Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:35 PM   #11

Quote:
There is no question as to their value but they are difficult adjust as in a lot of cases it is necessary to remove the lens hood each time you change positions to the sun.
Depending on the sun angle, you may not even need to use a hood. Except for the widest angles (which could cause vignetting), one other solution would be to use a collapsable rubber lens hood screwed into the front of the filter instead of the original bayonet that encloses it. There are some which collapse to more than one length to accommodate different angles of view. You can then easily rotate the polarizer to the best angle.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:15 PM   #12

Quote:
There is no question as to their value but they are difficult adjust as in a lot of cases it is necessary to remove the lens hood each time you change positions to the sun.
Depending on the sun angle, you may not even need to use a hood. Except for the widest angles (which could cause vignetting), one other solution would be to use a collapsable rubber lens hood screwed into the front of the filter instead of the original bayonet that encloses it. There are some which collapse to more than one length to accommodate different angles of view. You can then easily rotate the polarizer to the best angle.

The nice thing about the Pentax lenses and hoods is the removable tab that allows you to keep the lens hood on and still adjust the filter.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:47 PM   #13

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
Quote:

The nice thing about the Pentax lenses and hoods is the removable tab that allows you to keep the lens hood on and still adjust the filter.
That is one feature that the DA 18-250 hood lacks!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:08 PM   #14

FP - I use a B+W circular polarizer. I only have one with 77 mm threads - the size of my two largest lenses. I also have a couple of step-up rings so I can use it on smaller lenses and it works quite well. Only problem is that you can't leave it on the lens - I'd need to buy another lens cap just for it. And I can't use the lens's hood. But for the most part, I haven't felt much of a need for a hood - I can always use my hand or a lens cap or a hat or... to avoid lens flare.

Exif information for the one without the filter was 1/400 sec, f7.1 while the second one was 1/200 sec. f5.0. I can never remember what the equivalent combinations are, but you can definitely see there's a significant difference.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote