Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 2, 2009, 7:48 PM   #1

I'll spare everyone the long story, but my wife and I purchased a new 52" LCD 1080p HGTV last weekend. One of the options it has is a USB port and slide show capability with JPGs on a thumb drive.

So during the week I had though about trying it out but there were always other things to do when I got home after work. Well today - this morning (my wife was at a guinea pig show), I was thinking about it so I loaded up a thumb drive with some images from both my K100 (6MP) and K20 (14MP) to see what they looked like on the big screen.

The images taken with the K100 came up first and they were stunning - crisp and clear, great colors, I was really amazed. At 52" I did not see anything wrong with the resolution at all and I expected the worst. I am thinking that even at 6MP the printing limitations to something like 8x10s could probably be exceeded by a large amount.

Then the slide show got around to the K20 images. Well I have already used stunning, crisp, clear, great, and amazed. I really liked the K100 images, the K20 images just blew me away. Wonderful in every way.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2009, 10:00 PM   #2

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
I'll spare everyone the long story, but my wife and I purchased a new 52" LCD 1080p HGTV last weekend. One of the options it has is a USB port and slide show capability with JPGs on a thumb drive.

So during the week I had though about trying it out but there were always other things to do when I got home after work. Well today - this morning (my wife was at a guinea pig show), I was thinking about it so I loaded up a thumb drive with some images from both my K100 (6MP) and K20 (14MP) to see what they looked like on the big screen.

The images taken with the K100 came up first and they were stunning - crisp and clear, great colors, I was really amazed. At 52" I did not see anything wrong with the resolution at all and I expected the worst. I am thinking that even at 6MP the printing limitations to something like 8x10s could probably be exceeded by a large amount.

Then the slide show got around to the K20 images. Well I have already used stunning, crisp, clear, great, and amazed. I really liked the K100 images, the K20 images just blew me away. Wonderful in every way.
Hey IO,
what size file and format did you use?
jpeg or tiff, did you use original size or reduced?
thanks,
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 11:02 PM   #3

I keep meaning to try that out with my son's 40" that is sitting in our living room. Although I think his is a 720p, not the 1080p. Just thought it would be cool to see the images in LARGE format.

I'll have to try this out when I get some time.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 11:54 PM   #4

I should take a look at some of mine on our 1080p TV - I've never actually tried that. I think you can do a slide show straight from the camera, but I've never tried it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 12:07 AM   #5

Hi GW,

I shoot in RAW, so all I did was to convert the RAW files (using Bibble Pro) into 8 bit JPGs. No reduction or resizing, just a straight conversion. The resulting sizes ranged from 575 KB to 1,812 KB. The displayed image on the 52" screen was 38" by 26" - with about a 3" black border on either side of the image.

I looked through the units documentation and found nothing other than the USB specs. It really did not address any specific formats - JPG or TIFF, etc.

I am so impressed with what I saw, that one of the images was one that I shot out at sea with the Navy - actually it was the first one up on the screen - and it knocked my socks off. Its my favorite picture, that I have taken. After looking at it on the new TV, I want to do a little color adjustment and I want to print and frame it for my office wall at work. If I can do a 38" x 26" - I'll do it. I need to search the web for some one who does large scale printing - but that's for later...

What really amazed me were the K100 images - they were great, way beyond my expectations. I had high expectations for the K20 shots, and I was not disappointed one bit. They too exceeded my expectations by a large margin.

My wife was stunned saying that on the TV they surpassed anything she saw on the PC's monitor - and its not a cheap monitor (a Sony 20" LCD).

Harriet - I tried attaching the camera directly and it did not work on the unit. So, I placed the images on the thumb drive in the root. That did the trick. At least for a Mitsubishi, apparently the images could not reside in a sub-directory.

Old May 3, 2009, 8:52 AM   #6

Ok. I think you were doing something different than what I was thinking about. There's a way to do a slide show in-camera, and the way I thought it would work is that you just hook the camera up to the video in on the TV, then the camera would work like a DVD or VCR - controlling everything. But maybe it doesn't work that way.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 11:56 AM   #7

Morning Harriet,

From what I can see between the camera body and TV (and this may vary depending upon the capability of the TV), there appears to be 3 different ways to hook the two units together, and there may be more. This is just the way I see the particular TV model we have working.
  • Camera body with the supplied cable micro USB (camera) to RCA Yellow video jack - I have not tried this yet, but I see the camera controlling and generating the pictures by converting to straight video into the TV via one of the input sources (video). So this would be just like a VCR, DVD, etc. unit pushing video into the TV. Then you would use your manual with the camera to select and choose the image or image set to be displayed, also using the camera to change the image being displayed (going to the next picture).
    [/*]
  • Camera body with the micro USB (camera) to full USB (TV) - this did not work for me. I some what expected this to work like the option above.
    [/*]
  • USB Thumb Drive - copied the images from the PC to the thumb drive in JPG format. Then plugged the thum drive into the full size USB port on the side of the TV. The TV recognized this as another input device. The TV had its own slide show capability, pulled the images from the thumb drive and displayed them.[/*]
Old May 3, 2009, 7:46 PM   #8

You can also run them from your computer to the TV with the proper cables. Just makes your TV the monitor for the laptop or PC. Got a 12 foot VGA hooked to mine so I can surf using the 52" 1080P my kids bought for us for Christmas. A whole new way to surf. I can hook up HDMI or VGA or s-video.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 9:07 AM   #9

Shhhhhhh, please do not give my wife any ideas. She has sort of asked about that already, and was talking about getting rid of wires (wireless keyboard and mouse). I would like to actually watch some TV and a NetFlix DVD movie from time to time.
Old May 4, 2009, 3:24 PM   #10

wires and warts......

the bane of the computer age..........
robar is offline   Reply With Quote