Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 24, 2009, 1:05 AM   #1

I've been playing around with post processing recently, mostly with HDR.

Here's a couple of shots I've been playing with:

HDR Monochrome:

HDR Urban Style (please notice the "camera" on the building, center left. Bet you can guess what type of store that is):

Low Contrast:

I'm not sure I like it. I really like all that detail, but is it too busy?

High Contrast:

I'm not sure about this one for the opposite reason - I think there may be too much blank black space in it. I was looking for this stark, simplistic look, just not so sure it works that well with this particular picture. Would it be better if I cropped off the reflection and just left the tree stump by itself? There would be less black undefined space. I really liked the texture of the old wood.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:58 PM   #2

Really impressed with #2. What kind of software are you using?
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:02 AM   #3

Photomatix - I played around with it for a couple of weeks before finally paying the fee for the unlock codes. It has a number of controls, so you can make it so no one would guess it's an HDR picture, like the first one, or where you get a more HDR look to it - like the second one. I then resized and did a bit of other things in CS4. The traffic lights were a problem - I used rather long shutter speeds and the lights changed between frames so the center of some of the green lights were red and the center of some of the red lights were black (the program didn't know what to do with that). I did some processing to make them appropriately colored. It can do some strange things to certain colors once in a while and I'm not good enough with mixing colors to correct it on my own (hence the third one being black and white).
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:09 AM   #4

The first shot has lovely colour, nice depth and the reflection is amazing. The 2nd shot is brilliant, the lighting fabulous.
The 3rd is fascinating in its complexities and the last is so dark and brooding, almost scary.
Keep on experimenting.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:13 AM   #5

Hi, Rodney! Thanks for the complements and how are things down in your area?
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:41 AM   #6

The first two are quite nice. I really like the first one. The third and fourth I'm not crazy about. But, that's just me.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:45 PM   #7

Harriet, I'm being spoilt by your pictures (I think we have grown a lot both U&Me since we started out in this forum) so I won't comment all. But the cityscape is r e m a r c a b l e, you keep raising the bar.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 9:05 PM   #8

Exceptional work Harriet, I am not usually a fan of HDR because I have seen so many heavy-handed applications of the technology. You have created subtle images without the haloing and surreal detail of the cruder images I am more familiar with. They are all great but I particularly like the first image.

I agree with Kjell, the constant improvement in your images is something for you to be very proud of. Well done, very well done.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:50 PM   #9

Harriet, We have been lucky here in Brisbane , we have had floods to the north and those dreadful bush fires down south, but all we had here is drought, which is almost over after our first good rains in ten years.

Rodney
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:07 AM   #10

#2 and #3 are my personal favorites. Composition, lighting and exposure are all wonderful in the urban landscape. As for #3, I don't find it too busy at all. Literally, the image draws one in and literally immurses one in the scene. Looking deep into the picture, I feel like I'm on the island set from the original King Kong movie of 1933.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote