Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 8, 2009, 9:24 PM   #21

It does create some imbalance, but not as much as I was afraid would be. It does cause the bag to ride differently on my back, but keeping the 'pod close to the bag helps, and with a cross-shoulder type of bag there's not that much difference. The weight with my particular set-up is mostly the head, so keeping that from flopping around helps.

The one thing I'm somewhat concerned about for a longer walk is the weight. The tripod maxes out my weight carrying capacity for a cross-shoulder bag. I think that, more than the change in weight distribution, is going to be my limiting factor (so the Tenba sling bag that has tripod straps wouldn't make a difference). If I had bought something heavier, I'd be leaving it home mostly. Maybe this weekend I'll have time for a longer walk/hike, and will see how things go. I may still end up buying a Kata 3N1 bag.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 8:10 AM   #22

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I'll look forward to your report on it. Bag flexibility and capacity is always at odds with weight and bulk. I got a Tamrac Expedition 6 as a Christmas gift, and was excited at the ability to haul 2 bodies, lenses, a laptop and a symetrically placed tripod. But fully loaded, I could not see myself carrying it for any length of time. I did the sensible thing and traded it for a Kata DR 467 Rucksack which has a smaller capacity but much more practical (and a whole lot less $'s as well). I cannot carry a tripod on it...however I purchased a Joby SLR Zoom mini tripod which should serve my needs well and fits in the Kata. My best bag however remains the Lowpro Mini Trekker which has tripod lashes at the bottom and has plenty space for gear for a day's worth of hiking.

I think the ultimate solution is to have a camera "caddy" accompany you on all hikes/expeditions/trecks hauling all you gear and perhaps even suggesting what equipment to use for each shot. Come to think of it, there may be a whole new line of work there!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 7:53 PM   #23

Great idea! I read your post to Dan and asked him if he'd like a new job. He said that spouses are exempt from such things and declined my generous offer. His suggestion was a horse, a llama or a well trained dog but not like our old Golden who would have lost his load at the first site of a squirrel.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 8:10 PM   #24

That's a very cool rig you have. Very nicely done. I'm preparing for a conference in Denver in a few weeks, and I'm planning to take a couple of extra days and visit Rocky Mountain National Park. Despite the undeniable advantages of a tripod, I'm planning just to bring a joby gorilla pod and a hiking staff that converts to a monopod. Flying with my work-related stuff for the conference, and my camping gear, and my photo gear, I will have have way too much stuff, so the tripod will have to stay home.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote