Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:53 AM   #1

Hi right now i have a Canon 40D i am keeping it but i want to buy another dslr and want a Pentax which one would be a good one that compares to my 40D? thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:22 AM   #2

Morning Herc,

So I guess I get to start things off (maybe)... Welcome to the Forum and Pentax!!!

You may have read these, or not - but I think that they might be a valuable read relative to your question...
  • This first thread, I think is very enlightening and informative. Read it through to the end - it may have an ending that might surprise you...[/*]
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80
  • I just ran across this one (updated) this morning - from a person who just concluded the switch to Pentax. A discussion of selecting the K200 or K20 body.
    [/*]
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87
  • I just upgraded to the K20 after using the K100 (entry level) for a bit over 4 years. The discussion will probably help clarify and touch on various capabilities and functionalities that may be of interest to you (K20 body).
    [/*]
First - there is a new body being announced on 5/21 that you may wish to consider - no specs as of yet. Being referred to as the "summer camera", K30, "newK" and/or K7. It is suppose to not replace the K20, but have features and capabilities beyond the K20 in a new body style.
Second - Here is a quick overview of Pentax's current dSLR bodies
  • K20D - Current Top of the line (for the next month) - 14MP - currently being heavily discounted per the new announcement - great deals are available (with a 3 year warranty). Introduced about 14 months ago.
    [/*]
  • K200D - 10MP - introduced about 12 months ago - basically a K10 repackaged. - currently discontinued but still available.
    [/*]
  • KM or K2000 - 10MP - entry level depending on your part of the world - one important difference is that the lens mount is plastic, but appears to have better auto-focusing speed than the K20. Just announced about 6 months ago.
    [/*]
Third- Here is a quick overview of Pentax's prior dSLR bodies (discontinued but may still be available) - also a bit of history since they are still very heavily used here in the forum.
  • K10D - Was Top of the line - 10MP - was replaced by the K20D, and was the base internals for the K200D.
    [/*]
  • K100D & K100D Super- 6MP - first entry level body with image stabilization.
    [/*]
  • K110D - 6MP - entry level body without image stabilization.[/*]
It would probably help to know what your going to use the camera for?
Questions of your need for auto-focus speed would probably help also.

Hope this helps for now - enjoy!!!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:39 AM   #3

Hello,

What do you use you 40D for & what do you want to use the Pentax dSLR for?

Probably a good starting point to determine what camera will be the acceptable compromise to what you want to try to do.

Also, what gear do you have for you 40D?

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies i love my 40D but was thinking of also buying a Pentax, i usually use my 40D for all kinds of photography like mostly landscapes, but also portrait and soccer games that my son plays on his team pretty much everything, my gear i use is Tamron 17-50, Tamron 18-270 VC, Sigma 30 1.4 Prime, Sigma 10-20, Canon speedlight 430EX
Old Apr 24, 2009, 2:32 PM   #5

Hey, what a surprise my friend! So, which 'Pentax' DSLR? : )

interested_obseveroffers a very useful andextensive explanation above. Well assuming I know 'a little' about yourphotographic interests I'll be brief! According to my observations so far including the equivalent models fromother brands also (but whose prices are more!), I find K20D agreat camera in terms of image quality. If Ididn't have the K10D, that would be camera I would start with!Some findthe K20Dnoisier at higher iso levels.However you gain more detail! Below are three crops from Phil'sfamous photographic tests! Theywere [email protected] iso 1600with the Canon 40D, Nikon D300 and K20D...But I applied a quicknoise removal on image taken with the K20D.Please identify your favourite one

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 2:53 PM   #6

bahadir wrote:
Quote:

Hey, what a surprise my friend! So, which 'Pentax' DSLR? : )

interested_obseveroffers a very useful andextensive explanation above. Well assuming I know 'a little' about yourphotographic interests I'll be brief! According to my observations so far including the equivalent models fromother brands also (but whose prices are more!), I find K20D agreat camera in terms of image quality. If Ididn't have the K10D, that would be camera I would start with!Some findthe K20Dnoisier at higher iso levels.However you gain more detail! Below are three crops from Phil'sfamous photographic tests! Theywere [email protected] iso 1600with the Canon 40D, Nikon D300 and K20D...But I applied a quicknoise removal on image taken with the K20D.Please identify your favourite one

HA, HA, arkadas i knew you would be jumping in here soon i don't know what got into me, i want to jump onto the Pentax bandwagon also:G i am really thinking about the K20D, about the noise i saw on this other site this person put 1600 and 3200 ISO test shots with the K20D and the 40D and to be fair i didn't see any difference I'll see if i can find the site again and post it here, also on the image you posted it's to small as i can't click on it, thanks my friend
Old Apr 24, 2009, 2:57 PM   #7

My friend if the image is supposed to be that size, looking at it i would have to say i like the top left one better
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:05 PM   #8

Morning again Herc,

Do you have a store close to you that carries Pentax so that your able to handle the units? Between the K20D, K200D and the K2000/KM, there are differences in size and weight, along with placement of controls that may determine your selection right away. The K20D is the largest while the KM is the smallest. The K20D has the most controls over settings, while the K200D and KM provide many easily set shooting modes for entry level users. That may direct your decision also. It certainly appears that your well beyon an entry level user, so are you looking for a more advanced camera with advanced controls and functions?

There is a difference in sensor technology also. The K20 uses a Samsung CMOS while the others use the CCD Sony sensor.

JohnG will say that Pentax is not a sport shooters camera, which is probably true given its relatively slow auto focus and continous re auto focus. But quite a few of the posters here have shown great sport action shots. Your milage may vary here.

I believe that Pentax excels in landscapes and portraits (there is a French fashion photographer that uses a K20D and does wonder work).

Are you looking for the same or more resolution? K200 = 40D, K20 > 40D

Where do you want to go on the ISO speed?

Does Bracketing matter to you? 3 frames or 5 frames?

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:05 PM   #9

Bout time i found it,, here is the site looks really good the only thing that i kind of like more on the 40D is the color and i just wanted to add on noise software i have noise ninja and yesterday i downloaded noiseware and let me say that is a fantastic noise software much better than ninja, but also using a dslr if you take the 40D or K20D 3200 ISO and use PS CS4 noise remover i think that it does a superb job try it and you'll see

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...-friendly.html
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:14 PM   #10

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Morning again Herc,

Do you have a store close to you that carries Pentax so that your able to handle the units? Between the K20D, K200D and the K2000/KM, there are differences in size and weight, along with placement of controls that may determine your selection right away. The K20D is the largest while the KM is the smallest. The K20D has the most controls over settings, while the K200D and KM provide many easily set shooting modes for entry level users. That may direct your decision also. It certainly appears that your well beyon an entry level user, so are you looking for a more advanced camera with advanced controls and functions?

There is a difference in sensor technology also. The K20 uses a Samsung CMOS while the others use the CCD Sony sensor.

JohnG will say that Pentax is not a sport shooters camera, which is probably true given its relatively slow auto focus and continous re auto focus. But quite a few of the posters here have shown great sport action shots. Your milage may vary here.

I believe that Pentax excels in landscapes and portraits (there is a French fashion photographer that uses a K20D and does wonder work).

Are you looking for the same or more resolution? K200 = 40D, K20 > 40D

Where do you want to go on the ISO speed?

Does Bracketing matter to you? 3 frames or 5 frames?

Thanks agian,, see here in Sparta they don't have Pentax dslr's that i can see up front as they only have pentax compact and nokia dslr or canon,, for pentax dslr i would have to drive to Athens and it's a 2 hour drive no time, so i would have to order over the phone or internet, now i would think that 3 frames per sec is good enough for me, and i would want the high ISO speed though, boy this is a sickness camera bodies lenses the full catastrophe now i got to go battle with my wife LOL