exposure compensation and then correct in photoshop as needed. But all of these can and most times are changed some to fit the circumstances. Here are some with the Kit lens in bright sunlight. The EXIF data is there if you can read it and if you cannot let me know and I'll post the settings used for each one.

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:50 PM   #13

No. 2
Attached Images

Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:50 PM   #14

No. 3
Attached Images

Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:53 PM   #15

No. 4
Old Apr 24, 2009, 6:43 PM   #16

Wow, quite a response has been garnered...:-)

I personally believe it's a great travel lens, definitely underrated.

Cheers,
Marc
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 6:45 PM   #17

MadMikeSS wrote:
Quote:
Marc, I think you could produce results like that from a pinhole camera... That 2nd picture reminds me of the final battle scene of Excalibur, the fog and sunrise (edit).
Thank you Mike! Much appreciated.

I suspect I'd not enjoy a pinhole camera as much, although I do appreciate the props and the vote of confidence!

Regards,
Marc
Old Apr 24, 2009, 6:47 PM   #18

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
There's no way that I ever got even half that great of a shot with my DA 50-200. To be fair, it's got something wrong with it - I think it had a problem when I first got it, but I wasn't smart enough to figure it out until it got really messed up. On the other hand, I couldn't do that well with ANY lens - those pictures are awesome!
Sorry to hear that and hope you might find another good copy of the lens.

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Hi Marc,

The hummingbird is stunning!!!! The fog scene is no less enchanting!!!! I think we would all like to be able to capture images like these. I know I would...
Thank you both for the comments - the hummer shot took a good 5-10 minutes to capture.

BTW, I have little guys already chittering away as they compete for spots around the garden. I suspect I'll be using the FA* 300/2.8 a bit more in the near future!!

Sincerely,
Marc
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:06 PM   #19

lesmore49 wrote:
Quote:
I like both pictures...frame-able.
Thank you.

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Both shots are impressive, but #2 is really sensational. Good to see another Arkansas Pentax shooter.

Paul
Thank you Paul and I have another which I believe is a stronger image in terms of impact - stay tuned! I am a misplaced Canadian... :O

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
Welcome Marc. I too am a Kit lens shooter. My 18-55 DA Kit lens is always with me. Here is a photo taken with mine. http://www.steves-digicams.com/potda/11272007.jpg

Dawg
Hello Dawg! (that's not your real name, is it?):shock: That's a great image and PP'ing done - take a bow good sir!

I use the kit lenses on occasion, but I mainly use FA* lenses for specific kinds of shooting I prefer. Without a doubt, the DA 50-200 I have is my second favorite landscape lens after my DA 12-24. I believe mine is an exceptional copy.

Regards,
Marc

Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:26 AM   #20

cschroe1 wrote:
Quote:
We (my husband and I) are BRAND NEW to dslr's. We took some photos this weekend with our 18-55mm lens at a polo match. We used the green mode with the program mode set to "normal" for a portion and "high-speed priority" for a portion. All of our photos turned out dull in color (the greens should be greener, the blues should be bluer). I took photos with my Canon point and shoot to compare and the colors on the point and shoot turned out better. We would appreciate any suggestions as to how to improve..........???
why dont you start a new post, tell us which camera you have and post some of your pictures, im sure someone on here will be able to help you.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote