Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 11, 2009, 1:01 PM   #11

Wow !, Very impressive Ronny, I must try that. Tell me do you shoot in burst mode ?, it seems that may be the way to go. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 1:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Beautiful macros. Enough to give you nightmares.
Thanks Mike, yep it's not something that I would call beautiful
Old May 11, 2009, 1:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboy2 View Post
Magnificent!
bb2
Thanks BB2

Best regards

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 1:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Wow !, Very impressive Ronny, I must try that. Tell me do you shoot in burst mode ?, it seems that may be the way to go. ... Jack
Thanks Jack,

Tried burst mode while slowly turning the focus ring, burst mode while slowly moving back and forward. Tried multiple shots.

The multiple shots where not usable because I didn't keep the fly centered.

Moving back and forward wasn't working either, but I guess that would be the way to go with a tripod and a macro slide rail.

The best result I got was with burst mode and slowly turning the focus ring.

Next try will be with a tripod, still looking at a macro slide rail.
Old May 11, 2009, 2:58 PM   #15

What program did you use for the stacking? CS4 has the ability to process multiple focus shots pretty nicely, and will align them if they are only slightly off. I tried it once, not with such a difficult subject, and liked it. Your pictures are quite an inspiration for me to try it again, this time with something outside. Would a macro slide rail work - if you start changing the distance, you start changing the size of your subject and wouldn't you have trouble lining it up? Or were you planning on using the macro rails to get the initial focus, then adjusting the focus point the way you did, using burst and slightly moving the focus ring?

Thanks for posting these outstanding, inspirational shots.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 3:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
What program did you use for the stacking? CS4 has the ability to process multiple focus shots pretty nicely, and will align them if they are only slightly off. I tried it once, not with such a difficult subject, and liked it. Your pictures are quite an inspiration for me to try it again, this time with something outside. Would a macro slide rail work - if you start changing the distance, you start changing the size of your subject and wouldn't you have trouble lining it up? Or were you planning on using the macro rails to get the initial focus, then adjusting the focus point the way you did, using burst and slightly moving the focus ring?

Thanks for posting these outstanding, inspirational shots.
Thanks Harriet,

I used Helicon Focus for the stacking, got me a lite licence a year ago and it still works perfect. While photoshop cs4 uses masks to get the sharpest part helicon focus calculates averages. Because I'm used to helicon focus I haven't played around a lot with cs4 its focus blending.

Moving the macro rails (just ordered one ) might not be an issue, it's only for a few mm. Anyway I guess it will be easier to get the subject in frame. I'll post result from moving the camera, and changing the focus as soon as it arrives.
Old May 11, 2009, 4:02 PM   #17

Fine pictures and an interesting technique. How and how much do you refocus between shots?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 4:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
Fine pictures and an interesting technique. How and how much do you refocus between shots?

Kjell
Thanks Kjell

How - just turning the focus ring snapping away in burst mode, how much ... I try to get a focuslock and then turn the ring till the farthest part is in focus (almost out of focus), then start shooting and turning the ring in the other dir, and hope that the buffer doesn't run full before I have gotten the focus again.

It's really not much , a few mm was enough with these shots.

While putting the images together I drop the shots that were moved to much.

Because movement messes up the merge I first merge small sets (4-8 images) then align the results in photoshop cropping so the subject is at the same place, and then merge the resulting images. The last image is 14 images, first merged 3, 6, 5 and then merged the result.

I hope that with a tripod the merging won't be so much work.
Old May 11, 2009, 7:50 PM   #19

Ronny,
I am very impressed with your pictures. I have gone to the Helicon Focus site and am trying to wrap my head around the process. My understanding is that the software will make those areas of the object that are out of focus due to shallow depth of field become more in focus. Would it be possible to see what the 4 images that were combined to make the first image look like? Also was other post processing done to the pictures and if so was it done before or after Helicon Focus?
Lou

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 2:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Thanks Jack,

Tried burst mode while slowly turning the focus ring, burst mode while slowly moving back and forward. Tried multiple shots.

The multiple shots where not usable because I didn't keep the fly centered.

Moving back and forward wasn't working either, but I guess that would be the way to go with a tripod and a macro slide rail.

The best result I got was with burst mode and slowly turning the focus ring.

Next try will be with a tripod, still looking at a macro slide rail.
OK Ronny, thanks for the tips, but OUCH !, I feel pains in the wallet coming on ... I may have to splash out on a better tripod. LOL ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote