Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2009, 3:21 PM   #11

I couldn't decide what was going on last night, I think it was my old eyes - I thought they looked over-processed one way and too soft another way. Since my monitor tends to make things look sharper on it than others, I opted for a bit overprocessed. But a good portion of it was the light - it was really harsh noon-time sun at high elevation. I should have pulled out my polarizer much sooner than I did (though I don't think the few I took with it were any better). It just wasn't a good day for me - the last one (and one similar to it, but with only the top of the dead tree) were the only ones I thought were OK. It goes that way sometimes for me, I just can't get things right.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 4:35 PM   #12

You got a lot right on these, I'd love to see what you can get if you process them a bit differently. Could you post a sample "right out of camera" (yes I know, I don't like that expression either).

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 10:43 AM   #13

I'll do that tonight.

Last night I downloaded a little program called GPSPhotoLinker and played with it, the Garmin's track and the pictures I took Sunday. I had synced the camera as much as I can before going hiking Sunday, with the idea that I'd try geotagging the pictures. Everything seemed to work the way I expected it to - I had used Garmin's Mac software to download the track, looked at it on their topo maps and it looked pretty good. The software can export the track as a GPX file (whatever that means, but I found out that's the proper format for all of the various geotagging software programs). The GPSPhotoLinker program is pretty simple - bring in the saved track (I think the program can download the track from the GPS, but I didn't try that) and the photos and the program gives you the track point taken just before the picture and the one just after the picture, along with "guessing" at what a mid-point might be. It tells you the time differences between the points and your picture in seconds. Choose which you want to use and click save to file, it's capable of writing the coordinates to the exif data of .DNG files (I've been using it instead of PEF recently). Imported the files into Lightroom, and the location was there (LR has a little arrow when there are coordinates - click on it and Google's satellite photos come up with your location marked).

Not quite sure what all I'll use this extra capability for, but it's very cool to have it.
Old May 13, 2009, 4:51 PM   #14

I agree with Rodney, not at all boring. I think I'd name the 4th one "The Dancing Forest"

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 10:33 PM   #15

Don't know if you changed any of the images since Kjell posted his message, but all your pics look just fine on my monitor. Your composition, as usual, is excellent. There's not much you can do about the harsh noonday sun. You were there at noon, and you made the best of it.

I've never been to the Sierras, but we have a lot of stunted trees in the high sections of mountains in the northeast. What seems quite different, however, is that in this part of the country, the stunted trees usually have branches growing on only one side, the leeward side from the prevailing winds. In your pics, some of the trees look very much stunted, but I don't see the wind-blown "streamlining" that's so common in the northeast's mountains. Very interesting.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 11:53 PM   #16

I can see what you are seeing, Kjell - especially when I uploaded and compared a couple of different versions of the picture. I got carried away trying to compensate for the resizing and oversharpened. Here's the same picture, just without any extra sharpening:

Here's the original version straight from photomatix. I uploaded the original, full sized version at: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p501395355.jpg if you are interested, or here it is, resized by zenfolio:

Here's one of the original photos I used for the HDR, and shows why I thought it needed help:

Full sized original is at: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p843974712.jpg if anyone is interested.

You can see the differences much better if you go to the album, starting at this photograph http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p780316653/e15c4f810 (it's the macro pine cone I posted earlier, with the next picture being the out-of-the-camera, full sized version next) and flipping through the pictures behind these. The rest of the album is just miscellaneous junk, like the pictures of my tripod set-up, etc.
Old May 14, 2009, 1:32 AM   #17

Did you try "auto contrast" in CS? I did that with the second picture in your last post, it's a matter of taste wether you think it improves or not. The difference is pretty subtle, but noticeable.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote