Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 19, 2009, 8:17 PM   #1

Default "Down By The Old Mill Stream" (3 Pictures)

This old mill building was built in 1836 and was home to the BallardVale Mfg. Co. The first wool worsted and wool flannel made in America was produced here.

It is a 4 story brick structure with granite trim and a gabled roof. It sits on the Shawsheen River. The river was dammed to provide power for the mill. The dam is now only a spillway.

The building is in its second life and is used as an office building.

I have included two pictures of the mill and one of the small waterfall beside it. First is taken this week, the other two taken 11/07

Hope you enjoy!

K100D Zenitar 16mm F5.6, 1/1000" ISO 200

16mm F5.6 Shutter speed lost. ISO 200

Kit Lens 18-55mm F22, +.03EV , 1/6" hand held.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2009, 8:49 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice series Lou! I have a special fondness for pictures that show water and you've done well to capture the reflection especially in #1. # 2 shows a nice deep blue reflection, and beautiful evening (?) light. I thought #2 could benefit from some perspective correction to straighten out the right side of the building. I've made a quick attempt at it (hope you do not mind). I like the water fall as well. BTW, you must have a steady hand to have captured that image at 1/6th of a second handheld!!

Last edited by Wingman; May 19, 2009 at 8:54 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 9:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Nice series Lou! I have a special fondness for pictures that show water and you've done well to capture the reflection especially in #1. # 2 shows a nice deep blue reflection, and beautiful evening (?) light. I thought #2 could benefit from some perspective correction to straighten out the right side of the building. I've made a quick attempt at it (hope you do not mind). I like the water fall as well. BTW, you must have a steady hand to have captured that image at 1/6th of a second handheld!!

Jelpee,

Thanks for your comment and critique.

I never noticed the end of the building was not vertical. I put the photo through PT Lens and thought it looked OK. You certainly made it look a lot better.

I did cheat taking the waterfall picture. There was a dumpster to my right and my body was braced against it. This helped me steady myself, otherwise I do not think I could have held steady enough to get the shot.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:35 PM   #4

That's a nice edit of a very pretty picture - the lighting that evening was perfect. It's not easy trying to deal with a very wide angle lens, and as I recall, the Zenitar is a fish-eye as well. It's nice that someone could "recycle" that historical building.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 11:29 PM   #5

Beautiful shots of history, the spillway shot shows how food a kit lens can be.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 5:02 AM   #6

Great reflections, but my fav is the stream.

Ronny
Old May 20, 2009, 6:03 AM   #7

Beautiful series and great example of "recycle/reuse." Also great use of the "dumpster/tripod" to capture such a fine water shot!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 6:24 AM   #8

Beautiful old building. It's nice they found another use for it.

I really like the falls. Very pretty.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 7:54 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Jelpee,

I never noticed the end of the building was not vertical. I put the photo through PT Lens and thought it looked OK. You certainly made it look a lot better.

Lou, you're quite welcome...I just ran it through the perspective adjustment feature in Photoshop Elements 5. I got the trial version of PT Lens to experiment with defishing on my DA 10-17 FE, but in all the FE shots I have come to enjoy the curvature of the shots and therfore not really used PT lens much. For other perspective corrections, PSE 5 also has a camera distortion filter which corrects pin-cusion/barrel distortion, and horizontal & vertical perspective adjustments especially when using wide angle lenses.

In any event, I only improved on what was already a great image!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 9:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Lou, you're quite welcome...I just ran it through the perspective adjustment feature in Photoshop Elements 5. I got the trial version of PT Lens to experiment with defishing on my DA 10-17 FE, but in all the FE shots I have come to enjoy the curvature of the shots and therfore not really used PT lens much. For other perspective corrections, PSE 5 also has a camera distortion filter which corrects pin-cusion/barrel distortion, and horizontal & vertical perspective adjustments especially when using wide angle lenses.

In any event, I only improved on what was already a
great image!
Jelpee,

Jelpee,

After your post I made the adjustment to the picture in PT Lens and found it only needed a minor crop at the top. PT Lens has a plug in to Photoshop so it works well for me as I us CS. Since you brought the issue to my attention I also found some slight barrel distortion as well and removed it. Without you bringing this to my attention I would not have learned anything from the posting. The critiques are what make me a better photographer. I have the proper tools but sometimes neglect using them.

I have found that the 16mm Z on the cropped sensor camera dose not distort enough to be fun but is enough to need some degree of correction. Only when you get up close to something do you get the fun house effect.

I have to say that I really enjoy this lens and it is always in my bag. It is a no brainer to use as it seems to take its best shots at F 5.6 and focus set @ infinity. It renders colors beautifully and for the $135.00 I paid for it was a bargain. Not having a lens hood it will flare badly under some circumstances (shooting into the sun) but I usually shade the lens with my hand holding it far enough away to not see it in the image or change my shooting angle.

My next lens purchase will likely be a wider lens such as your Pentax DA 10-17 or the Sigma 10-20.
Lou