Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2009, 5:29 AM   #1

Default Pentax K-7

... 2009_05_20

14.6 Mpixel
3" display with 960.000 pixels
video, mic, hdmi

http://www.photoscala.de/Artikel/Pentax-K7-kommt
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2009, 8:23 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sounds like an APS-C Sensor as well! I don't understand the emphasis on video though which seems like a major push by all brands. I figure if you want video, get a camcorder!

Thanks for the link.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 8:27 AM   #3
OW

New Pentax DSLR

Confirmed by Danish Magazine ZOOM on their web service, that Pentax will reveal their new DSLR model, on May 20th 2009, -that's about 57 year from the release of the ground breaking AsahiFlex !

Being the happy owner of the K20D, one wonders though, what more one could wish for ? According to Danish Zoom the new Camara is supposed to be a "high end" model.

Exiting news, and by the way, -Could one wish for the new model being followed by a Good, Fast Zoom in the 16-90 mm region, and mayby a 60mm Macro prime ?

Whishing U's many good photo hours in the coming spring.

Ole
OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 9:59 AM   #4

I am sure that it will be a wonderful camera, with at least a couple of features, improvements, etc. that would be really nice to have.

After using the K100 for a number of years, I just upgraded to the K20 since I could not resist the price, and between the two cameras, I think I have everything I could really want or use. My skill level needs to rise to the K20.

While using the K100, I acquired a wonderful set of lenses, one at a time - I like landscapes and architecture, so now I have a great body and a set of lenses to support it. The only real item that I could upgrade on would be for Pentax to come out with their version of the Tokina 11-16/f2.8. I would trade my 12-24 for that. Otherwise, I've been searching for a better tripod and head now for over a year.

The actual announcement will be interesting to read, and in time all the new images from the new body will be nice to see. I still see a lot of *ist images that still exceed my capabilities, so its the photographer pushing the button that counts - but great equipment is a plus....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 11:49 AM   #5

100% or almost 100% that it will be the new flag ship replacing K20D as it does not have the on board flash. A sure sign that it follows the footsteps of Canon 5DmkII, iDx or Nikon D3x .

If it is of lower grade than k20D or replacement of K200D it would have the on-board flash.

If you are due for upgrade, might as well wait for 2 weeks. Or you order K20D rightaway as it can hardly go lower

Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
I am sure that it will be a wonderful camera, with at least a couple of features, improvements, etc. that would be really nice to have.

After using the K100 for a number of years, I just upgraded to the K20 since I could not resist the price, and between the two cameras, I think I have everything I could really want or use. My skill level needs to rise to the K20.

While using the K100, I acquired a wonderful set of lenses, one at a time - I like landscapes and architecture, so now I have a great body and a set of lenses to support it. The only real item that I could upgrade on would be for Pentax to come out with their version of the Tokina 11-16/f2.8. I would trade my 12-24 for that. Otherwise, I've been searching for a better tripod and head now for over a year.

The actual announcement will be interesting to read, and in time all the new images from the new body will be nice to see. I still see a lot of *ist images that still exceed my capabilities, so its the photographer pushing the button that counts - but great equipment is a plus....
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 12:34 PM   #6

Here is the Google translation of the German Photoscala article linked in the first post in this thread. Click on that link for the pictures and embodied links. Most of this (except the release date) is still rumor.

Pentax K-7's (updated)
of thomas Saturday, 09 May 2009 - 13:15

"On 20 May, Pentax-day" confirmed Pentax now and so are the rumors about a new K-SLR soil and food:
Pentax Germany has now officially announced that on 20.5.2009 a new Pentax is presented: The countdown to the presentation of the next camera in the K-Series is running, and on 20 May 2009 will finally reveal what all the rumors turn is caused by the network spirits. 

The Home of Pentax Japan is currently, and since a few days, the following picture:

It is not revealing the whole picture will open up on 21.5.2009. (The date discrepancy explained by the time zones - Japan is eight hours ahead of us and what was already 21.5. Is, can we still 20.5.'s.) Pentax Germany in any case already counts the remaining time (see screenshot right) thereafter on 20.5.2009 at 16:00 clock our time so far. 

The most plausible rumors that ghosts through the network, can be summarized as follows:
Name: K7D, K7 or K-7 (Google prefers "K-7" with references to 325.00 compared to 87,000 hits for "K7" and 71,600 for "K7D")
Already in January 2008 had Pentax product manager in an interview with Christian in Lamk digitalfotonetz.de indicated that even single-digit Pentax camera models are conceivable, and what they mean: "I would like to take this opportunity, product descriptions to explain the simple and transparent, but many new entrants in the digital network is not yet clear: Kx = top class (professional segment - "Top of the range product)."
If the rumors then, and they seem very united in the single product name, then the top model from Pentax.
HDMI port, microphone port (which features film implies)
3-inch display
Maybe 100-percent viewfinder
APS-C sensor
approximately 15 megapixels
1 / 8000 s as a fastest shutter speed
Robust housing, dust and splash proof
TeKaDe textet on the homepage: Pentax new DSLR KxxxD now preorder by mail without obligation. Estimated delivery late June / early July. Price of around EUR 1500.00
Pentax Germany offers 10 interested the opportunity to equal the new times to test: The "Alpha testers' reports should post, upload youtube clips, answer questions in the forum, Twitter, etc. More here: On 20 Pentax May Day!
(Thomas / mts)
Addendum (9.5.2009, 14:12 clock): After Google is fairly certain is that the new "K-7" is read, we have the article title and then recorded. Incidentally are now several Pentax branches on their websites, the hours up to the idea of the New, Canada, Japan, Germany, USA, Spain ... A very nice compilation of some hitherto arisen, and the K-7 attributed, photos can be found on flickr: K7 Super Compilation.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielchtong View Post
100% or almost 100% that it will be the new flag ship replacing K20D as it does not have the on board flash. A sure sign that it follows the footsteps of Canon 5DmkII, iDx or Nikon D3x .
Hi Daniel,

I think you're wrong about the onboard flash. I think it would be a mistake to not include one, if for no other reason to use as a master/controller for a remote wireless setup. From what I've seen in the teaser photos, the pentaprism is taller, but shorter from front to back (doesn't overhang as much over the lens). My own little speculation is that they might have "uncrippled" the KAF mount to allow "auto" diaphagm function with K and M type lenses -- for this to be implemented, one would have to be able to see the aperture ring on these lenses. The taller pentaprism design would allow the same lens to flash differential in distance to cut down on the red eye effect. Also, the teaser photos seem to show seams in the pentaprism housing which would not be needed for a no flash pentaprism -- not a smart design choice for a weather sealed body . . . and we can be pretty sure that the body will be WR since Pentax has already stated that they want to emphasize rugged and outdoorsy in the future.

This might also allow some more unlikely technology to emerge. . . like a 1.2x or larger VF magnification factor with an overlaid "heads up" display where the exposure, frame count, focus, Ev comp, etc info is projected on the VF frame much like the focus sensor squares are now. This would be a WOW feature for me -- it could also include different print format crop indicators like 5x7 , 8x10 , or even 16:9.

With only a little over a week to wait, all the speculation that is bouncing around is pretty silly, but it's also fun to be a bit silly once in a while. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 2:14 PM   #8

I'll be happy to read what the specs are when the camera is finally released - "silly" seems to be a good word for describing the speculation.

I love the way Hoya has been advertising the release, it's been absolutely brilliant in building up anticipation within the Pentax community. It's really quite predictable what will happen once its officially announced - there will be those who will think it's brilliant, others who will be bitterly disappointed and then eventually, once it gets in the hands of the community, it will be accepted for what it is (good or bad).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 3:29 PM   #9

Newsflash Newsflash Newsflash

Speculation on features and specs on the new Pentax DSLR will be over! In a little more than a week no more such speculation will raise any interest anywhere. Remember you read it first on this forum, always first with the latest!

Kjell

Last edited by bilybianca; May 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM.
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 3:48 PM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I've just got $2000 just burning a hole in my pocket
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote