Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:59 PM   #141

I believe it might still be eligible for a 3-yr extended warranty (2 extra years after the usual 1)- after receiving the camera call Pentax customer service and ask for the extra warranty - it probably won't be included with the camera.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:23 AM   #142

Since I have already decided to buy K7 over a D90 I found this thread very interesting.

However there is one point that needs raising and that needs wider consideration when discussing Canikons hold on the market and Pentax's marketing strategy, and their future.

Since I have lived in China for the past 15 years I have seen this country go from strength to strength in many aspects of life, none more so than in regards to purchasing power. India is following some way behind but over the next 10 to 20 years they will become massive markets for camera manufacturers, way in excess of the USA or Europe.

China will become an economic powerhouse (most would say it already is) however whereas now it is considered primarily as a producer it will in turn become a major (if not THE major) consumer of 'luxury' items such as high end electronic items. You can see this phenomenon already just by walking into any shopping mall around Shanghai (where I live). The world's luxury manufacturers of clothing, cars and expensive electronic items (such as huge LCD TVs etc) can thank China for saving their bacon during this current economic plight. Sales of cars are up nearly 100% in November, the stock market is at or near an all time high and real estate pricing is at record levels and continues to rise. I'm sure by now you can see where this is going .......

China, and India, together consisting of over 1/2 of the world's current population, will become massive markets for top end cameras, including of course all DSLRs and quality lenses. What the consumers will require here will be similar to what the consumers of DSLRs in the USA and Europe demand today. The money here though is with the middle aged down through the young, and in vast quantities (of both money & people) and their purchasing power is already extraordinary. By establishing a reputation in other electronic fields, as some have done already, such as in home products (Panasonic) or personal entertainment (Sony), they will create brand loyalty for the future. Both of these brands are massive sellers in China along with, on a much much smaller scale, Canon (business equipment).

However currently there is no current brand loyalty per se (consumer polls conclude that the Chinese have not yet established the concept, having no extensive recent history of buying expensive consumer products) so the opportunity for the likes of Pentax and Olympus is there but they will have to make that impact now ...... maybe the K7 can do that for Pentax but IMO they are going to struggle. Canon / Nikon / Panasonic and Sony are blanketing the market with print and TV exposure and outlets selling Pentax are already relatively difficult to find - but not impossible. There will certainly be massive markets for both professional products (because Chinese buyers with money just want the best, usually by reputation and not necessarily by performance, regardless of price) and prosumer products such as the K7. The market for P&S cameras is almost certainly I would have thought (I haven't done any research to confirm this though) the world's largest (as it now is for cars and mobile phones).

So in conclusion whatever the camera manufacturers strategy is for the future it must have more than one eye on China & India because the majority of their income will soon be derived from sales in Asia.

My apologies if I've rambled on !

Last edited by Frogfish; Dec 31, 2009 at 6:27 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:32 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
DP classifies it as a Nikon D300 competitor, not a Nikon D90 competitor...from what I've read. I agree with DP, they have had a copy to play with already .

The idea is to classify it as the BEST in the competition, not the worst, or even midgrade of the bunch. It could easily compare to any camera, but they just found the right market and right price for it

Actually Pentax is brilliantly playing their cards with their cameras. Many of the Pentax owners seem to contain a high brand loyalty and wait out to see what they reveal.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:39 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_nonsense4857 View Post
What an exciting time to be looking at this thread! I've gone through it twice already. I've known some of you since more than a year and going by post counts you could say i was never here at all!!

I'm selling my D40 and was planning to purchase the D90 (body only) and use my dads nonD - SLR 18-55mm lens. That way i shell out something under 820 USD. But then came the K7 and i saw the K20D hitting rock bottom.... Its selling for 750 USD (WITH the kit lens) on newegg right now... all others list it as discontinued and are no longer selling it (eg. bhphotovideo, adorama....)

I saw the DP review with an eye for the 'cons' when compared to the K20D just to see where is K20 lagging behind.

Movie --> Never wanted it on a SLR (so why should i pay more for a feature i dont want)

Autofocus --> Did observe on my friends camera, its really noticeable when you handle a D90 or a D300 and then suddenly try focusing using a K20D... BUT you will get used to it and stop noticing the extra MILLISECONDS more it takes compared to others

People are complaining that the digital display on top of the camera does not show both ISO and Shots Remaining together... i would not mind disregarding the info about how many shots are remaining since i dont shoot burst mode or continuous... and a decent photographer would have one or two spare memory cards at least.

Should i wait for some more time before i purchase a NEW K20D... or should i take a dive right now...

Please tell me if i can find it elsewhere apart from newegg just in case its out of stock tomorrow

I do wanna say, I recently got my K20d with the kit lens for like 719 or so before tax. It was a brilliant buy I believe as not even months ago I had a hard time findin one under 900, atleast where I was looking. I don't think you will regret that. Sell your old cam and buy a sweet lens or two.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:02 AM   #145

I held off on the D40 sale since its a good camera in its class. Also, i was not getting a resale price, that made a lot of difference to my buying power. I'll let my wife tinker with it without having to worry about whats happening to the camera while i'm at the office

To be very frank, i love my D40 for its size and since it did not blow a hole in my pocket, i tend to use it with a carefree attitude [a biker already has two wheels less than a car, he does not need another factor of a costly camera in his saddle bag to keep his mind occupied].

I handled my friends Canon 7D. First opinion - BULKY!!! Last opinion - BULKY!!! ... even after using it for one day, i just could not get over the fact that i would not be able to take it out as a biker. But it gave me perspective....

What i miss on my present camera.
1. A good display behind the camera to check my photo immediately. I am happy when i shoot it and am not at all satisfied after i finally upload it to my computer.
2. I need lot more than 6 mega pixels to take decent large prints.
3. Exposure bracketting.
4. Lack of a focus motor in the body... hence forced to use AF-S lens for autofocus. Its extremely tough to handle a manual focus lens with the biking gloves on... and still tough with your helmet on. Still - i manage to compose photoes the way i want to with the D40.
5. Optical stabilization if it gives me a stop or two.... helps in low light.

I dont care for the live view or the HD video an SLR shoots.

I'm still sitting on the amount i had kept aside for my new DSLR and stupidly waiting for something to happen. I can manage to plan an 850 USD expenditure right now.

K20D --> Missed the deals by one day ... newegg and ALL other sites listed as "discontinued". Even if i want it now, i am not finding one reliable source with a NEW box.

I'm still the same confused man about to take the serious DSLR plunge. My options:

K7 (with the WR kit lens) --> 990 USD
D90 (body only) + the 24mm f2.8 --> 1115 USD

Tried to search for a similar specced lens in Pentax - No Go

Pentax lens prices are simply out of this world when compared to the nikons (eg. the 24mm nikon prime). I dont care about zooms any more. Just want a 35mm prime (my ideal being a 28mm for landscapes). Chose to mention the 24mm since the 1.5 focal lenght multiplier gives me 36mm on the D90).

Might as well purchase the W90 waterproof camera and spend the rest of the money on a rain infested road trip??

The K7 is very much similar (may be a little bigger) than the D40. The "built like a tank" is what pleases me the most. Where the idea loses out now is on the choice of lens.

Please advice.

Confused wannabe pentaxian looking forward to this holiday season deals.

Last edited by no_nonsense4857; Sep 6, 2010 at 1:17 AM.
no_nonsense4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:16 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_nonsense4857 View Post

The K7 is very much similar (may be a little bigger) than the D40. The "built like a tank" is what pleases me the most. Where the idea loses out now is on the choice of lens.

Please advice.
One of the chief advantages of Pentax is backward compatibility - any lens ever made in a Pentax mount is usable on the new cameras - the oldest ones only in manual mode, but any autofocus lens should be fully functional. In addition to Pentax's own and some excellent third party lenses from Sigma and Tamron, there is a vast array of excellent used lenses on the market. Look through the "Pentax Lenses" forum for more information and opinions on choices.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:19 AM   #147

Ii saw your post and was going to say exactly the same thing as Pen'.

You can pick up M42 or older PK mount lenses for very little. The M42's will need an adaptor (get Pentax's - I tried several and it IS the best one out there and worth the extra cost) but you can get some wonderful lenses and manual focus shouldn't bother you for landscapes and architecture for example.

If you live in the USA (especially) or even in the UK you can get some great lenses off of EBay (I picked up a Helios 44M 58/2 in great condition for just $10 a couple of days ago).

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote