Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 7, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1

Default Been a while

since I've posted. I stop by now and then and enjoy everyone's photos, but never seem to find the time to say anything or share any of mine. I figured I'd better stop in and say hi. Here's a photo from the other night, a flashlight exposure of my wife's peony.

Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by JimInGA; May 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM.
JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2009, 10:40 PM   #2

Good to see you stop by, and I love the picture. Interesting light choice, but I found using one quite challenging - I never quite got the hang of getting what I wanted with it. I like yours, perhaps I need to go back and try again.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 11:03 PM   #3

I wish I had more time to spend here. There's a lot of great photos and the information that is shared is really great. I know when I get started looking at new equipment this is one of my first stops to see if I can find information. I really need to find the time to share some more photos. It's the least I can do for the knowledge I gain.

Jim
Old May 7, 2009, 11:19 PM   #4

That is some great color and contrast there!

I will have to try that and see what happens now that the weather here is warm.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2009, 11:23 PM   #5

I love the colours and lighting, beautiful.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 12:47 AM   #6

Very beautiful and very different. Must say it's the first time I've seen a spooky flower picture!
Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 12:57 AM   #7

Very nice, Jim. I'm glad someone else thought it was spooky. I thought it was just me in a different environment. Between being on my laptop, with strange lighting in my parent's house and the new forum. This is my first major visit all week.

Btw, I love peonies. One of my favorite flowers.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 2:59 AM   #8

Nice to see you stop by and an interesting picture, makes me wonder what lighting you used.
Old May 8, 2009, 7:09 AM   #9

That is definitely a unique view of a peony! Makes me see it in a whole new light (please excuse the bad pun). Great colors too.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 7:39 AM   #10

Thanks for the comments. A little more information on the photo, it's a 30 sec. exposure. After getting things set up and foucused, I "painted" the areas that I wanted to expose using a small white light LED flashlight. The one that I use has an on off button on the back and I simply switch it off when moving from one area to the next. (You get some really interesting patterns if you forget that step. Don't ask how I know that.) There are flash lights with momentary switches which make it a lot easier than the on off, but I worked with what I had. I've tried this technique a few other times and never been real happy with the results, but I knew it worked as I've seen the technique used by some other folks and they get outstanding results. This is the first time I've gotten results that were close to be satisfactory.
It's a good thing I got the shot when I did as the next day, rains moved in and rain and peonies just doesn't mix. The blooms were pretty much gone the next day.

Jim