Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2009, 3:14 PM   #1

Default Sunday drive near Mt Rainier.

OK, here are some pics taken with the Pentax K10D of Mt Rainier.
I've noticed a bit of "noise" in the sky shots with the Nikon P90 that I also used and used PureImage to clean it up. Then they look great.
I"m a little disappointed in that as there should be NO noise at 100 ISO.
With the Pentax K10D, there was no noise at all and didn't need any cleaning up. Maybe this is the DSLR difference...

jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2009, 4:31 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Very nice! I visited Mt. Ranier NP in 2006 and was amazed at the beauty of the area! Rode the Mt. Ranier Scenic RR and enjoyed some great scenery along the was as well!

You seem like you've adjusted to a DSLR rather well. The last image looks like a postcard. I also liked the one with the lake in the foreground...not too excited about the folks fishing though!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 4:32 PM   #3

Great pictures of a beautiful mountain! I like No 2 and 6 the best. No 2 because I would like to be sitting on that dock fishing. What a tranquil scene!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 4:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
No 2 because I would like to be sitting on that dock fishing. What a tranquil scene!

Lou
Exactly why I included the two folks instead of just the lake and mountain. I felt just like them when I was BQ'ing lunch over looking the lake and was trying to convey the feeling.

Thanks for the nice comments.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:26 PM   #5

Great Pix Jack,
really nice rich colors!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 8:02 PM   #6

The first one has too much blown out highlights. The fishing scene is a nice composition and conveyance of the serene scene and the majestic Mt. The third has the leaves OOF as a distracting element. The fourth has a bit much in foreground. Love the last two.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 10:24 PM   #7

The fishing one is my favourite, although they are all very nice.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 10:27 PM   #8

I love the second one, too - it tells a story. And I like the last two also. The third one is easier to get right with a small sensor camera, where you can have the leaves in focus, too. That's a disadvantage to a dSLR - trying to take a picture with a really big DOF. And yes, the noise issue is one of the biggest gains to a dSLR - don't need noise reduction half as much.

The fourth one is an interesting shot in one way. You could either look at it as having too much foreground, or too much sky - it's like there's two different pictures in it (it's like it is too balanced the way it is, in my opinion). I tried using the top or the bottom of my monitor to "crop" a bit of sky, then crop a bit of the foreground. My personal thought is that either way would work nicely, and would perhaps give you a better picture (I think I would like the sky cropped off with more foreground left, leaving the contrast from that lovely, bright green against the snow on the mountain). But then, composition isn't my strong suit.

In any case, I really like the series! You also live in a beautiful area (one which I'm hoping to get close to this fall, if all goes according to plan).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009, 10:45 PM   #9

This was a "tune-up" for the upcoming June 6th-15th photo-op vacation the wife and I are taking. We're going through Jasper National Park in Alberta, then Edmonton, Calgary on the way down to Montana's Glacier National Park, then through Northern Idaho back home in WA. We will be seeing lots of Mountains so the tips you all are giving me are greatly appreciated.

I took notes of my best settings so I won't have to fiddle much on the trip.
My notebook with Adobe Photoshop & storage etc will be a very important tool on this trip too. I want to make sure I have good shots before leaving any of these gorgeous mountains on this trip.

Some of you like my "telling a story" picture of the couple fishing...
This sort of tells a story too: My "Pentax K10D" camera at work (shot with my Nikon P90)

Last edited by jack55; May 18, 2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:18 PM   #10

Great sounding trip! Are you going to go through Banff on the way up to Jasper? I still remember driving the road that goes through the Rockies from Banff to Jasper - that's such an awesome drive and there's so many things to see along it. It was too many years ago, but I remember most of the trip and would love to return again (along with Glacier National Park - I've only been there once).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote