Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 10, 2009, 3:46 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Birds at the Airport

Being that it was a cool clear morning, I packed the gear and headed to the airport. Mostly dissapointed...took over 100 images and ended up with the 2 keepers below. The picture of the bird that does not flap its wings is marginally OK (IMHO)--just about all those images seem to show evidence of "heat diffraction" (i.e. wavy lines) inspite of the time of day. It is usually a common occurrence on hot days.

I thought the image of the bird that flaps its wings turned out much better!

K20D + Sigma 70-300 APO DG

Take Off on Runway 18L

Is this a Youngin??

Last edited by Wingman; May 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2009, 4:00 PM   #2

like nr2 better,

don't dare to say if it's a young one, but it looks cute
Old May 11, 2009, 1:27 AM   #3

No 2 is so cute, No 1 not so cute, terrific feather detail in No 2.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 3:45 PM   #4

I like #1 and its well done (I like the wavy lines, gives the jet more feeling of motion) but not exceptional. The second one is just so cute, definitely better than the first bird.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 4:56 PM   #5

Thanks all! I am determined to improve my plane spotting pictures...I was told that the top deck of the parkiing garage at the airport overlooks the runway threshold and that it is a "safe" place to take pictures from. I am however, planning on calling the airport police and ask if they have any restrictions on photographing aircraft from the many perimeter roads around the airport. The last thing I need is to be spending my Summer at Gitmo!
Old May 11, 2009, 9:37 PM   #6

Jay

I see nothing wrong with the Plane picture. Away, i think you are very smart to contact the police.
I recently tried taking some daylight shots at the airport in Hyannis Mass. I was questioned by the Local police for a few minutes and they politely suggested that I refrain from taking anymore pictures. I really wanted to go try some night shots. But i thought better of it

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 8:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Jay

I see nothing wrong with the Plane picture. Away, i think you are very smart to contact the police.
I recently tried taking some daylight shots at the airport in Hyannis Mass. I was questioned by the Local police for a few minutes and they politely suggested that I refrain from taking anymore pictures. I really wanted to go try some night shots. But i thought better of it

Phil
Hi Phi, Thanks. This was the only keeper of the series. The rest, when zoomed to 100% showed wavyness in the horizontal lines which as I said, looked like "heat distortion". Cincinnati has an airplane viewing area from which it is very safe to photograph. It also helps if you have a long lens and a tripod which makes you look like a photographer vs. a person of questionable character. There are some great vantage points along local roads and parking lots around the airport that if the police do not say otherwise I plan on scouting. I'd feel better if I could find another photographer to go with though...I think it may be less "suspicious" looking to the authorities.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:59 PM   #8

Jay

I have an Idea. Saturday i Will jump in My Lear and join You For a Shoot LOL
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote