Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 7, 2009, 9:32 AM   #11

Great shots Harriet really like the way those leaves look, almost crumpled paper.

A tripod can work wonders only I don't like to cary it around, I'll stay with my monopod.

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 3:08 PM   #12

I've figured out a reasonable way of carrying the tripod on my Slingshot 200 bag, it took 1 milk carton and 3 pieces of velcro, but it seems to work reasonably well. The tripod set-up I bought pushes the weight envelope for the bag - there's no way I can manage anything heavier. I'm convinced that I can carry it for a reasonable distance, it didn't bother me much on my 3/4 mile walk to the botanical gardens, wandering around them and the 3/4 mile walk back to the office, all in an hour. Because I have the tripod mounted on the side of the bag (when being carried), it changes where the weight is distributed and how it rides on my back. I'm still thinking seriously of getting the Kata 3N1 bag, so I'd have the option of carrying it on both shoulders. I'd have to find the tripod carrier that Kata makes for the bag, since there wouldn't be the same simple way to attach it as I came up with for the Slingshot.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 3:13 PM   #13

OK, let us see the setup!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 7:20 PM   #14

Glad to hear you have become a convert. I almost always use a tripod (except for family snaps). My problem? I have too many of them, now (5). The last one I bought is a small travel tripod that fit in my carry-on case.

With the tripod, you can play around with multiple shots and try some focus stacking--I want to try this this summer. You may also want to look into a focusing rail for macro work.

Keep posting the nice shots you take, I enjoy them.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 10:47 PM   #15

It's really simple, but it took me a bit of adjusting to get it where it works reasonably. I'm sure what I came up with can be improved upon easily, but my way happened to cost me nothing and is easily removed without leaving anything extra on the bag.

First, the parts:

The white piece of plastic was cut up from a milk carton and is pretty rough. This is the one piece that probably should be made from a sturdier material. However, I've carried the tripod using this set-up for a couple of days and its holding up better than I had expected. The straps are just pieces of double sided velcro (hooks one side, soft side on the other). I've used them for several other things so had it lying around. I like it because I don't have to sew anything or hope that glue holds.

More or less assembled:

The top piece of velcro is just wrapped around the top loop on the bag. It needs to be smaller than what you see in this one - if it's too big the tripod head will flop around too much. You can see the double sided nature of this velcro tape.

Tripod mounted:

I put the tripod's center post through the top loop, then wrap the two lower straps around the legs. I wrap the upper one around two legs and the center post, then put the third leg tight against the rest. I figured this might help keep the velcro from pulling loose, but don't know if it's necessary. I wrap the lower one around all the legs, so that they don't accidentally separate. I try to get this one pretty tight to try to take some weight off of the top loop and the grab strap on the top of the bag.

I originally had the weight handled by the two lower straps, just using the top one to keep the tripod head in place, but found that it would slip down too much and it would hit the back of my calves. By putting the center post through the top loop, it keeps the tripod from slipping down.

Here's what it looks like when on me. Right after looking at this picture, I shortened the bag's strap - it's riding lower than I like. But you get the idea.

It's not exactly elegant but it does work reasonably well. I'm sure that others can improve on this design.
Old May 8, 2009, 7:22 AM   #16

I do like those. I certainly enjoy your flower shots when I stop in. Great idea with the tripod too.

Jim
JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 9:10 AM   #17

Hey Harriet,
being a die hard do it yourself-er, I can appreciate your project.
very nicely done!

GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 9:32 AM   #18

Very nice Harriet, I for some reason has visions of half a milk jug just hanging from your bag holding a tripod. Your actual setup is very nice!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 2:21 PM   #19

After I came up with my idea (which actually grew out of the person at RRS who said she just hooked one leg through the place where I put the plastic), I saw someone on another site who came up with a very elegant solution - it involved a quiver and heavier velcro. It looked very nice, but was much more involved than my idea. Plus, it involved permanent changes to the bag - something I wanted to avoid if possible.
Old May 8, 2009, 3:49 PM   #20

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Creative and economical way to haul the tripod. Being that the tripod is attached to one side of the bag, does it cause an imbalance to you as it is carried? There are some backpack style bags that also allow for a tripod to be carried on one side (Lowpro's)vs. placed symetrically down the middle (Tamrac Expedition series). I have wondered if placing it on a side casued some imbalance and therefore ultimately become uncomfortable to the user?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote