Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 10, 2009, 5:47 AM   #1

Default nearly 3 a.m. and curious

What kind of bird chirps and sings in the night? I've finally got both my babies sleeping and there's a bird out my window singing to me.

Thanks, Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2009, 7:41 AM   #2

The one you want to shoot down

Thats the thing I always think at that moment, have the same feeling about the neighbors dog, although he's so cute.
Old May 10, 2009, 9:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
.....there's a bird out my window singing to me.
Think yourself lucky, Patty, that it's singing to you. As often at this time of year, last night I had a baby owl sitting in the dark on the power pole just outside the bedroom window, or in the tree across the road, emitting ear-piercing, agonised, high pitched shrieks, presumably meaning "Where's my mummy?"
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 10:02 AM   #4

Well Patty, if he's singing, you might as well enjoy it!
Now if it's an irritable repetitive noise, then I can feel your pain!
I worked a job as a security guard once and got home just before sun up.
about two minuets after climbing into bed, this Bob white would start in, right outside my window. this was in the summer time in NC and I didn't have air conditioning so the window was open. One night I had enough and stuck my gun out the window and fired a shot into the ground... never heard another sound out of him so I don't know if I just scared him off or he died of a heart attack!
BTW I was way out in the country with no neighbors for miles.
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 12:19 PM   #5

When the boys were little up in Seattle, we had a woodpecker that started about 3am. Telephone pols, trees, and then the house!!!!! Needless to say, I did not want to take a picture of it
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 3:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
What kind of bird chirps and sings in the night? I've finally got both my babies sleeping and there's a bird out my window singing to me.

Thanks, Patty
I'm also in southern NH (Nashua) and I've noticed much the same thing recently; I've come in at 3 a.m. from a late gig and there's a mockingbird singing away at the top of its voice; great! I love it, having been an avid bird-watcher for years.

What you have to ask yourself is which would you prefer to hear at 3 a.m. ? The mockingbird, or the neighbours' noisy dog/brats/teenagers/motorcycle/car/car-alarm/party-animals/stereo not to mention police/ambulance sirens.

During the recent winter's snow-storms I was constantly woken by the back-up alarms of ploughs clearing the local parking-lots at 2 a.m. (thank god winter's now over!!!).

Give me the birds any time!

- Wil
Wil Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 8:31 PM   #7

Mocking birds will do it for hours as they go through their full list of stolen bird calls. I have one that roosts in an oak tree in my yard and calls nearly every night.