Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 17, 2009, 12:57 PM   #1

Default Filter flare

I have found that filter flare has ruined some images and possibly affects the accuracy of my K10's focusing system. I use a decent quality Hoya UV filter (not an expensive multi-coated filter which may be fine). The first image posted was with the filter, I then removed the filter and shot the second image (the lens was the FA 50mm f1.4)

The difference between the two should be immediately apparent, and I did repeat the experiment to prove it was that bad. From now on the metal lens hood will be the only protection for my FA 50mm and my FA 28-70mm f4, no more UV filters. BTW other than resizing using Windows Powertoys these images are just as they came from the camera.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2009, 2:05 PM   #2

Never would have expected that there would be such a difference.

Thanks for posting this, now I'm going have to check out my filters,
Old May 17, 2009, 3:06 PM   #3

That looks more like a reflection of a window than flare. Perhaps because the filter is flat and the first lens surface curved?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 3:08 PM   #4
conor

All glass will reflect a TINY amount of light, I'm guessing that the bright light entered the window, a tiny portion reflected off the lens and a tiny portion of that was reflected back off the inside of filter and back into the lens....

but who am I to say?
Old May 17, 2009, 6:48 PM   #5

I can show several other examples of this, the filter causes the flare, without it the images are fine. Expensive multi-coated filters probably work fine but the average mid range filter, such as the Hoya I used, will cause issues if there is a bright light in an otherwise low light image. In normal lighting there are no issues but under these specific circumstances flare will often occur.

Check out http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...m-feb-05.shtml and this http://toothwalker.org/optics/filterflare.html and even this http://www.flickr.com/groups/technique/discuss/7433/

Ira
Here is another example, notice the green dots corresponding to the candles in this low light shot.
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 8:12 PM   #6
conor

I have a feeling that "filter flare" was my problem in my "Red River Locks" image... (I have it posted here under that title in one of the forums)

I realized after the shots that I had left my (very cheap) polarizing filter on the lens when I jumped out of the car to take my shots....