Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 2, 2009, 10:27 PM   #1

Pentax K20D, Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG
Attached Images

Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2009, 10:31 PM   #2

AKA Torresian Crows
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3

Pentax K20D, Tamron SP AF 90mm f 2.8 Di
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2009, 10:35 PM   #4

Aka Australian Crow
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2009, 10:45 PM   #5

Very cool shots of what around here are very plain birds.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 3:09 AM   #6

Ravens are wonderful birds! Air acrobats, andprobably more intelligent than dogs. Very fine pictures, are these the same species as the ones we have in Europe?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 12:59 PM   #7

These images have a very moody feel - I love them!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 4:24 PM   #8

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Ravens are wonderful birds! Air acrobats, andprobably more intelligent than dogs. Very fine pictures, are these the same species as the ones we have in Europe?

Kjell
Kjell, I hope you didn't take my comment badly. I was just meaning that they are seen every day as are the seagulls.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 7:18 PM   #9

Some good ones Rodney.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 8:43 PM   #10

[align=left]Thank You Patty, Kjell, Glen and Dawg[/align][align=left]Crows/Ravens are magnificent animals, I know they can be very annoying with that loud call at times, but they are terrific clean up crews and can be quite friendly. I used to have one that came to the window and would take food from my hand. The local vet tells the story of her Grandmothers crow that talked and did tricks.
[/align][align=left]One was hit by a car across the road late last year and all the Ravens, 50 or 60 at least, from the area started, all I could call it, wailing, it was a amazing sound, I went over and picked up the poor Raven, sadly he died in my hands, I was amazed all the wailing stopped and secondly how heavy he was, how soft his feathers were and I learnt then that they are all white underneath.
[/align][align=left]I think this quote from Bernd Heinrich below says what I think about them better than I could ever say.
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]"...the raven is big, black, and beautiful. Its highly glossed plumage shows iridescent greens, blues, and purples, shining like a black dewdrop in the light. And it dives and rolls like a black thunderbolt out of the sky or speeds along with liquid, gliding strokes. The raven is the paragon of the air, and more. It is assumed to be the brains of the bird world, so deep, sonorous, penetrating voice demands immediate attention and respect, even though we have little or no idea what it says. It has a greater variety of calls than perhaps any other animal in the world except human beings. It is an imposing bird."[/align] [align=center]-Bernd Heinrich[/align][align=left]Quote From Wikipedia - Crow
[/align]Intelligence

As a group, the crows show remarkable examples of intelligence, and Aesop's fable of The Crow and the Pitcher shows that humans have long viewed the crow as an intelligent animal. Crows and ravens often score very highly on intelligence tests. Certain species top the avian IQ scale[10]. Wild hooded crows in Israel have learned to use bread crumbs for bait-fishing[11]. Crows will engage in a kind of mid-air jousting, or air-"chicken" to establish pecking order. One species, the New Caledonian Crow, has also been intensively studied recently because of its ability to manufacture and use its own tools in the day-to-day search for food. These tools include 'knives' cut from stiff leaves and stiff stalks of grass [12]. Another skill involves dropping tough nuts into a heavy trafficked street and waiting for a car to crush them open, and then waiting at pedestrian lights with other pedestrians in order to retrieve the nuts [13] . On October 5, 2007, researchers from the University of Oxford, England presented data acquired by mounting tiny video cameras on the tails of New Caledonian Crows. It turned out that they use a larger variety of tools than previously known, plucking, smoothing and bending twigs and grass stems to procure a variety of foodstuffs.[14] Crows in Queensland, Australia have learned how to eat the toxic cane toad by flipping the cane toad on its back and violently stabbing the throat where the skin is thinner, allowing the crow to access the non-toxic innards; their long beaks ensure that all of the innards can be removed.[15][16]