Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 29, 2009, 8:08 PM   #101

I happen to be in major disagreement.

Pentax has to still be a consumer camera manufacturer. Premium lenses will not be the answer at all.

Just like in the old days, the Pentax 50-200mm F 4.0 lens produced a consumer level lens, that had excellent quality. Hoya has to continue the same approach. Pentax has to be known/become famous for great quality at a consumer level prices if they are to survive in the long term.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 9:10 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
I happen to be in major disagreement.

Pentax has to still be a consumer camera manufacturer. Premium lenses will not be the answer at all.

Just like in the old days, the Pentax 50-200mm F 4.0 lens produced a consumer level lens, that had excellent quality. Hoya has to continue the same approach. Pentax has to be known/become famous for great quality at a consumer level prices if they are to survive in the long term.

Sarah Joyce
i must agree with you here
prime quality lenses is for a hand full of photograghers
great IQ, not so much build quality, reasonably fast, good zoom range is a consumer lens.
volume = turnover = profit

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 9:57 PM   #103

Thanks a lot, Dave-

All too often we loose track of where Pentax is actually heading. I sincerely believe that Hoya has their head on correctly. Pentax in the past, as well as in the future should strife to give many, many photographers around the world value for their investment in the Pentax name.

It is as simple as that.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 30, 2009, 12:56 AM   #104

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Dave-

All too often we loose track of where Pentax is actually heading. I sincerely believe that Hoya has their head on correctly. Pentax in the past, as well as in the future should strife to give many, many photographers around the world value for their investment in the Pentax name.

It is as simple as that.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah,

Welcome back and congrats on the new K2000.

I agree with you that Hoya's influence seems to have turned Pentax in the right direction.

I think that they now have to really commit to the small, rugged, outdoorsy niche that they have stated. A fully Weather Resistant line of bodies and lenses with reasonably competitive specs for each respective class would place them in a unique place, and probably wouldn't cost as much as trying to go head to head with the competition.

Continuing with the APS-C format would be justified because they would be concentrating on compact bodies, and retooling the lens lineup for WR would be a lot cheaper than redeveloping the line for FF, so they could leave the FF to CanNikSon without being looked down upon for not having a body at this level. For those who feel that Pentax needs a prestige line, if for nothing else but appearances -- the 645D should do nicely without having to go head to head with the FF players.

They could draw some sales from Canon and Nikon shooters who might be attracted to a compact WR body with a few Ltd WR primes as an everyday walkaround system. They could also possibly draw some converts from Oly with a more compact body and larger sensor (APS-C to 4/3 is something like 24x36 to APS-C).

They would also get some repeat lens sales as Pentaxians replace their favorite current lenses with the new WR models. This would also improve the used lens market for new Pentaxians as some high quality lenses would be sold off as they are replaced with sealed ones.

Now all they have to do is release a nice solid mid range compact WR body and add WR to the K2000 as the key feature of the new entry level body in a year.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 6:36 AM   #105

I agree with the above . . . I think Pentax / Hoya (Even Pentax before Hoya) is heading in the right direction. (And for me, they are already where I consider them the camera I want. <grin>)

As for the optics, I believe they are just as important as the past.

What has changed, IMHO, is the ratio between the importance between the lens & camera body.

In the old days, when I grabbed my dad's Pentax SV, I just thought that the camera body was a light-tight box that let me attach a lens to it and expose film. As long as the shutter worked, I didn't care if it was a Pentax or Canon. So, to me, the two main important things were what lens I had on & what film I had in the body.

Now . . . there is no film. So the camera body is more important than in the past, because when you choose a camera body, you choose the image quality that it can create & you are locked in. You can't just wait until a new film comes out and stick it in. (ie. The Kodak T-Max, etc.)

So, lenses are still primo important to image quality, but cameras have risen in their responsibility in the equation.

(Of course, I'm biased and I think Pentax has really risen to the challenge and done an excellent job making sure that Pentax bodies deliver a fantastic job. <grin> Which is why I think when Pentax releases the 645D, they will sell out what small numbers they plan to manufacture.)

Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 11:32 AM   #106

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Dave-

It is as simple as that.

Sarah Joyce
I agree with you Sarah. I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding Pentax's role in the camera world.

I was originally... wary of what would happen to Pentax after Hoya took over, but I can't argue with the introduction of a camera like the K7 or the KM/2000.

I think Hoya is on the right path.

As an aside, I know you have done tutorials on Pentax flash, for example. Are you planning to do a similar tutorial on the Pentax KM/2000 ?

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 12:45 PM   #107

Quote:
For those who feel that Pentax needs a prestige line, if for nothing else but appearances -- the 645D should do nicely without having to go head to head with the FF players.
According to a Hoya management spokesman's interview, the 645D will not be released in the US (North American?) market because they do not anticipate enough sales here to justify the expense (I assume that includes cost of sales, trained repair and customer service personnel, warehousing both cameras and repair parts, shipping, etc.) I guess economics trump the prestige factor. I am not at all convinced that Hoya's management understands the American market or targets professionals - they plan only (and have so stated) to target the amateur/advanced amateur enthusiast - and primarily by internet sales at that.

Last edited by penolta; May 30, 2009 at 12:47 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 2:15 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
According to a Hoya management spokesman's interview, the 645D will not be released in the US (North American?) market because they do not anticipate enough sales here to justify the expense (I assume that includes cost of sales, trained repair and customer service personnel, warehousing both cameras and repair parts, shipping, etc.) I have difficulty with that...my impression with the Pentax medium formats..both the old film 645 and the 6 X 7 was that they did do all right market wise in North America. I've never used the 645, but I do have some experience with the 6 X 7...thought it was a suberb camera...a real pro piece of equipment.
I think there is a market for a Pentax medium format...lot's of commercial / wedding photographers that would be interested I would think.
I guess economics trump the prestige factor. I am not at all convinced that Hoya's management understands the American market or targets professionals - they plan only (and have so stated) to target the amateur/advanced amateur enthusiast - and primarily by internet sales at that.
In my previous post I indicated that I thought Hoya was on the right track. I should of added for starters.

By that I mean that the KM (modern equivalent of the film K1000) and the K7 were good introductions . When these cameras were released I was somewhat relieved as I was concerned that Hoya might let the proud tradition of Pentax SLR's wither on the vine.
I still don't know what Hoya will do with Pentax, but I'm cautiously optimistic with the recent intro of these two cameras.

I sometimes wonder if eventually Samsung, the Korean electronics giant will take over Pentax....but that's just idle speculation on my part.

I do hope they go from strength to strength. I would like to see Pentax return to it's former glory of the '60's through '70's. Back then they had a very strong 35mm SLR line...Spotmatic, electronic spotmatic (ES/ES ll)...then the K bayonet mount...K2, KX...evolving into the MX...then LX...with the everyman's K1000 for the average guy...or woman (my wife bought one new)...or the school camera for student photographers. They had the market covered....average person's entry camera to the advance amateur/ Pro market (LX).

Then there were the medium formats...serious cameras for advanced amateurs or pro's who earned a living with these workhorses.

Old May 30, 2009, 3:27 PM   #109

I would actually like to do that-

But, we leave tomorrow morning (05/31) for a nine week contract teaching digital camera on cruise ships. We will be home for a week on 08/15 and then off on another 6 week contract that finishes on 10/31.

So, perhaps toward the end of the year I will have time to do a tutorial. I would like to do one, but for now it has to wait until we finish up our contracts.

For me at least, the KM 2000 is the ideal size camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 30, 2009, 5:03 PM   #110

Quote:
I would actually like to do that-

But, we leave tomorrow morning (05/31) for a nine week contract teaching digital camera on cruise ships. We will be home for a week on 08/15 and then off on another 6 week contract that finishes on 10/31.

So, perhaps toward the end of the year I will have time to do a tutorial. I would like to do one, but for now it has to wait until we finish up our contracts.

For me at least, the KM 2000 is the ideal size camera.

Sarah Joyce
Sarah,

Sounds good. Hope you have the opportunity to take your KM/2000 on your contract trips.

Enjoy your working cruises.

Les