Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:19 PM   #21

Marc Langille wrote:
Quote:
I think they're pretty good with the right sweet spot in terms of aperture, especially the DA 50-200 - quite versatile...
The Pentax kit lenses are no doubt very good, but I still do think the photographer has something to do with it...

Marc, I'm not sure wether you have been properly welcomed in this forum, so to be on the safe side:

Welcome in our little but veeerrrry cosy community, Marc! We don't all operate at professional level, but the love for photography is there all right. Any help to improve is most welcome.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:33 PM   #22

cschroe1 wrote:
Quote:
We (my husband and I) are BRAND NEW to dslr's. We took some photos this weekend with our 18-55mm lens at a polo match. We used the green mode with the program mode set to "normal" for a portion and "high-speed priority" for a portion. All of our photos turned out dull in color (the greens should be greener, the blues should be bluer). I took photos with my Canon point and shoot to compare and the colors on the point and shoot turned out better. We would appreciate any suggestions as to how to improve..........???
Most welcome to the friendliest Pentax forum on the net! You've come to the right place to ask questions, there are a lot of experts on various sides of the hobby willing to help. Personally I owe this forum a lot.

Yoursis a common problem when people upgrade from P&S to DSLR. The DSLR can no doubt deliver better photos, but it's also designed to give the photographer more control over the process. Depending on camera model, you can set your camera to do different parts of the post processing in camera. But most photographers who use a DSLR want to do that themselves after downloading the pictures to the computer. A fairly cheap post processing program like Adobe Photoshop Elements give you a multitude of opportunities. But there is a learning curve.

Take a look at this thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 5:35 PM   #23

Marc these are amazing shots today i ordered the 55-300 pentax lens
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:31 PM   #24

Some time ago when I was new on the forum I posted a couple of close-up shots with the 18-55 kit lens that came with my K100D, showing a capability of that lens not often enough taken advantage of.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...91&forum_id=80

Edit: Some strange characters were added into the text in the change of servers/software.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 11, 2009 at 10:14 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 9:41 PM   #25

I find that the 50-200 is so much sharper than my 18-55 that I keep that on the camera. Maybe there is something wrong with it, but is just does not have any where near the sharpness that the bigger lens has. I've been considering an after market lens because i am so disappointed in it.
jdennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
Marc Langille wrote:

The Pentax kit lenses are no doubt very good, but I still do think the photographer has something to do with it...

Marc, I'm not sure wether you have been properly welcomed in this forum, so to be on the safe side:

Welcome in our little but veeerrrry cosy community, Marc! We don't all operate at professional level, but the love for photography is there all right. Any help to improve is most welcome.

Kjell
Kjell, sorry for the delay in my response - very busy several weeks! I just wanted to say a big thank you for the welcome!!!

My work is not about having professional results - it's about sharing the beauty of the world around us with others. I am just fortunate to have a better than average skill set so I try to take advantage of it as best I can, so folks can enjoy those images...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
Marc these are amazing shots today i ordered the 55-300 pentax lens
Hercules, thank you! So what's been the verdict on that 55-300 lens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Some time ago when I was new on the forum I posted a couple of close-up shots with the 18-55 kit lens that came with my K100D, showing a capability of that lens not often enough taken advantage of.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...91&forum_id=80

Edit: Some strange characters were added into the text in the change of servers/software.
Hi Penolta, do you still use the kit lens? I still have mine, but as I wanted wider for landscape work and heavy industrial images, the 12-24 was the right choice for me, albeit expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennen View Post
I find that the 50-200 is so much sharper than my 18-55 that I keep that on the camera. Maybe there is something wrong with it, but is just does not have any where near the sharpness that the bigger lens has. I've been considering an after market lens because i am so disappointed in it.
IIRC, I think the 18-55 is best at 22/23mm --> 40-50mm. I bought the 12-24 and have never looked back.
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I like my kit lens as well...
That is a great head shot!!!
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Hi Penolta, do you still use the kit lens? I still have mine, but as I wanted wider for landscape work and heavy industrial images, the 12-24 was the right choice for me, albeit expensive.
Not much, but only because I have other lenses with broader range or faster apertures, not for any shortcomings it has. I still like it for its compact size and light weight.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:51 PM   #29

So many good shots, the lens helps no doubt, even kit lens, but they all need a Photographer to make them look this good.

Rodney.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Langille View Post
Hercules, thank you! So what's been the verdict on that 55-300 lens?
Mark i find the 55-300 to be a great lens for the price and from what i see it matched my EF-70-300 IS NEW that i had and to boot is smaller as well, here are samples of the 55-300
http://www.pbase.com/spartanwarrior/drifting_in_sparta
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote