Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:32 AM   #131

Just to be clear, does the K7's viewfinder have an electronic level, or does it actually keep the image sensor level during shooting? I can't seem to get any info on this and was hoping that someone that owned one could help.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 1:30 PM   #132

I've got to research this - while it's a feature I wanted, I haven't tried it yet. What I've read indicated it would be the sensor and is connected with the fact the sensor is sort-of free-floating due to the SR, so it can correct a bit of lean (I think they say 1 degree). But that wouldn't be reflected in the viewfinder.

What I did read is the that the camera can either show you the Ev compensation graph or the level indicator (it uses the same graph line), so I'm thinking that it's sensor based, but there's also an indicator in the viewfinder. You've just given me something to play with at lunch. More to come...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 3:04 PM   #133

I don't have my owners manual with me today and I don't have any nice programs with straight lines (like LR or CS4) on my work computer. But here's what I've discovered.

There are several menu options. One is for the level in viewfinder, which I think is very cool and I'm going to leave it on for the most part. I can turn it off to use the exposure meter if I'm using manual lenses. This is a separate option.

There's also another menu option for horizon correction. I don't have my book so I'm not sure how this works, really. And I don't have any horizons to shoot where I am at work, so I tried to see if it would make a difference with vertical lines. I can't really tell but do know that if it does, it's a fairly small angle that it can adjust to (a set of comparison pictures I took with a fairly good lean looked the same both with and without the correction turned on). I have a horrible when it comes to trying to straighten things so without something like guide lines, I can't tell very well. I don't know if it will adjust based on the internal leveling (which is what the viewfinder shows) or if it adjusts based on horizonal lines. I suspect the former.

I also found another function that I had read about but hadn't tried - the composition adjust feature. You can adjust the picture over and up and down slightly, without moving the camera (I could see myself using this for macro when the camera is on a tripod). I didn't play with it all that much as it wasn't what you asked about. It only works in live-view, so you have to use the LCD, not the viewfinder (another reason I didn't play with it much - I was using it in bright sunlight and, as expected, the LCD is hard to see in that bright light).

Thanks, TCav, for asking the question - I hadn't actually looked for this and I'm so hopeless when it comes to keeping the camera straight (most of my photos have to be rotated just a bit) and the viewfinder level will come in REALLY handy for me, and I might not have found it for a long time (if ever).
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:22 PM   #134

Here's a great review the K-7 is a pretty darn good camera, and much better at everything the K20D is
http://www.neocamera.com/review_pentax_k7_more.html
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:15 AM   #135

What an exciting time to be looking at this thread! I've gone through it twice already. I've known some of you since more than a year and going by post counts you could say i was never here at all!!

I'm selling my D40 and was planning to purchase the D90 (body only) and use my dads nonD - SLR 18-55mm lens. That way i shell out something under 820 USD. But then came the K7 and i saw the K20D hitting rock bottom.... Its selling for 750 USD (WITH the kit lens) on newegg right now... all others list it as discontinued and are no longer selling it (eg. bhphotovideo, adorama....)

I saw the DP review with an eye for the 'cons' when compared to the K20D just to see where is K20 lagging behind.

Movie --> Never wanted it on a SLR (so why should i pay more for a feature i dont want)

Autofocus --> Did observe on my friends camera, its really noticeable when you handle a D90 or a D300 and then suddenly try focusing using a K20D... BUT you will get used to it and stop noticing the extra MILLISECONDS more it takes compared to others

People are complaining that the digital display on top of the camera does not show both ISO and Shots Remaining together... i would not mind disregarding the info about how many shots are remaining since i dont shoot burst mode or continuous... and a decent photographer would have one or two spare memory cards at least.

Should i wait for some more time before i purchase a NEW K20D... or should i take a dive right now...

Please tell me if i can find it elsewhere apart from newegg just in case its out of stock tomorrow

Last edited by no_nonsense4857; Oct 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM.
no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:40 AM   #136
Administrator

It looks like reputable dealers I check more often (for example: bhphotovideo.com, adorama.com, buydig.com) are sold out. I'm surprised that newegg has some left.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:02 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It looks like reputable dealers I check more often (for example: bhphotovideo.com, adorama.com, buydig.com) are sold out. I'm surprised that newegg has some left.
Ritz online Pentax closeout still had some a couple of days ago, as did Amazon.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:04 AM   #138
Administrator

That's a pretty decent price on them, too.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/CLR541615456.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:23 PM   #139

I wouldn't wait to get the K20, stocks are selling out now and I doubt the price will drop much more. Ritz is a good idea, but check their return policy as it's close-out. That's not a big deal as you'll have the Pentax warranty (and the K20 has been a really reliable camera), just something to know if you do run into a problem.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:25 PM   #140

On that note - make sure wherever you get it that it is USA warranty and not grey market. Don't want to be stuck with a lemon return product that Pentax won't touch. But I agree. If the K-20 meets your needs and it's a full USA warranty version then jump on it before it's gone.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote