Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:36 PM   #1

Hi All,

I originally went out to shop for a cabinet for my photo gear. . . but I stopped in at one of the largest Wolf Cameras in the area -- this one's not closing . . . yet. . . but there's something about closeouts that I just can't resist -- :-)

They had a new K100D Super in the case -- priced at $350 body only -- with a "clearance" tag -- and there was a sign that said "UP TO" an additional 25% off the tag price on selected "clearance" tagged items -- so I had to ask. . . I thought -- IF they take the full 25% off (not likely), that would be @ $80, so figure $270 -- at that price it might just be too good to pass. . .

The sales guy looked it up on the computer -- $245!!!!!! and even he was surprised. I took a good look at the body -- very clean and no battery in it. . . The sales guy said that they had just put it out that morning -- I had to buy it -- for the small body, classic 6MP sensor and its high ISO capability, the larger LCD (than the DS), SR, and SDM capability. -- for less than the price of a lower midline P&S! The sales guy confided that if I didn't buy it, he would have as soon as I left.:lol:

I also picked up a nice Sanyo AA charger since my Maha just died for no apparent reason. This charger is nice because it has an automatic cooling fan that blows air past the batteries while they charge -- $7.00 including 4 Sanyo NiMH 2500 mah batteries. . .

. . . but I didn't find a cabinet that I liked. . . I'll probably end up with a new car the next time I go out to look for one:-)

Scott
Attached Files
File Type: (0, 0 views)
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:51 PM   #2

At least my tale of the $14 reflector was a planned purchase...

That does sound like the proverbial offer you can't refuse. For that price, I'd be real tempted to buy one, too. While I don't need SDM on my alternate camera body at the moment, I've thought occasionally about the 17-70, and that's SDM only.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 10:40 AM   #3

Scott,

Nice find!

I don't know what you shoot with now but if this camera is surplus to your needs you can send it out and have the IR filter removed from the sensor and it would be a nice IR camera. I use a Hoya R72 filter on my K100D and get good results but it is difficult to set up the shot as you need to frame the shot and then put on the IR filter and set white balance then shoot (requiring use of a tripod). With the IR filter taken out it is a point and shoot IR camera.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 11:26 AM   #4

Be sure the cabinet is big enough. With that kind of buying, a cabinet will be full before you know it. Take it from The Voice of Experience. Buy two . . . No . . . buy three. :whack:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 1:59 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:

At least my tale of the $14 reflector was a planned purchase...

That does sound like the proverbial offer you can't refuse. For that price, I'd be real tempted to buy one, too. While I don't need SDM on my alternate camera body at the moment, I've thought occasionally about the 17-70, and that's SDM only.
Hi Harriet,

I only have the one SDM lens, so that's no excuse for this. . .:-) But the lack of SDM compatibility has, in the past, been a factor in choosing not to buy a K100 (not Super) in the past. I found myself saying " if it was a Super, I'd REALLY consider it. . ." but none that I had seen were even close to this price.

Scott
Old May 1, 2009, 2:05 PM   #6

Well Scott...
I'd be hard pressed to pass that up too!
and those batteries alone are worth more than $7

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 2:29 PM   #7

Keltech wrote:
Quote:
Scott,

Nice find!

I don't know what you shoot with now but if this camera is surplus to your needs you can send it out and have the IR filter removed from the sensor and it would be a nice IR camera. I use a Hoya R72 filter on my K100D and get good results but it is difficult to set up the shot as you need to frame the shot and then put on the IR filter and set white balance then shoot (requiring use of a tripod). With the IR filter taken out it is a point and shoot IR camera.
Hi Lou,

My main body is a K20, but I also have a K10 and a DS. The K10 is an early one, so is AF challenged with certain lenses, but it does focus well with the lenses that I use the most, so I never sent it in for what seems to be an AF update (it was already out of warrantee when the update became apparent)

The K10 is my main second body, but I anticipate that the K100 might replace it as such -- at least on overcast days where I could use the better higher ISO performance. So far, I've been using the K20 with an FA*300/2.8 +TC(s) tripod mounted, and the K10 with and FA*300/4.5 + a TC handheld for quick shots. It remains to be seen if I can put up with the slower AF of the K100. . .

I have shot some IR, but haven't done much -- One of the reasons I have kept my Panny FZ1 is because it's very IR sensitive, and very convenient to use it this manner -- I get a real time IR image in the EVF, the lens is f2.8 constant, and the Mega OIS works well with the slow shutter speeds. It's really enough for the limited IR that I might shoot.

Scott
Old May 1, 2009, 3:03 PM   #8

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Be sure the cabinet is big enough. With that kind of buying, a cabinet will be full before you know it. Take it from The Voice of Experience. Buy two . . . No . . . buy three. :whack:
Hi penolta,

I hear ya!!!!!

It will be a pretty big cabinet -- I've been a long time scrounger in the local camera shops' bargain drawers, and have spent a whole lot of $$$ $5 at a time on stuff that "might come in handy . . . someday" :-)

One of the better ideas that I've had is to build or buy a wine rack-like section for the lenses.

Scott
Old May 1, 2009, 7:40 PM   #9

Wow, I'm seriously envious. I have the K 100D (not super) and I like it very much. But still, I'd love to be able to use SDM lenses and have the camera take SDHC cards. You got a great deal!

Please let me know if you stumble upon a similar deal for a K20!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 9:54 PM   #10

Mtnman - Did you know that there was a firmware update for the K100 which makes it able to use SDHC cards? Mine (an early K100) works fine with them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote