Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 11, 2009, 11:41 PM   #1

Default More birds . . . one for jelpee

Hi All,

Went out looking for Warblers -- only got this one, but it's a good one, especially since I didn't have any good shots of this species. I cloned out a big distracting leaf in the top right corner.

Chestnut Sided Warbler

They like to hang out near bodies of water (more insects to eat), so I was shooting near the little lake close to home. I looked over and saw this guy.

In the first shot, I cloned out a big ugly branch just in front of the bird.
Black Crowned Night Heron.

It was pretty cool -- the BCNH didn't seem to care that I was there, and I could just walk around without spooking it. These first three were with the K20, FA*300/2.8 and the 1.7x AFA.

This last one's for jelpee -- I seemed to remember a mention of seeing a Baltimore Oriole, but not being able to get a shot in a previous post. I got lucky today and got a pretty good one -- they're very difficult, so this is a VERY lucky one. . . with the new K100S, FA*300/4.5 and the 1.7x AFA handheld.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2009, 3:13 AM   #2

Fantastic shots, everyone of them is special, colours, detail, eye lighting, all good again. Well done.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 8:45 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Hi Scott...thanks for that superb image of the Baltimore Oriole... I had only seen the one two weeks ago at a local park, but it was tough to photograph through the foliage.

As Rodney has already said, Fantastic images in this thread. The color, detail and compositions are flawless.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 11:05 AM   #4

Great work, amazingly sharp. and the bokeh looks like a water-painting.
Old May 12, 2009, 1:12 PM   #5

You have got to watch out for those bargain purchases - now you have one more body to choose among - decisions, decisions, decisions. . . .

That oriole is a great picture, as are the k20 shots.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 2:46 PM   #6

Wow Scott!
That's bout all I can say... Wow!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 4:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Fantastic shots, everyone of them is special, colours, detail, eye lighting, all good again. Well done.
Hi Rodney,

Thanks!

Now that I pretty much have the right stuff to do the job pretty efficiently, I have a little more time to pay attention to the details. I had hoped that would be the case. . . and so far it seems to be paying off.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Hi Scott...thanks for that superb image of the Baltimore Oriole... I had only seen the one two weeks ago at a local park, but it was tough to photograph through the foliage.

As Rodney has already said, Fantastic images in this thread. The color, detail and compositions are flawless.
Hi jelpee,

Thanks!

The Orioles around here seem to like to hang out high in the trees, so I know what you mean. I actually cheated a bit, and used my Ipod with the Stokes Bird Song recordings to lure this guy closer. I had heard one singing, some way off, and played the recorded song once. He responded by calling back, and in a few minutes flew by to check it out. I try to be sparing with the Ipod, as I've seen some birds get pretty agitated, either thinking another bird is intruding into its territory, or that a potential mate might be near.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Great work, amazingly sharp. and the bokeh looks like a water-painting.
Hi Ronny,

Thanks

I'm finding that the tripod/Sidekick is really helping me nail the focus and exposure much more consistently. Ultimately, the sharpness and bokeh have to be credited to the lenses more than anything. As for bokeh, I've found that the TCs tend to make the bokeh more frantic if the background is relatively close to the subject (their worst trait, IMO effecting IQ overall), but in these shots, the background was far enough away to not need any help in PP.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
You have got to watch out for those bargain purchases - now you have one more body to choose among - decisions, decisions, decisions. . . .

That oriole is a great picture, as are the k20 shots.
Hi penolta,

Thanks!

The K20 is pretty much a no brainer as my main body, but I've been rotating between the K10 and K100S as the second body for hand held shots. The K10 has the same layout, so it's easy to switch between shooting it and the K20, but the K100S is noticeably lighter, and it's hard to fault the high ISO performance which becomes more important with a slow combo like the FA* 300/4.5 + 1.7x (f7.7 wide open).

I'm sure that things will get even more complicated for me when the K7 comes out -- we'll have to see what Pentax has in store for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Wow Scott!
That's bout all I can say... Wow!
Hi GW,

Thanks!!

I think I can be pretty happy with that!

Scott
Old May 13, 2009, 5:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
This last one's for jelpee -- I seemed to remember a mention of seeing a Baltimore Oriole, but not being able to get a shot in a previous post. I got lucky today and got a pretty good one -- they're very difficult, so this is a VERY lucky one. . . with the new K100S, FA*300/4.5 and the 1.7x AFA handheld.

Scott
Scott

Where did you get that? A very jittery bird indeed. And you had that spot on with the right set up

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 5:06 PM   #9

Not surprised, but amazed. Post more!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009, 8:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
Scott

Where did you get that? A very jittery bird indeed. And you had that spot on with the right set up
Hi Daniel,

Thanks!

As I stated in my previous post, I did cheat a little, but this guy did react, and I was lucky enough to be ready for him. I'm actually a bit surprised any time one of the birds reacts favorably to the recorded songs.

Personally, I'm much more impressed by your recent posts of GBHs in flight! -- and of course, I'm jealous of the fashion shots. . . but for a different reason. . .

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
Not surprised, but amazed. Post more!
Hi Kjell,

Thanks!

I think my relatively recent commitment to using a tripod whenever possible is a major contributor to improving my bird shots. Once I'm set up, the Sidekick makes it almost ridiculously easy to handle the big lenses. For the small birds, I've been using the Tasco Red Dot sight a lot since adding the weight is no big deal with the Sidekick, and this allows me to get the little guys in the viewfinder that much faster, giving me more time to be more precise in my focusing, metering, and composition. Bottom line, a lot of little factors are adding up to a very significant increase in percentage of keepers, and this gives me a lot more frames to choose from -- and I'm shooting a lot fewer frames total.

If a few years ago, anyone would have told me that my bird shooting would be at least 80% off of a tripod with a top line gimbal, I'd have laughed and shown him a bunch of my handheld stuff. Now the first thing I do is set up the tripod. . . who woulda thought. . .

Scott