Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:40 AM   #1

I am enjoying the K20D alot, when i set the camera to landscape setting and AV mode i think the default settings are in the middle except the contrast is set to +2 and saturation +1 but when viewing the pictures the greens are really saturated, i normally shoot raw anyway but wanted to know just in case i did shoot jpeg which would be the best settings, also on the top of the view screen how do i get it to show how many pictures i have left to shoot? as it only shows it when i release the shutter button then disappears, and last when i turn on the switch for the shake reduction and press the shutter button half way down i see the hand in the evf but the picture doesn't stop from moving, like on my other lens i had for my 40D that had IS the picture would stop bouncing, is there something in the menu that need to be turned on? thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2009, 7:49 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I shoot in either the "bright" mode which gives me a plesant rendition, or in the "natural" mode which may require a touch of PP.The landscape mode does provide a bit too much saturation for my liking.

Re. the picture moving in the viewfinder, because the SR is built into the sensor, you would not see the results of SR through the viewfinder (remember that what you see through the view finder is light that is reflected from the mirror that sits in front of the sensor. I believe that in cameras that uselens based shake reduction (Canon/Nikon), you would see the SR through the view finder. You may want totryf using the "live view" mode in the K20Dto seethe SR at work (I have not tried it...perhaps someone else has tried it).
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:53 AM   #3

I didn't particularly care for the default landscape settings either. The bright mode is what I use mostly, I think I lower the saturation a bit. Most recently I've been using the natural mode, then increasing the sharpening a bit. The colors are more muted, but its usually easier to add saturation later, than to take it away. Having slightly muted colors also increases the detail. I was shooting raw+ for a long time, but have more recently been just shooting raw only. Since I'm not on a trip or what-not, I think I might go back to the raw+. I was surprised that sometimes I preferred the jpg version over the raw.

Interesting about the top monitor. I'm going to have to look at mine because I use it all the time for how many shots I have left, and I don't remember it going away when I push the shutter. Or are you talking about the information in the viewfinder? If so, you can adjust how long the information shows after you half-press the shutter. It's in the custom menu, can't remember which one off the top of my head, though.

As jelpee pointed out, you've just discovered the disadvantage of having SR in-camera. I don't think using live view is going to help all that much, since it has a slight, butnoticeable delay for the image to show on the LCD. It bothered me when I was trying to use it hand-holding. You don't have that problem when you are using live view with the camera on a tripod, but then you wouldn't be using SR anyway. Catch-22.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 12:38 PM   #4

OK, y'all got to tell me what the heck you're talking about...landscape mode, bright, normal... where are you finding these settings? :-?

Herclues, if you're shooting in Sv or TAv mode then the picture count only shows for a few seconds then switches back to the ISO read out. well, at least that's the way mine is working, I can't swear that's the way its suppose to work.:G
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 1:06 PM   #5

Thanks everyone, @Goldwinger if you press fn button on the back then ok you will see a bunch of settings you can use, i usually shoot in RAW anyway i just need to figure out the right settings if i do shoot jpeg, i shoot in AV most of the time and i see my ISO then after i take a picture i see the picture count then i see the ISO again, there isn't a way to have it show both?

@mtngal i am talking about the top monitor it goes away and shows the ISO setting again i would want both to show
Old Apr 30, 2009, 2:07 PM   #6

Ok - now I know. I think it's an either/or situation, I don't believe you can show both. I tend to use P mostlyand don't worry too much about the ISO so I had never noticed that the "shot clock" would be replaced by the ISO in TAv and Sv.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:19 PM   #7

I shoot mostly landscape and I gotta say I don't use any of the presets on my k20d. I always leave it on Av or M and control the camera manually. I usually shot in RAW mode but if I happen to shoot in jpeg, I just leave the settings at default like the sharpness, contrast and everything. If I need to do any adjustment, I do it on the computer.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:41 PM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Ok - now I know. I think it's an either/or situation, I don't believe you can show both. I tend to use P mostlyand don't worry too much about the ISO so I had never noticed that the "shot clock" would be replaced by the ISO in TAv and Sv.
I figured it out, if you press the ok button on the back it will show you the count numbers
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:32 PM   #9

Just a test the SR works like a charm, 70mm, ISO 800, 0.3sec

Old May 1, 2009, 2:27 PM   #10

hercules wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone, @Goldwinger if you press fn button on the back then ok you will see a bunch of settings you can use, i usually shoot in RAW anyway i just need to figure out the right settings if i do shoot jpeg, i shoot in AV most of the time and i see my ISO then after i take a picture i see the picture count then i see the ISO again, there isn't a way to have it show both?

@mtngal i am talking about the top monitor it goes away and shows the ISO setting again i would want both to show
OK, now I remember seeing that before.
and thanks for the tip on pressing the OK button for the ISO/pic count, I didn't know that.
:G
GW:bye:
BTW, nice steady shot there, 0.03 sec!:shock:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote