Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2009, 3:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
Scott, by no means I'd like you to restrict yourself to bird shooting. But whatever you do, don't give it up! These pictures are most inspiring to the rest of us, something to strive for. Personally I'm also a bit envious that you have birds like the Rose Breasted Grossbeak to shoot.
Hi Kjell,

Thanks!

I certainly have no intention of giving it up. I seem to learn something new every day, either about nature ( I was going to say "the birds and the bees", but that would have been misleading ), or photography or both.

Most of these birds unfortunately aren't around long -- they're just passing through -- I'm getting better at finding them though, but not even getting close compared to the sightings that I've heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Great pictures, and work with the cloning, can't see any trace of it.
and I have the same feeling like Kjell about you having those birds.
Hi Ronny,

Thanks!

I've had a lot of practice at the cloning thing. I don't shoot at set up sites, and don't use a blind or hide (except for the car, but that's only useful in a small number of places), so there always seems to be something getting in the way in any given frame I shoot. I am getting better at being more conscious of backgrounds and other elements in the frame, but most of the time, I really don't have much choice.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Beautiful Scott!
GW
Hi GW,

Thanks!

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Both are beautiful birds, love your shots. Your bird shots are always awesome!
Hi Harriet,

Thanks!

I really have intentions to branch out and do different styles of shooting, but this bird thing has really gotten into my blood, and I'm really getting a whole lot of satisfaction using the FA*300/2.8 -- there's something special about this lens.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Great images of the Grossbeaks Scott. For the fist time since I've lived in KY (13 years now), we've seen the same birds as in your picture at our feeder this Spring. Had to pull out the bird book to ID it since we've never seen one before. We also caught sight of a Baltimore Oriole which is uncommon in these parts as well.
Hi jelpee,

Thanks!

Before this, I've only seen a couple of the Grossbeaks per year, and have only gotten a few shots that were okay at best. Hopefully, these, or their offspring will return every year from now on.

About the Baltimore Oriole, see my other post.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
All are fantastic, but #1 is just superb, sharp, perfect exposure.
Jim
Hi a200user,

Thanks!

I do get lucky every so often, and everything comes together in one shot -- I'm really glad I got this one, since I don't have anything even close of a Grossbeak.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
No 1 is beautiful, the birds pose is wonderful, the feather detail so sharp, the foliage and flowers set it all up perfectly, everything about this shot is perfect right down to the eye lighting. Very very well done.
Hi Rodney,

Thanks!

I'm getting a lot more conscious of some of the details this season, especially looking for, and waiting for the eye glint.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Nice sharp bird shots. I only hope to achieve those kinds of shots someday. I need some higher quality lenses first.
Hi Mike,

Thanks!

The main element in birding is getting close, IMO, and that takes some observation of each type's behavior. Luckily, I have a lot of time to devote to this. . .

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Scott,
Wonderful pictures! Fantastic bird detail and background. These are better than what is in the Audubon Field Guide.

The Rose Breasted Grosbeak is a handsome devil. I get these at my feeder in the winter but they eat quickly and disappear before I can fetch my camera (very frustrating). Strangely I have never seen a female of the species.

Hi Lou,

Thanks!

They are handsome! -- and frustrating. . .

I've never seen a female either -- but I've seen pics, and they are very different looking.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote