Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 8, 2009, 6:04 AM   #1

Default I've neglected the DA18-55mm kit lens

I'm just getting mobile again, after suffering a gammy knee (bout of artritis) for a week or more. Yesterday was a fine day, and I got outside cutting grass for a while. I noticed my wifes azaleas were in full bloom, and thought to try a few close-ups. When I first got the K100D the only lens I had (apart from a few M42s from my film days) was the kit lens, and it got used a lot, it was my first experience of a fully auto lens, having graduated in photography when all was fully manual. That may be the reason I've neglected this lens, since LBA has set in, and I'd reverted to my old habits probably out of familiarity with more manual proceedures. Yesterday for some reason I fitted the 18/55 and tried a few shots. I've been very wrong in not using it, I'm particularly pleased with it's colour rendition, especially reds and oranges, which can be difficult. ... I'm now thinking it should live on the camera more. What do you think ?. ... Jack

BTW ... the first shot is not an azalea, it's of an enkianthus.

Last edited by jachol; May 8, 2009 at 6:07 AM.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2009, 11:51 AM   #2

Looking good! GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 7:51 PM   #3

It's amazing what those kit lens can do, these are well composed and good coloured flower shots, well done.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 9:33 PM   #4

Nice pictures!

Yes, the kit lens does tend to get forgotten about. I probably should have mentioned that the pictures I took of my tripod and the carrying method I came up with were taken with the K100 and the kit lens. That's a good combination.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 3:01 AM   #5

You almost make me feel sorry that I didn't get the kit lens, looks great
Old May 9, 2009, 4:16 AM   #6

GW, Rodney, Harriet & Ronny,
Many thanks for stopping by, and the kind comments. I must confess apart from my early days when I'd little else to use, I can't remember using this lens very much, and the same applies to a lesser degree of the only other fully auto lens I have ... the Tamron 70 - 300mm f4.5 - Di LD, I should use that more also, in fact between the two, I could cover from near macro to fairly long telephoto, with just the small gap from 55mm - 70mm. It would be a nice light travelling combination. I guess the neglect all stems from being a dyed in the wool manual user. I must try and correct that to some degree, I do feel less involvement, apart from composition in using auto lenses. ... Jack
Old May 9, 2009, 8:15 AM   #7

i like the kit lense, im all for auto, my only gripe is that when the skys white (in england its mostly white lol) i get quite a bit of purple fringing at the wide end.
for things like flowers, as your excellent pictures show, its very good
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 10:05 PM   #8

Its no good because:

It came with the camera
it's a budget lens
It's too light
It's too plasticky
The apertures are too small
It is not a prime
It is last year's lens
It is not dslr corrected
it is not wide/long enough
You get what you paid for
Others like the xxxx better

XXX must be better because:

xxx is sturdier
xxx is heavier
xxx is priced higher
xxx is faster
xxx has a bigger/smaller zoom range
xxx is newer
xxx is dslr corrected
I want something new
I bought a new body and need a better lens

This all translates to:

Familiarity breeds contempt which breeds LBA. Are any of us exempt from it? Only if we can't afford it, I imagine.

Let's be realistic: manufacturers want you to be satisfied with your camera, so they won't give you a junk lens with it - you would be more likely to dump the camera than go out and buy a better lens. Are they the best available? No, but not the worst by far. Are there better lenses out there? Certainly, but how badly do you need them? Are any of the cited reasons for buying xxx valid? Of course, but how important are they to you? Only you can decide. Are there wider apertures? Yes, but only one or two stops, which in film days was vital, but - hey - now you can control ISO beyond what was available in film. High ISO noise replaces grain, but there is noise control available. There is even a free purple fringing correction program which works well (unfortunately only on PCs). Dslr correction? Maybe - smaller and lighter, yes, but the larger image circle has a "sweet spot" in which the lens is at its sharpest - maybe sharper than the new one! Do the kit lenses have shortcomings? probably, but is xxx free of other shortcomings? Probably not. And so on. Just don't sell the kit lens short - if nothing else, the weight savings are worth something on a long walk-around.

Last edited by penolta; May 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 4:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
i like the kit lense, im all for auto, my only gripe is that when the skys white (in england its mostly white lol) i get quite a bit of purple fringing at the wide end.
for things like flowers, as your excellent pictures show, its very good
Thanks for the comments Kaz, ( Sorry I should remember your name, but ho .. hum, memory isn't as retentive these days), and white skies in England ... seems to me we get a lot of grey ones too. LOL. I can't say I've seen CA you mention with this lens, I have on occasion got fringing with the Tamron 70 - 300mm zoom. I deal with that in PS ... not too sure where I got this action, but it deals well with all colours of fringes. I'll try and attach it if anyone is interested, just unzip and load it into photoshop, in use open the action and select the fringe colour you want to deal with ... then execute. I can't say if it works in other editing programs, as I've never tried it. ... Jack.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Color fringe.zip (1.6 KB, 5 views)
Old May 10, 2009, 5:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Its no good because:

It came with the camera
it's a budget lens
It's too light
It's too plasticky
The apertures are too small
It is not a prime
It is last year's lens
It is not dslr corrected
it is not wide/long enough

XXX must be better because:

xxx is sturdier
xxx is heavier
xxx is priced higher
xxx is faster
xxx has a bigger/smaller zoom range
xxx is newer
xxx is dslr corrected
I want something new
I bought a new body and need a better lens

This all translates to:

Familiarity breeds contempt which breeds LBA. Are any of us exempt from it? Only if we can't afford it, I imagine.

Let's be realistic: manufacturers want you to be satisfied with your camera, so they won't give you a junk lens with it - you would be more likely to dump the camera than go out and buy a better lens. Are they the best available? No, but not the worst by far. Are there better lenses out there? Certainly, but how badly do you need them? Are any of the cited reasons for buying xxx valid? Of course, but how important are they to you? Only you can decide. Are there wider apertures? Yes, but only one or two stops, which in film days was vital, but - hey - now you can control ISO beyond what was available in film. High ISO noise replaces grain, but there is noise control available. There is even a free purple fringing correction program which works well (unfortunately only on PCs). Dslr correction? Maybe - smaller and lighter, yes, but the larger image circle has a "sweet spot" in which the lens is at its sharpest - maybe sharper than the new one! Do the kit lenses have shortcomings? probably, but is xxx free of other shortcomings? Probably not. And so on. Just don't sell the kit lens short - if nothing else, the weight savings are worth something on a long walk-around.
Hi Pen,
All very true, I think we all aspire to better our gear, and I think some of us are never really satisfied ... always looking for something better, but for a lot of us including myself ... personal finances rule, and there are other priorities that have to take first place. Personally I think I just reversed to technology I was more au fait with. If we can acheive self satisfaction with our photographic results using what equipment we have, then that's all you need.
I do notice a lot of our members that graduate to the latest models, also retain their ists , K100s etc. and still use them with excellent results. Just my thoughts ... Jack