Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 17, 2009, 7:41 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Another Attempt at the Airport

Hung out at the airport yesterday and got a few more keepers. K20D with Sigma 70-300 APO DG. Cloudy day, but on the other hand, it kept out the harsh light. The aircraft were departing to the north which provided a better angle than when they head out south.

United Express EMB departing Rwy 36R

A B767-300 Just Landed on RWY 36R

Finally, here is a Learjet heading out...I think the First Officer may be reading out instructions from the manual on how to get this one airborne

Last edited by Wingman; May 18, 2009 at 8:21 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2009, 8:39 AM   #2

Very nice pictures, but I have a question about aviation photography. I know there's a whole other set of rules that apply to what is a "good" airplane picture, ones that I'm not familiar with at all. I really like the last one, it's my favorite. There's things I also like about the first one, but that's where the question comes in - to my untrained eye, I think the tower in the background makes it look like the plane is a statue and I think about having a tree "growing" out of someone's head. I think that having some ground reference is probably good for airplanes, so I wondered if having the tower in the background as in your first one would be considered a plus, rather than a minus?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 9:36 AM   #3
conor

Great pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Very nice pictures, but I have a question about aviation photography. I know there's a whole other set of rules that apply to what is a "good" airplane picture, ones that I'm not familiar with at all.
Interesting question, now you've got me thinking...

Quote:
I really like the last one, it's my favorite.
Mine too!
Old May 17, 2009, 9:37 AM   #4

Quote:
There's things I also like about the first one, but that's where the question comes in - to my untrained eye, I think the tower in the background makes it look like the plane is a statue and I think about having a tree "growing" out of someone's head. I think that having some ground reference is probably good for airplanes, so I wondered if having the tower in the background as in your first one would be considered a plus, rather than a minus?

I hadn't thought about, but, you've brought up a good point, Harriet. I really like the first shot best, and I think it is the ground reference that makes it attractive to me, but I also understand the distraction of the strong vertical element. Of course, with today's security around airports, it may well be a case of shooting the only angle that is available.

All three shots are very well taken.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 10:29 AM   #5

I would be concerned about security spoiling your fun, especially since 911. Also, you might want to be careful in some places. A number of years ago there was a famous incident which led to the arrest of a number of "plane-spotters" from the UK after they were seen photographing aircraft and logging their numbers while on holiday in Greece. Diplomatic incident and questions asked in parliament etc. etc. Apparently the Greek authorities couldn't understand why folk would want to take pictures and serial # of aircraft, unless for some nefarious purpose; the photographers had gone to Greece on a plane-spotting holiday. Hey, we used to collect locomotive numbers when I was a kid growing up in the UK - my, how times have changed!!!

- Wil

BTW: The First Officer was most probably working through his check-list…
Wil Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Thanks for the comments!

Interesting view points: I am usually very sensitive to the "tree growing out of the head" syndrome and try to avoid it. In this image however that never occurred to me. Like Paul, I cropped to include it in order to provide the ground reference. I guess with my familiarity of the subject and location, it never occurred to me that it would be a distraction! The point is well taken.

Harriet: A lot of what makes a good aviation image is not a whole lot different from what makes a traditional good image (strong subject, composition elements such as perspective, color, contrast & lighting). Aviation photographers tend to be hung up on sharpness to a larger extent than others (IMHO). This means long and expensive glass! They also look for timing...e.g. to capture the smoke when the tires hit the tarmac, etc. I've yet to have any success in getting any images accepted for posting on www.airliners.net

Here's one of the same United Express CRJ700 without any ground references. You get a better view of the First Officer (Looks like the Capt. is at the controls). Also, does not look like there are many passengers on board.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 11:08 AM   #7

I'm jealous. A friend and I were hanging out by the airport a few years ago waiting for it to get dark to take photos of light trails for an assignment and were chased away by the police. He also sat and watched us delete each and every photo on our cameras before we could leave. Said it was national security issue.

These are nice. At first I was distracted by the tower, but it gives reference to the plane.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 11:28 AM   #8
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
I'm jealous. A friend and I were hanging out by the airport a few years ago waiting for it to get dark to take photos of light trails for an assignment and were chased away by the police. He also sat and watched us delete each and every photo on our cameras before we could leave. Said it was national security issue.
When I go shooting in places that "I might not be allowed to be", I always carry another memory card prepped with junk, over/under exposed or out-of-focus images on it in my pocket. The memory card door is really accessible on a D50, and I have no problems switching cards without looking.

I figure if I ever get "caught" and the enforcement individual wants to see what I got, I can either claim that "I havent taken any yet, this card still has stuff from my last shoot" or just answer "Sure, I just hadn't got completely set up yet and don't have anything clear, do you want those deleted?"
Old May 17, 2009, 2:13 PM   #9

Cool pictures, really like the first one.
Old May 17, 2009, 3:19 PM   #10

The tower didn't bother me - it lends context to the photo. It is better that it is not in the center, where it would be more likely to be disturbing. I like the photo.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote