Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 17, 2009, 6:10 PM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
The tower didn't bother me - it lends context to the photo. It is better that it is not in the center, where it would be more likely to be disturbing. I like the photo.
[QUOTE=nhmom;969496] . . . chased away by the police. He also sat and watched us delete each and every photo on our cameras before we could leave. Said it was national security issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
When I go shooting in places that "I might not be allowed to be", . . .
Security remains a concern. Cincinnati has an official Airplane Viewing Area that attracts anyone from parents with kids to serious spotters with radios that can receive the tower transmissions (at one time they were on a loudspeaker system for all to hear). The Airport police visit occassionally, but never when I have my gear out. I make it a point to have either my mono-pod or my tripod out just to look like a serious hobbyist. I also make sure I chat with others who are out there just so there is no question about my intentions. Honestly, my gear attracts many who chat with me. At the risk of getting into trouble, I have photographed from public roadways around the airport, but my wife tells me I should not press the issue. I just think they are getting in the way of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness which happens to be photographing aircraft! BTW, I called the airport police last week and asked if I'd be allowed to photograph the aircraft from sorrounding public roadways. I was somewhat rudely told that I was not allowed!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 10:23 PM   #12

Good sharp shots. Have you had any focusing problems with your Sigma ? I have but fixed with a AF adjustment test chart, see link below -

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...est-chart.html

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 7:58 AM   #13

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Rodney, my Sigma's sweet spot seems to be about 280mm and about f/8 where the pictures are pretty good. This means, no sports shooting, or low light shooting where speed or wide apertures are needed. I remind myself to operate within these parameters and do OK. For a US$250 lens, it does very well. On the macro settings, it does an outstanding job as well. The Sigma 100-300 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8 will I'm sure have a lot more capability across the entire zoom ranges, but cost significantly more than my low cost Sigma.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 2:13 PM   #14

What's interesting is how people's experiences have differed. A friend of mine used to do a lot of airplane shooting. About a year after 9-11 or so, he was out on a public street next to the airport, taking pictures. He spent several hours taking pictures and was packing up when a couple of policemen came up. Apparently someone had called them so they talked to him. They said he was on a public sidewalk and they couldn't stop him from taking pictures. They didn't interfere with him in any way, just talked to him, checking him out. He enjoyed talking to them - apparently they were nice guys and he understood what they were doing.

There's a spot along the fenceline of the Las Vegas runway (I think it's on airport property) where there's a small parking area. They closed it off after 9-11 but it seems to me it was re-opened the last time I drove by there, a year or two ago. It's a great location for taking pictures of aircraft.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote