Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:24 PM   #21

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I also don't think we should belittle the importance of a camera that does not need to be rotated for vertical shots. This greatly simplifies use for flash photographers and for those who use a tripod for most of their images.
I agree Ira -- that's why I thought it such an interesting idea -- as I mentioned, it would make tilt and swivel heads on flash not nearly as necessary as many now feel, and the only thing real detraction from the AF 360 would be power. It would also cut the "need" for an "L" bracket. Add better low light AF sensitivity, and this would be the camera to have for shooting events. . . and birds. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 8:34 PM   #22

nhmom wrote:
Quote:

But, the sensor shape is one thing I'd never thought much about until a few years ago.* I used to always take my photos and print as 4 x 6 and that was that!* It wasn't until I started submitting to contests that I started struggling with needing 8 x 10 format.* I kept struggling with having to cut something off in the images to get the proportions right.

Once I figured it out, I now try to take my photos with the plan of having extra crop room on either end (landscape-wise).* And, often times find myself taking photos in both directions to cover any future possible crop I might want.
Hi Patty,

With cropping in mind, there are a few accessories that you might find interesting -- a bit pricey maybe, but very good products.

Katzeye not only makes split screen/microprism viewfinders -- their main claim to fame, but also offers viewfinders with crop lines for 8x10, and 8x10 with horizontal crop lines to show max area if the the 8x10 is then cropped to 5x7. They also have rule of thirds lined ones -- these all can be special ordered without the split screen if desired.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--G...gridlines.html

I don't know if you'd use them, but it's nice to know that they are available if you want them. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:27 PM   #23

The rumors about exactly what this new camera is have been all over the place. And, it's true, the rather nasty arguments about it I've seen on more than one other Web site are quite perplexing. Isn't this supposed to be fun?

As for myself, I'll take a good, close look at the new camera when it is unveiled. I'm quite happy with my K200D but have been thinking about adding a K20D or perhaps the next new Pentax DSLR to my kit. My only real desire over what the K20D could give me right now is faster auto focus with better tracking/predictive performance and a faster burst mode with bigger buffer. Those two items would be it for me because I like to shoot auto racing sometimes.

If the new camera isn't that much different, the K20D will do just fine. I'd use my DA* f/2.8 zooms on that and perhaps the kit lens and the 50-300mm lens on my K200D when I still want a DSLR but need something a bit smaller and lighter.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:20 AM   #24

Forgot to mention when the subject of the DA*60-250 lens came up - it's shipping now. There are people in the UK that have already received theirs. Don't know if it's hit the US yet, though. I'm only mildly interested in seeing how it works out - I'm not completely happy with the 55-300, but really am not sure I want something that big, heavy and expensive (the reason I didn't buy the 200 f2.8 ).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 7:54 AM   #25

I'm just lookin' forward to folks moving up to the next great thing and selling their K20D's for next to nothing. Let's me move up and keep my meals coming in a regular fashion.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 9:27 AM   #26

"I'm just lookin' forward to folks moving up to the next great thing and selling their K20D's for next to nothing. Let's me move up and keep my meals coming in a regular fashion."

HeHeHe . . .

That sounds good to me too!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:07 AM   #27

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Forgot to mention when the subject of the DA*60-250 lens came up - it's shipping now. There are people in the UK that have already received theirs. Don't know if it's hit the US yet, though. I'm only mildly interested in seeing how it works out - I'm not completely happy with the 55-300, but really am not sure I want something that big, heavy and expensive (the reason I didn't buy the 200 f2.8).
Hi Harriet... not to get too far off-topic here, but I was unaware you weren't that pleased with your 55-300. In your posts shortly after you bought it, you seemed pretty happy. Can you sum up some of your concerns? I also have the 50-300 but I just haven't had occasion to use it all that much.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:37 AM   #28

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Forgot to mention when the subject of the DA*60-250 lens came up - it's shipping now. There are people in the UK that have already received theirs. Don't know if it's hit the US yet, though. I'm only mildly interested in seeing how it works out - I'm not completely happy with the 55-300, but really am not sure I want something that big, heavy and expensive (the reason I didn't buy the 200 f2.8).
Well Harriet, as you know very well, the DA* lenses are always better than the standard DA glass. (Thought I'd play devil's advocate here, bet you buy one within a year;-))
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:09 PM   #29

Ira - I won't say I'm not going to buy one because I could be talked into one in a year or two. However, I think if I'm going to buy something large and heavy, the DA*200 f2.8 might be a better choice for me.

Biro - I think it's more a reflection that I've gotten so used to top quality lenses recently and I'm just not sure that I'm as willing to compromise as I had been before. Or it could be that mine isn't a perfect lens. It's not decentered, but I'm not happy with the edges. The center is pretty sharp, but the edges sometimes show weird distortion. I took a bunch of pictures of a brick wall and it seemed quite reasonable in those pictures. It's pretty soft wide open, and stays soft at 300 mm. I got it mostly for having something around 200mm and I have the A300, so that's not a big limitation for me. I just seem to like primes better than zoom lenses - which is why I'm leaning more to the DA*200 over the DA*60-250. I can't do anything about it since I've already spent my annual photo budget for the year.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:44 PM   #30

Ah, I understand. Like you, I bought the 55-300 so I could have a lens that long without spending too much money. So far, I've had no major problems with it - but, as I said, I haven't been using it all that much. I wonder if the lower resolution of the K200D vs. the K20D is covering up any of the lens's shortcomings.

Either way, down the road, I'd like a DA* lens in that focal range. The DA* 60-250 sounds great. But I imagine I'd want something at 300mm+. I suppose, with an f/2.8 lens, using a 2x teleconverter wouldn't be a problem. Of course, there's always the "Bigma," but that lens is like carrying around a cannon. :-)