Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 25, 2009, 4:53 PM   #1

first off, let me apologize for the poor quality of these pix. I have been having some very strange problems with my camera lately. more on that later...

African Geese come in 3 varieties, brown, white and buff. This pair is unusual, not because of the mixed species but, because the white goose is missing one leg. look closely, how many legs do you see? Think it's just the angle?

Ok, then check this one out...

Still not convinced?

It's really true!
The interesting thing, is how attentive the gander was to his mate. they tended to stay off to themselves but, weren't completely anti social.

Another ting I observed while there, was how the brown geese got along as a group better, the white one's seem to fight more. I witnessed 3 fights in one hour. the first was 1 on 1, so was another but with a third coming to the rescue and another that was an out right gang fight!
I'll post those shots in another thread.
GW:bye:

oh yeah, in this entire flock of geese, there was one Toulouse goose. :-? very pretty and very tame.

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:49 PM   #2

Hi GW,

Very Nice!!! I pretty much ignore most of the waterfowl since I have literally thousands of shots of the usual suspects, but I do keep a lookout for the unusual ones.

About your focusing problem -- have you contacted Pentax Service to see if they know anything? I haven't seen anyone else whose had this problem with the firmware v1.03, so it might be a problem with your camera's SR.

I have seen that with the K20, it is supposed to be possible to retroinstall v1.01 over v1.03. I don't know where you might be able to download it now, or if there is anything special that you have to do to install it, but it's worth looking into. I never downloade/installed it because I don't do many long exposures, and never ran across the hot pixel problem.

If you contact Pentax, you might ask them if they can send you a copy of v1.01 firmware.

Another thought -- have you tried any tripod mounted shots with SR off? -- might be SR and not focus. . . if you could lock down on what the problem is, it would probably get you to a solution faster.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 7:28 PM   #3

Hey Scott,
I'm still trying to nail it down myself. I seem to be going back and forth between front focusing, back focusing, and not getting any focus at all. once in a while I get lucky and ne actually comes out in focus. :-?
I'm going to set up the tripod and focus chart tomorrow and write everything down as I try and figure out what's going on. :? then I'm calling Pentax.
:!:
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:44 PM   #4

Nice series, they look fine to me, great detail in the last one.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:46 AM   #5

Interesting how the gander looks after his mate. The Canadian Goose I saw up at Bass Lake that was missing a foot didn't seem to have anyone looking out after it. It was accepted in the flock up to a point, but couldn't come too close to some of the others.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:56 AM   #6

Nothing wrong with those shots! Also enjoyed the commentary.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 5:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the comments y'all.

Glen, the problem is what's in focus compared to what my focus point was.
in the last pic I focused on the water between the breast of the geese to get pic as sharp as I could.
:-?