Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 17, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1

Default K10D or me- can't handle white colours too well ?

I seem to have trouble with taking pictures of white or light cream colored subjects with my K10D.

I have tried putting my white balance on AWB, cloudy, bright sunlight as per conditions...but my 'whites' aren't satisfactory.

A lot of times they seem underexposed or muddy.

I take pictures under the same lighting conditions of the same subjects at the same time with my new Pentax KM and the 'whites' seem to be exposed just fine.

All other colors seem to be exposed well with my K10D.

Any suggestions as to where I or my K10D is going wrong ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2009, 11:35 PM   #2

The reason why your whites are coming out muddy, especially if you are taking a picture where most of the frame is filled with white, is because of the way the camera meters. The camera assumes that a proper exposure is grey (like a mid-grey). So it's assuming the white is supposed to be grey and underexposing the picture. A good idea when shooting white subjects, like flowers, when most of the frame is filled with something that light, is to put in a +Ev. Also, don't use spot metering - spot metering on a white object will always underexpose, while you might get a better exposure if you use matrix (depends on if there's enough dark in the frame to influence the meter).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 11:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The reason why your whites are coming out muddy, especially if you are taking a picture where most of the frame is filled with white, is because of the way the camera meters. The camera assumes that a proper exposure is grey (like a mid-grey). So it's assuming the white is supposed to be grey and underexposing the picture. A good idea when shooting white subjects, like flowers, when most of the frame is filled with something that light, is to put in a +Ev. Also, don't use spot metering - spot metering on a white object will always underexpose, while you might get a better exposure if you use matrix (depends on if there's enough dark in the frame to influence the meter).
Thanks, Mtngal, I will make those adjustments on my K10D and give it a shot. I notice it mostly when I'm taking frame filling shots of vintage all white, or two tone cars with primarily a white tone.

Tonight at a car show,I was taking pictures of a '63, all white T-Bird and it was giving me fits...while I was making adjustments to the K10D to try to get 'my whites...whiter....
Old May 23, 2009, 7:50 PM   #4

Mtngal,

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried both of them...changing meter mode and adjusting my EV.

The whites are white...perfect. Again thank you, much appreciated.

Les