Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 21, 2009, 4:26 AM   #1

My backup battery for my K10D is starting to fail. Can someone recommend a source for a new one, preferably original equipment. I have taken about 12,000 shots with my original battery (75% use) and an off-brand battery (25% use). I use on-board flash about 10& of my shots. Who can I rely on?

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:36 PM   #2

have you tried Amazon, BH Photo and Adorama

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 5:27 PM   #3

This Konica Minolta battery is compatible with the K10D/K20D. I own one and it's great. Only $9.95 too!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tery_7_4v.html

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:18 PM   #4

Hi OE,

I've had an Impact battery from B&H since I got my K10 over 2 years ago, and have absolutely no complaints with it. I've used it interchangeably, alternating between an OEM and the Impact in both the K10 and K20, so there's been about 35,000 shots on the Impact so far. I usually don't let a battery go down all the way before I switch it out, so I can't give any shots/charge #s. I rarely have needed more than one battery for a given session, so I usually recharge them well before they are depleted.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Battery.html

Right now though I think that I'd get the Minolta OEM batteries that they have for $9.95 as Jason showed . . .
less capacity, but an OEM Japanese mfg battery for an unreal price.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:37 PM   #5

Thanks to all for your answers. After quite a lot of thought I decided to buy an OEM from Adorama for $39.95 with free shipping. I heard and read too many tales of poor results from other makes.

One complaint about my K10D is that there is almost no warning when the battery is about to quit on me. It has never caused me any real problem, for I do not shoot commercially. But it is an aggravation. Am I overlooking something in regards to the "No Warning"? If so, what?

Thanks again,

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:44 PM   #6

Hi OE,

AFAIK there is no cure for the battery indicator problem. That's why I always like to start with a freshly charged battery, no matter how many shots I anticipate taking. With the better battery life of the K20 over the K10, I'm rarely concerned about # of shots left on the battery, but I carry a spare nonetheless.

From what I've read, the best way to get better battery level indicators is to use "smart" batteries and have the camera makers incorporate compatibility in their cameras.

Here's hoping that the Pentax designers see this as something that's worth doing -- it would be a nice touch

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote