Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 17, 2009, 9:05 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Upgraded from DL to . . .

Having sold my DL & kit lenses, I was looking to upgrade to the K200 as my second body and one for my teenage daughter to use. However, I came across a posting on Craig's List for a K10D + a 24mm f/2.8 Sigma Super Wide II Macro Lens. I checked them both out this afternoon and decided to make the purchase. I was not familiar with this Sigma lens. The seller said he purchased it 10+ years ago for use on a film Pentax body. I found only one reference on it saying it was a reasonably good (color and sharp) lens. Here is a picture of the new body and lens as well as some samples from the Sigma lens. I would be interested to know if anyone is familiar with this particular model. I must admit, that I am very impressed with it's color and sharpness. There is some pini-cusion distortion at the perimeter, but nothing that could not be filtered out.

Next to my 50mm f/1.7, this will be my second prime lens. All in all, I am please with the upgrade from the DL! Next on the list is the Sigma 18-250 w/the HSM for Pentax (Adorama is taking orders for future delivery). That will be the walk around lens for the K10D.

Here is the gear:

The next 3 are using the K10D and the Sigma lens. No PP except for resizing.

Macro image: You can see a slight haze on the lower half of the face of the watch. However, that iappears to be a lighting issue vs an IQ issue. Once again, no PP applied to this image.

I can see some pin-cusion distortion on the top edge of the building above the "Sears" sign. But sharpness is excellent I think.

Decent color rendition..perhaps a tad too much saturation set in the camera. I need to hit the reset button to reset the prior owner's settings.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2009, 9:36 PM   #2

Jay
Congrats on the new addition

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 11:28 PM   #3

Looks very good - the lens looks quite capable.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 11:31 PM   #4

Looks like a great buy to me, your shots show good detail and are sharp. Hard to know what the colour should be, however it does seem a bit too red.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 3:30 AM   #5

Great purchase, you'll enjoy the K10, I'm sure.

Lens doesn't look bad either.

Ronny
Old May 18, 2009, 8:45 AM   #6

I had the manual focus version of the Sigma 24 2.8.-Purchased it in the early 90's. Used it on my Super Program quite a lot-was a good perfomer & at that time was significantly lower in price compared to the Pentax lens.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 9:08 AM   #7

Thanks for your comments and endorsement of the K10D!

The seller had upgraded to a K20D and was no longer using this K10D. Funny how he was getting rid of his second body and I was looking for a second body, both of which turned out to be the K10D. So I now have the K20D and the K10D! One man's junk....!

I must admit that I'm having way more luck with Criag's List than e-Bay. Once you ignore all the scammers who want you to give them your Paypal information, you get better pricing and the ability to examine the merchandise before buying. BTW, I spent about 30 minutes checking out all the camera functions before handing over the cash. Besides, you meet some really nice local folks as well!

Now all I hope is that the 5/20 announcement from Pentax will not render all of this gear obsolete
Old May 20, 2009, 9:08 PM   #8

Looks like a good deal, jelpee. Your daughter is going to love this. Or, are you planning on keeping it to yourself

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 10:20 PM   #9

Well, now that you've read the announcement - do you feel your new (to you) camera is suddenly "obsolete"? While it sounds like a wonderful camera, I don't think even my K100 is suddenly "obsolete" - just older but still capable. So enjoy the "new" K10 - it looks pretty capable to me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 8:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Well, now that you've read the announcement - do you feel your new (to you) camera is suddenly "obsolete"? While it sounds like a wonderful camera, I don't think even my K100 is suddenly "obsolete" - just older but still capable. So enjoy the "new" K10 - it looks pretty capable to me.
Having read the specs on the K7, not by a long shot! My reaction to the published specs of the K7 are some what dampened in that with the exception of perhaps the auto leveling feature and the ability to include copyright info into the image, the k7 just seems to be catching up with specs that are already out there in C and N land (i.e. AF speed, burt rate, top shutter speed of 1/8000, Mg Alloy body, etc). I'm not sure that the innovations that are claimed to be "unique" to the k7 impress me a whole lot to have considered trading up to it! The one thing I wish Pentax would adopt is an on-demand composition grid in the view finder. I got to experience this when I tried out a D300 last June and thoughtit was a cool tool. It is easy to get sloppy when using digital and this almost forces you to get back to basics of composition such as the rule of 3rds and keeping horizons straight. I'd take this over auto leveling. In the mean time, I am waiting eagerly for the test results, both from labs as well as early adopters. IQ tops all when it comes to performance.

Re. the K10 vs. the K20 however, there are some cool features in the K20D that are missing on the k10: ability to have a custom file naming system, custom picture modes, extended dynamic range, live view, and a much quieter shutter. Just a comparison only...not a complaint. After all, I purchased this as a second body and for the $350 I paid for it, it will work just fine!