Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 20, 2009, 5:20 AM   #11

Nice night shots. My favorites are the last two, but they are all great images.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 6:07 AM   #12

Great series - fine use of light and mood, such richness of color! Enjoyed seeing these very much - thanks!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 6:19 AM   #13

All are great for being night shots. I think the guest house and the last two skylines are my favorite. Although, I wish I could see the top of the tree in the guest house one. Just me being picky.

All the times I've been to San Diego and never to Hotel del Coronado. It sure looks lovely.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 2:14 PM   #14

Those are very nice!
quite a switch from Tumbleweed huh?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 9:13 PM   #15

All neat shots, looks like a wonderful candy store. It's not fair that you should post those pictures, though - makes me want to go to the store for dessert. The last 2 are my favorites, though I love the little bit of color in the second one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 11:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
All neat shots, looks like a wonderful candy store. It's not fair that you should post those pictures, though - makes me want to go to the store for dessert. The last 2 are my favorites, though I love the little bit of color in the second one.
What I did not get a shot of, which was right next door, was the ice cream shop - the MOO Time Creamery ( I think that they call it...). It is an old time hand dipped ice cream shop with about 50 flavors, and the ice cream is wonderful (also somewhat expensive). Actually, I like the ice cream better than the candy... It was not as visually as interesting a picture as the candy or gift shop, so it lost out.

The other item is right next to the main restaurant is the desert place, where you can pick up deserts for take out. Between the ice cream and the desert place, presents a very very hard choice.

I have never stayed at the Hotel Del, although I offered my wife to make reservations for our 25 anniversary - that was last week, but I was still recovering from surgery and the doctor suggested waiting another week before traveling - just to make sure. Anyway one of these days.

My dad made a trip down to Coronado Island in the 1930's when he was just out of grammar school and always wanted to stay there. It was a 2 day drive then from LA. He said that they didn't have 2 nickels to rub together back then, but the beach was great, and they could always look at the big fancy hotel.

The first shot, I am somewhat disappointed in because I was very careful with setting up the shot, tripod, 2 second delay, external shutter release, - just everything, and there is just enough movement on what appears to be the glass water, to fuzzy up the fine details (along with the incoming fog). I took about 20 of these from a variety of views, and this was the first one to catch my eye - I have to go back and take a much better look.

Shots 2 & 3 were just targets of opportunity - hand held. I took #3 first and saw that the sky turned out very blue - so I tried to take some more of various other perspectives, but the first was the best. It took me another 7 shots to actually capture #2.

Numbers 4, 5 & 6 I had been planning in my mind since February when I went over there last and only took my LX3 and came back with something similar to these, but not as good. As soon as I saw them on the screen, I knew what I need to do to fix the shots. However, I took them on an angle and found out back here that there was a chain hanging down the side that just killed an otherwise perfect shot. But I had these that I went with. The candy store is named Spreckels after one of the early owners of the hotel way back when - Mr Spreckels of Spreckels Sugar.

The last 2, were somewhat of a compromise. The last one, I should have gone back to the car and picked up my 55-300 and used that, but alas I didn't so this was somewhat of a make due shot. I'll know better for next time. The second to the last was one of about 10, but there was a fog moving in, and it just killed the sharpness of everything, so this was the best of the bunch.

I did learn a lot. There were quite a number of shots I wanted but did not have time for - I just got too tired, and had early morning meetings, so I needed to get back to the hotel up the coast so I make the meetings on time. I tried out my 12-24 quite a bit, but (and I hate to say this) it was too wide. So I think that most of these were with the 16-45. Actually I had a lot of fun. I need a much better tripod and head - I guess my next acquisition.

Thanks for the comments!!!!! Very much appreciated!
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote