Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:32 AM   #1

Ok i received my K20D yesterday i really like the way the camera feels in my hand, the 40D is more bulkier and i like the looks of the K20D myself, the only thing i needed to get used to was with the shutter button on the K20D as on the 40D it is more stiff, i shot off shots before i could focus with the K20D but an hour later i got used to it,
these comparison shots are just in jpeg and nothing done to them except resizing
40D, Tamron 17-50 2.8
K20D Pentax 17-70 also let me say the Tamron lens is no match for the Pentax lens
and really needs no cropping to tell the difference.

first shot K20D 50mm f/8

40D 50mm f/8

K20D 17mm f/8

40D 17mm f/8

K20D ISO 1600 set to strongest as in the off position it had a little more noise
than the 40D but set to strongest i think is a little better than 40D,

40D ISO 1600

K20D 3200 ISO Strongest

40D ISO 3200

K20D ISO 100 F/5.6 On Tripod

40D ISO 100 F/5.6 On Tripod

On both cameras white balance is off but more so with the 40D, but look at the detail on the Pentax

K20D ISO 100 f/5.6

40D ISO 100 f/5.6

K20D ISO 6400 Strongest, i think for ISO 6400 it look pretty good, i really like this Pentax but i think i could like that lady on T.V better:G

ok here are 2 more from the K20D ISO 1600 and 3200 with it set to off you be the judge how it compared to the 40D,

Thats it but so far i like the Pentax better

hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:50 AM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
K20D ISO 1600 set to strongest as in the off position it had a little more noise
than the 40D but set to strongest i think is a little better than 40D
It looks like the shutter speeds being used with the 40D at ISO 1600 and 3200 are roughly twice as fast for the same aperture and ISO speed, compared to the K20D photos.

So, you'd need to use ISO 3200 with the K20D to get close to the same shutter speeds you were getting at ISO 1600 with the 40D; and ISO 6400 with the K20D to get close to the same shutter speeds you were getting with the 40D at ISO 3200. ;-)

I'd try it in more controlled conditions and see what you get (for example, using manual exposure with both cameras).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:26 AM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
than the 40D but set to strongest i think is a little better than 40D
It looks like the shutter speeds being used with the 40D at ISO 1600 and 3200 are roughly twice as fast for the same aperture and ISO speed, compared to the K20D photos.

So, you'd need to use ISO 3200 with the K20D to get close to the same shutter speeds you were getting at ISO 1600 with the 40D; and ISO 6400 with the K20D to get close to the same shutter speeds you were getting with the 40D at ISO 3200. ;-)

I'd try it in more controlled conditions and see what you get (for example, using manual exposure with both cameras).
Hi Jim thanks for viewing the shutter speed for the K20D was 1/180sec, and compensation was at +1,
40D was at ISO 1600 1/320sec compensation +0.33 and at ISO 3200 1/640sec +0.33
i don't have the 40D anymore as my friend bought it from me.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:00 AM   #4

Hello hercules,

Yeah! You got your K20D & Thank you for posting comparison pictures!

For the 1st set of interior shots (pictures 5 & 6), did you have both cameras on Auto-White-Balance & which camera more accurately shows the colour of the room out-of-camera without much processing? And separately, which are you more happy with?

Also, I noticed with images 9 & ten that the Pentax shot looks a little warm. Is that Pentax's AWB having difficulty with the mix of daylight and tungsten lights?

Any comparison images you post, I'm going to take a close look at.

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:08 AM   #5

"i don't have the 40D anymore as my friend bought it from me."

Wow, I guess no more comparison shots! <grin>

You've completely switched to Pentax. Bold move.

Congrats! & It's funtime! <smile>

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:43 AM   #6

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Hello hercules,

Yeah! You got your K20D & Thank you for posting comparison pictures!

For the 1st set of interior shots (pictures 5 & 6), did you have both cameras on Auto-White-Balance & which camera more accurately shows the colour of the room out-of-camera without much processing? And separately, which are you more happy with?

Also, I noticed with images 9 & ten that the Pentax shot looks a little warm. Is that Pentax's AWB having difficulty with the mix of daylight and tungsten lights?

Any comparison images you post, I'm going to take a close look at.

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

Thanks Glen yes white balance was auto for both cameras but the colors are more truer from the K20D as it looks to the eye there was also no post processing done to none, which am i more happy with i wish i could have both but if i had to choose one the edge goes to the Pentax for me as i like the size and it has much more in the menu system and i haven't even learned it yet lol, tomorrow i will have the Pentax 55-300 and next month the Pentax 35m 2.0 prime and the pentax 540 flash
on #9 & #10 both cameras WB is off but the K20D has much more detail it also could be the pentax 17-70 lens that is a gem pretty nice one there
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:11 PM   #7

Hey hercules!

It looks like you are going to have quite the collection of lens in short order.

Have you ever thought of the Pentax 10-17 Fish-eye?

That was one of the nice things about the Pentax platform is that it's fish-eye lens, at least here in Canada, was a couple hundred dollars less than what you could get into a fish-eye lens in the Nikon or Canon platform.

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:35 PM   #8

Oh, yeah,

When you get your AF540FGZ, you'll automatically be able to use it off camera and trigger it with the on-board flash of the K20D -- Nice!

No need for a separate off-camera trigger or cable.

Perfect for impromptu portrait shots.

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:16 PM   #9

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Oh, yeah,

When you get your AF540FGZ, you'll automatically be able to use it off camera and trigger it with the on-board flash of the K20D -- Nice!

No need for a separate off-camera trigger or cable.

Perfect for impromptu portrait shots.

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

That sounds great oh and i haven't thought about the fisheye lens as the others are first priority
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:45 PM   #10

Hi Hercules,

Thanks for the image posts and from my personal experience, this is not much of a suprise.

I have photographed heavily in the past with the Canon 40D and the Sigma 500/4.5 for wildlife/nature/birding. I received them as part of a sponsorship agreement for a wildlife photo competition. Regarding that competition: my two images with Pentax placed higher than my Canon images, but that could be my fault too. For reference, I shot over 10,000 images with the 40D, 4300 images with the K20D, and 600-700 with the K10D during the 4 trips over the 70 days (actually photographed for 28 days).

To be honest, the Canon 40D's LCD was a disappointment, as were the menus. This fact is acknowledged by more than a few Canon users. However, the 40Dimages quality wassuperb in brighter lighting conditions. In dimmer light my copy of the40D was relatively noisy at higher ISO values when I had to EV -0.3 or -0.7.This was very frustrating, since the Sigma has no OS, so to keep shutter speeds up, I had to EV -0.3 or more to ensure a sharper image in dimmer light.I rarely shot above ISO 1000 with the 40D, since it was noisier compared to the Pentax K20D I used at similar ISO settings in dimmer lighting conditions.I suspect to be truly satisfied with a Canon setup, I'd needa MK II or MK III pro body with better or best lenses.

I plan to try out some Nikon gear to see if the image quality (my main concern), including the D300 or possibly aD700. I would have to do some serious negotiating with my "supplier" to try out a D3 though!By doing that,I come away with a better understanding of each system.

Even though Pentax currently lacks against the competition in FPS and AF performance, I still prefer the image quality (IQ) of Pentax. It's because I dislike doing post processing from RAW - so little has to be done when I shoot with Pentax. Look forward to future posts.

Regards,
Marc
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote