Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:19 AM   #1

This is one of the first pictures I took using the new tripod set-up. It was taken at a pond, but at a fair distance, it's been cropped a fair amount. The birds were far enough away that I couldn't see the turtle on the tree until I looked at the picture at 100%. I wouldn't have seen it anyway, that many egrets are blinding!

I normally can't reliably hold the 300mm lens steady at 1/250 sec, so I would have used a large aperture if I hadn't been shooting with the tripod. The only problem is that several of the birds took off, and I still had the camera set at f11 but no specified shutter speed - the in-flight pictures have way too much motion blur. But the ones that I took before they took off came out very well.

Oh yes - forget about doing HDR with several different exposures - birds move enough to make it impossible for the program to properly line up.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:39 AM   #2

Nice shot, love the reflections. It 's incredible what you can find in your shots you didn't see at the time, that turtle is a real bonus.
What a difference a day and a tripod makes :-)
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:12 AM   #3

I am looking forward to some wonderful shots with your new Gitzo! A good tripod is a thing of beauty and a joy forever!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:53 PM   #4

Really nice Harriet.
4 in one shot is is a rarity too.
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the compliments. There were more than 4 birds in this area - this is a crop because I wanted to show the turtle. I think one of the pictures I took has 6 or 7 of them in it. I was amazed to see so many, and they are beautiful birds in their breeding plummage.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:02 PM   #6

Great capture - your equipment is fine, but the talent would shine through even without all the great "stuff." We had a few egrets visit in late winter, and I got a really cute shot of several of them, high in a tree, watching the snow fall. They looked puzzled!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:38 PM   #7

Thanks for the complement, mole. At least the egrets you saw would have good camouflage - around here the bright white stands out - you can't miss these birds, even from a mile off.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:19 PM   #8

Here's another picture. There were actually 7 birds, and another one on the other side of the lake by itself.

P.S. There's lots to think of when taking pictures of flying birds - shutter speed being one of them. I had been taking shots of these birds sitting beside the pond, using a tripod and had the camera set to f11, with no specified shutter speed. A couple of them got startled when someone else drove up and they took off. I didn't have time to set any shutter speed, or change the camera to P mode, which might decide on a faster shutter speed, or turn on SR. Only two were marginal - the rest were horrible.

Panning:

And flying away:

Next time I hope I take the time to change to TAv and set a fast shutter speed!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:54 AM   #9

Wow! Putting that tripod to good use. That first one is great.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:55 AM   #10

Great i like all shots well done i take it they were shot with the 55-300 i have heard very nice things about that lens and ordered one today
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote