Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1

This news has been swirling about various Pentax forums in the past few hours. Just thought I'd let anyone not yet aware of it know.

New camera announcement on 5/21. Rumors suggest this is not a successor to the K20D.

- Jason
Attached Images

Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:45 PM   #2

That's nice. My husband will NOT be happy to see that, especially since I just ordered my b-day present early. No. I'm not interested in another new camera. I'm very happy with my K20 - there's nothing wrong with it, takes great pictures. I'm skipping this next camera, no matter what it is. No way. No how. My budget for the year got blown when I decided to buy a tripod. I don't find the K20 to be lacking anything I need.

By the way, Jason, I'm going to be visiting SLO Friday - there's a bracket and plate I'm going to be picking up there, to go along with a couple of things coming from Adorama. I just hope I've made the right choices, some of my ideas changed at the last moment and I'm nervous.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:53 PM   #3

I'm far from reaching the limits of my K20, but I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest (barring simple color changes in models *cough* white & green K-m *cough*. If this thing has a square sensor, faster AF, 100% viewfinder, and/or HD video recording, I might upgrade.

I'm assuming you're going to Really Right Stuff? They're highly regarded in their field, considered by some to be on the same level as Arca-Swiss brackets.

On a tangent, the son of RRS' owner was a housemate of mine for a few months while I was in SLO. That was before I realized how big RRS was. Now I regret not trying to get a discount on one of their K20D brackets through him :lol:

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:19 PM   #4

Oh, my, too bad you didn't realize just what RRS was! Yes - I'm going to be getting the RRS L-bracket and the lever QR plate. I was going to buy their smaller ball head, but Gitzo has a rebate at the moment - $100 cash back if you buy both a head and tripod. So I ended up ordering the Gitzo head, it will work out cheaper.

Sometime later on, I'll consider their macro rails. I want to look at them when I'm there - I've looked at some at my local camera store that were MUCH cheaper, but didn't seem very substantial/sturdy. I'm just not sure how much I'd use it since 98% of my macro is hand-held at the moment. Once I get a proper tripod that might change, we'll see.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:17 AM   #5

I've only heard rumors about the specs of this new camera but I can't wait to see the final product. From the rumors that I heard, it is not a big enough jump from the k20d for me to get it. I currently have the k20d and it is good enough for me.

But I am happy to see pentax bringing out a new camera. I can't wait to see the final product even though I probability skip on this model.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:48 AM   #6

I keep hearing rumors on specs, etc. There are a couple of key areas in which substantial improvements might convince me to upgrade....especially AF improvements and burst rate. I really don't care about movie mode. Although Uncle Sam put a dent in the fund I've been putting aside for a possible upgrade, I will look at it very carefully, but probably won't a a "first adopter."

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:02 AM   #7

Having just received my K20D a few weeks ago, and at the time knowing that something new (and probably improved) was going to come out - I made my choice. At the current price (and I am sure that the remaining K20s will drop in price somewhat after 5/21 or when ever the "newK' is delivered) I thought was very attractive (with the 3 year warranty to boot!). Probably not the absolute lowest, but close enough and it hit my threshold.

So far I see nothing that the K20 will not let me do. It should be more than enough camera for quite a while - heck, I used the K100 for nearly 4 years now, and learned quite a bit - and there are a lot of *ist still taking great images and posting here (if I could only be that good). As with computers - there will be something new next week.

I have spent 4 years now acquiring the lenses I am interested in, and now really believe that the K20 makes great use of them. I have quite a number of ideas that I want to try out, and now have the tools to make them work.

I was expecting to be over in San Diego for the next 6 to 8 weeks working on a proposal and taking images - ideas that I tested out with my Christmas present, a little LX3. However, I pulled up lame and had surgery last Monday, so I had to send some other folks over in my place. Still have the ideas though - and plan to try them out and see what happens - just delayed till the next time I get over there.

I am sure the new camera will be nice - however I am set for quite a while......

... I am not camera limited - just currently skill limited...

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:48 AM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I'd like to see better performance in the area of noise and dynamic range. For my needs, burst rate of the K20D is plenty.

BTW, any one heard what has happened to the DA*60-250mm f/4 lens? Is it still on the way or has it been killed?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 1:03 PM   #9

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to see better performance in the area of noise and dynamic range. For my needs, burst rate of the K20D is plenty.

BTW, any one heard what has happened to the DA*60-250mm f/4 lens? Is it still on the way or has it been killed?
Supposed to be tomorrow April 24th 09.

http://translate.google.com/translat.../06/10629.html

Here are some sample image
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=31668274

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 2:51 PM   #10

Hi All,

The most interesting rumors I've read or heard are:

Taller prism housing would allow a larger more highly magnified viewfinder -- maybe with a "heads up" type LCD overlay showing all the exposure parameters and maybe a real time histogram. This would be revolutionary and very nice, IMO.

Shorter (front to back) but taller prism housing allows for the same height offset for the onboard flash, but allows the user to see the aperture ring on those lenses that have them -- this might indicate a non-crippled KAF mount -- allowing auto metering and stop down with K and M type and A type lenses when not on the "A" setting. This might really be a great thing for legacy glass users but really has not a lot of bearing for me since I decided long ago that I'd stick with "A" capable lenses.

Square sensor -- an interesting idea, but it would essentially eliminate potential battery grip sales -- or maybe the vertical battery grip will will become just an extra battery/memory compartment add-on with no extra shutter button and its potential problems (I have a BG2, but rarely have used it). This would be good for my use, and would make the non-swiveling AF 360 more useful for more people.

I personally don't have any need for rounded corners on the pentaprism housing or the top of the camera, and kind of like the retro look -- and the possibility of an alloy body indicated by the old style strap lugs.

I'd appreciate faster, more accurate AF, better AFC with more focus points and predictive AFC, since I really have to rely on AF a lot of the time. I'd also probably like more FPS, but this is less of an issue for me. Higher useable ISO and better IQ would always be nice, as would a dedicated AF assist light. . . but all that's been said ad ifinitum. . .

I'll wait and see what actually appears -- hopefully it will be as revolutionary as the Pentax execs feel it will be -- . . . just a month to wait.

The speculations about new models is a little bit of fun for a while, but I'm kinda glad this forum does not obsess about these things.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote