Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:48 AM   #11

The DA55-300 isn't bad for a consumer zoom, it's better than some of the others. However, these were taken with the A*300. I might have been able to get the first one and the panning shotwith the 55-300 sincethey werecropped quite a bit, but the picture of the 7 egrets would not have been possible. My copy of the lens has a fair amount of distortion at the edges/corners. Mine also seems to be a 55-290 or so - the field of view at 300 is a bit wider than the prime lens. I'm going to be very interested in your reaction to your copy of the DA when you get it.

I'm not sure whether the last one would have been quite the same with the zoom, either. I'm notsure you can see that well on this reduced size, but the mountain beyond the birds is slightly OOF, while the birds and the treesare sharp. I haven't really played much with comparison shots at longer distances but suspect the DA lens will go to infinity much closer than the A lens will - it's minimum focus point is a whole lot closer than the A (which is something like 11 feet, but always feels like more to me since I'm so horrible at figuring distances).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:39 AM   #12

Hello Harriet!

I really love the reflections in the 1st shot. Really adds to it.

Also, . . .

You mentioned about HDR and how its not possible with moving subjects.

I just scanned through the K20D manual and there is the expanded dynamic range setting.

Have you played around with this & what's your thoughts on it?

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:29 PM   #13

I've gone back and forth a bit when it comes to their expanded dynamic range setting. You automatically start at 200 ISO, which isn't much a limitation unless you want a slower shutter speed in bright light. It seemed to me it helped not blow out the highlights if you have something really bright. But the disadvantage is that you introduce extra noise in the shadowsat much lower ISO levels than you would normally see them at - it was bothersome to me at ISO 400 (I normally don't notice at that ISO at all). So it would help if you always "expose to the right" but not so much if you are shooting something that doesn't allow that for some reason. I ended up just leaving it on the regular setting and making do with software to extend things. These egrets might have worked out well using the setting, since these birds are SO white.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:05 PM   #14

Hello Harriet,

Thanks for the reply.

Your mention of the appearance of noise in the shadows is something that you wouldn't see in the manual. <grin>

As for usage, I wasn't thinking so much for your 1st image, I was just curious about what you thought about it.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote