Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

OK, sometimes it just seems right, and then sometimes I can't for the life of me decide how to crop for the most appealing effect. :-?
Anyone care to give it a shot?

GW:bye:


Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:32 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

No matter how you cut it I don't think the lighting is going to let it work as it is. The dark background won't let the shaded leaves surrounding the flower stand out, the flower is only partly sunlit, the sunlit leaves overpower the shaded flower and darker leaves, and the bright section of background distracts from the shaded subject. Fill flash or waiting for better lighting might have made a big difference. Someone might come up with an acceptable crop, but it might take some manipulation in photoshop. You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out -- sorry to rain on your parade since your shots are usually pretty good, but IMHO this one isn't worth messing with.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
a200user's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Western New York
Posts: 942
Default

Following the rule of thirds I tried cropping to place the flower in the upper right, lower right, upper left, lower left quadrant of both a landscape and portrait orientation. Nothing really popped, but if I had to choose I prefer this;

I tweaked the levels, put a slight "s" in curves adjustment, and some USM.


Attached Images
 
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:38 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

penolta wrote:
Quote:
No matter how you cut it I don't think the lighting is going to let it work as it is. The dark background won't let the shaded leaves surrounding the flower stand out, the flower is only partly sunlit, the sunlit leaves overpower the shaded flower and darker leaves, and the bright section of background distracts from the shaded subject. Fill flash or waiting for better lighting might have made a big difference. Someone might come up with an acceptable crop, but it might take some manipulation in photoshop. You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out -- sorry to rain on your parade since your shots are usually pretty good, but IMHO this one isn't worth messing with.
Well Pen...
That might explain why I couldn't do anything with it!
:G
I don't know enough about art to know what to do but, I can usually tell when it isn't working.:roll:
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 5:41 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Goldwinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 6,515
Default

a200user wrote:
Quote:
Following the rule of thirds I tried cropping to place the flower in the upper right, lower right, upper left, lower left quadrant of both a landscape and portrait orientation. Nothing really popped, but if I had to choose I prefer this;

I tweaked the levels, put a slight "s" in curves adjustment, and some USM.

LOL, Jim you posted this while I was posting a reply to Penolta. :G
I gotta say, you did a pretty good job with it!

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
a200user's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Western New York
Posts: 942
Default

I seem to remember a similar flower shot that I gave you some assistance on awhile back. So if you allow me a lot of creative freedom, I really prefer this composition:


Attached Images
 
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 6:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
penolta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California USA
Posts: 5,206
Default

a200user wrote:
Quote:
I seem to remember a similar flower shot that I gave you some assistance on awhile back.* So if you allow me a lot of creative freedom, I really prefer this composition:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,052
Default

Just my opinion, but flowers are one of those things that often don't look right when you follow the rule of thirds. That's because so often (and it's the case in your picture) the area around the flower isn't particularly interesting or useful. When I once presented a picture of a flower that was perfectly lined up on the lower left third line, he grimaced and said I should get closer, fill the frame as much as possible with the flower. For the most part, I've found that wise advice (though it really depends on your scene and what you have around the flower). Jim's crop is probably about as good as you are going to get with what you have. The flower is very pretty, and would be worth revisiting if you can.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:21 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
tacticdesigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 998
Default

Hello Goldwinger,

Is there enough detail in the flower to crop within it? Get rid of the background and just let the viewer focus on what is happening within the flower?

I did that a couple of weeks back to this image.



Yeah. I know. It's a dandelion.

My daughter came running up to me with a big smile on her face as she hands me a flower so that I could take a picture of it. As it turned out, it was a dandelion. <smile> But, not to let her down, I promised to take a picture of it.

Take care,
Glen



tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:52 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
jachol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW. England
Posts: 1,201
Default

GW, Here's my take ... In PS I used the Shadow/Highlights filter to open up the shadows some, then a crop with the rule of thirds in mind + a slight Hipass sharpen

to finish. Hope you like it ... Jack
Attached Images
 
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.