Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:55 AM   #11

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Hello Goldwinger,

Is there enough detail in the flower to crop within it? Get rid of the background and just let the viewer focus on what is happening within the flower?

I did that a couple of weeks back to this image.

Yeah. I know. It's a dandelion.

My daughter came running up to me with a big smile on her face as she hands me a flower so that I could take a picture of it. As it turned out, it was a dandelion. <smile> But, not to let her down, I promised to take a picture of it.

Take care,
Glen

Hey Glen,
I have no problem with dandelions as subjects, I think they're great ... Check out this thread. ... Jack.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:44 AM   #12

GW, Here's further refinement of my original take ... I made a loose selection of the area around the flower with plenty of feather ... opened curves, selected the flower

colour with the eyedropper, which shows me the point on the curve to boost the flower, followed by a boost of saturation for the same selected area. Works for me,

what do you think ?. ... Jack
Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:48 AM   #13

Hello jachol!

I love your dandelion shots.

That second one, with the square crop, is, well, beautiful -- even for a dandelion <grin>.

And your last comment about how half your shots are macros got me inspired.

Have you posted anything in the current Biweekly Shoot Out?

I just took a macro shot last night of a spider to play around with macros and I tried to use my extension tubes.

I think I'll play around with them a lot over the next little while.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:12 AM   #14

Hello Glen, Thanks for your comments. Sadly no entries in the bi-weekly I haven't looked in there recently... not much activity with the camera either at the moment, I

have a gammy knee that's restricting much movement even indoors, a round of the garden would be an ordeal I can manage without, it's a pity really because at this

time of year macro opportunity is at a premium in gardens, at least that's so in mine. ... Jack.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:12 PM   #15

a200user wrote:
Quote:
I seem to remember a similar flower shot that I gave you some assistance on awhile back. So if you allow me a lot of creative freedom, I really prefer this composition:

Yep, I remember well Jim,
I cracked up the first time and laughed even harder this time!

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:21 PM   #16

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Just my opinion, but flowers are one of those things that often don't look right when you follow the rule of thirds. That's because so often (and it's the case in your picture) the area around the flower isn't particularly interesting or useful. When I once presented a picture of a flower that was perfectly lined up on the lower left third line, he grimaced and said I should get closer, fill the frame as much as possible with the flower. For the most part, I've found that wise advice (though it really depends on your scene and what you have around the flower). Jim's crop is probably about as good as you are going to get with what you have. The flower is very pretty, and would be worth revisiting if you can.
I agree Harriet,
I"ll revisit the flower again since it's out beside my driveway, and see what I can do.
:-) I'm going to have to wait till Linda gets home though and borrow her camera, I'm still having problems with mine. I just took over 100 pix at the lake after work and not one turned out. Yesterday I took some and they all came out fine.:-? no rhyme or reason for the results.
GW:bye:
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:26 PM   #17

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Hello Goldwinger,
(snip)

Yeah. I know. It's a dandelion.

My daughter came running up to me with a big smile on her face as she hands me a flower so that I could take a picture of it. As it turned out, it was a dandelion. <smile> But, not to let her down, I promised to take a picture of it.

Take care,
Glen

I think its a great shot glen and knowing the story behind it makes it even more special!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:28 PM   #18

Jack, I like both of them better than my original.
Like Pen said, I didn't give you guys much to work with!
:G
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:40 PM   #19

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Jack, I like both of them better than my original.
Like Pen said, I didn't give you guys much to work with!
:G
Thanks John, Try out Harriets idea on the original, give it the shadow/highlight treatment first then do a square crop of just the leaves and the flower. I think you'd

end up with a nice pic. I did try it on your posted one, but there just isn't enough resolution to make it work. ... just my thoughts. ... Jack.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:54 PM   #20

Hello jachol,

I'm sorry to hear that you are laid up.

Do you have an ETA on when you think you'll be back at it full power?

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote