Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 30, 2009, 5:11 PM   #111

Les-

Yes, the KM-2000+ flash+kit lens+the Pentax 50-200mm lens are packed.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 8:16 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
If the AF is greatly improved I will buy it, if not I won't!

The K20D works for me image quality wise, and it isn't too large for me to handle.

I have less than no interest in the video feature of the K-7, and the rest isn't enough for me to ditch the K20D and spend $1,300 unless the AF is as fast as my friends Canon. If not, I will stick with what I have until Pentax comes out with a model with fast AF.

Tom

PS: Why is the posting time all messed up, I know it is not 4:45 AM here right now?
tom,
you've struck the nail on the head.
if i want vid then i'll get a vid cam. my fuji s7000 was known for it's great vid of the time but i have absolutely no vids at all..
you all know i just bought the k20.. i think it'll keep me happy for 3-5years barring a FF model.. of course i'd wait until i'd buy it till it was 50% of the release price..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 10:32 PM   #113

A year ago I went to sea for a couple of weeks on a Navy ship, to support our equipment on an extended test. I took my K100 and a little canon sd500, which had simple video capability. I wound up taking about 40 video clips of various things (helicopter flight operations, LCAC (hovercraft) operations - driving up in side the ship's well deck, flight deck fire fighting exercises, Steel Beach Picnic, etc.). Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, where we were going to do a demonstration with another company. They were looking for some shipboard video to put up on some wall monitors simulating shipboard deck cameras. The video came in handy - just exactly what they were looking for. Now on the other hand if it were HD video, taken with a really fine glass, it would have blown everyone away.

Moral of the story - you really never know.....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 10:01 AM   #114

When is the release date for the K7D? I am going back to Washington State in June for a couple of months and just might buy it there
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 11:29 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
When is the release date for the K7D? I am going back to Washington State in June for a couple of months and just might buy it there
Hi hercules,

You should be there at about the right time. They are supposed to ship in late June, and be released in early July. Pentax has had some scheduling problems in the past with releases, but with the exception of the DA*60-250, been pretty good at releasing new products on time.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 12:30 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
If the AF is greatly improved I will buy it, if not I won't!

The K20D works for me image quality wise, and it isn't too large for me to handle.

I have less than no interest in the video feature of the K-7, and the rest isn't enough for me to ditch the K20D and spend $1,300 unless the AF is as fast as my friends Canon. If not, I will stick with what I have until Pentax comes out with a model with fast AF.
Hi Tom,

I used to think that Pentax's slower AF and continuous burst performance were some things that I just had to work around, but I'm rethinking that stance, especially regarding Pentax's ability to gain market share.

The most apparent "feature" when doing a "hands on" with a camera is the AF speed. I think that most consumers won't care much if the time to lock isn't noticeably different, but I think that Pentax models have been perceptively slower -- and this makes a big difference, especially since the IQ differences are so small as to be negligible for non-purists. It's not only for the sports/wildlife shooters -- it's very important for the guy who kust wants to get good shots of the kids and pets running around.

Personally, I'd be happy if the K-7's AF could just zero in on an accurate lock without having to sometimes "micro hunt" before locking. My understanding from reading "first impressions" of preproduction examples is that the new algorithms allow the K-7 to do just this -- and at noticeably lower light levels than all previous models. We'll see. . . I'll wait for the impressions after production firmware is finalized. It's also important that the improvement in AF speed also applies to screw drive lenses -- otherwise my FA*s will feel like unwanted stepchildren. . .

But there's a possible downside (believe it or not) to very fast focusing -- SR takes a little time to activate. Faster AF means that acquiring a lock might become consistently faster than full SR activation, which, for some shooters, might mean blurring [B]caused[B] by SR. I usually focus, then hold it for a pose, so the great majority of the time, faster AF will just give me more possible shots. With improved AF speed, we might have to adjust some old habits (be more aware of the little hand symbol in the VF).

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 7:52 PM   #117

RE: it's very important for the guy who kust wants to get good shots of the kids and pets running around.

Snostorm, I think you are absolutely right! Fast autofocus is really handy in this situation.

And when these features (faster autofocus & better white balance) filter down to the K3000 <grin>, then Pentax is going to have a really potent entry-level camera to perfectly target that segment of the market.

Hopefully this comes out a month or two before Christmas . . . just in time for when I'm guessing my sister will finally decide to buy a dSLR. <grin>

Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 3:05 AM   #118

I may have missed it in my reading, but what is the ISO range for the K7? I also agree with others that adding the movie-making ability is superfluous, and the added cost therefor will probably decrease the sales made. I have a videocam, but never use it anymore, finding the act of creation to be boring alongside my DSLR work.
Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:52 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
I may have missed it in my reading, but what is the ISO range for the K7? I also agree with others that adding the movie-making ability is superfluous, and the added cost therefor will probably decrease the sales made. I have a videocam, but never use it anymore, finding the act of creation to be boring alongside my DSLR work.
Old Engineer
From 100-6400 ISO

Looking good

http://www.demystifyingdigital.com/D...SLR/index.aspx
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:15 PM   #120

Default K-7 sample videos using several Pentax lenses

Pentax used the 70mm, 200mm F2.8, 10-17mm @12mm, 300mm @5.8 .

http://pentaxk-7.blogspot.com/

Quote:
One of the camera’s amazing features is Composition Adjustment, which lets you apply micro adjustments to the composition in-camera—the kind of subtle pixel-by-pixel up/down, right/left movements that can’t be done by simply adjusting a tripod or moving it oh-so-slightly in one direction or another. To do this, the camera actually lets you move the sensor itself in micro-movements until it’s positioned perefectly. If you’ve ever struggled to get your tripod in just the right spot and your camera at just the right height, you’ll appreciate this feature.

Multiple exposure? It’s in there. Extended bracketing up to 5 frames? Yup. Intervalometer? Check. Ability to add your copyright to each image’s EXIF data. You bet.

Conclusion

Thanks to its many unique, innovative features, the Pentax K-7 makes a compelling case for owners of other brand cameras to change systems. As Jack says, it's nothing less than a game changer. The first of its kind to offer in-camera HDR, giving it the ability to capture an impressive range of light (
according to our resident HDR expert Jack Howard, that range should be almost 17EV!) the K-7 offers a range of features we’ve never seen before in a DSLR. The K-7 deserves very serious consideration as an essential picture-taking tool.
http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/11609

Last edited by jogiba; Jun 2, 2009 at 5:27 PM.
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote