Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 20, 2009, 3:34 PM   #11

Go to the official Pentax K7 "home page":

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K%2D7/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harriet, I just added a BG2 grip to my K20, and the fingers do not wrap around it well - it is NOT comfortable to hold, and it adds to the weight - mount a flash, and it is a hefty package. The BG4 grip for the K7 is rounder under the fingers and should be more comfortable to hold. That alone, coupled with the lesser weight of the K7, provides yet another reason to consider it.

Last edited by penolta; May 20, 2009 at 4:02 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 4:29 PM   #12

I am very interested in the specs that have been posted regarding speed.....however, I am somewhat disappointed that Pentax has chosen to only tweak the AF algorithms, rather than going the route of a fully redesigned AF system. This has been my biggest disappointment with the K10/20 series, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with AF performance when people start working with it in the real world.

I know many like the smaller design; that is not a plus to guys like me with big hands. Using the K10 or 20 without the battery grip is decidedly uncomfortable for me, and any design that reduces the distance between the right-side grip and the lens introduces the possibility of cramped handling.

Finishing off my skepticism....I could care less about it having HDMI video. I would rather the traditional circuitry be devoted to improving its still images instead of pushing for movies.

For all of those reasons, I probably won't be an early adopter, but I'm going to watch this camera very closely. I really like many of the other improvements, and it it performs like Pentax claims, I have been saving my pennies for months in anticipation of its coming. I really don't want to switch, but I want a camera that is better in a low-light sports environment. If the K-7 proves to be that camera, fantastic!

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 4:43 PM   #13

Hi All,

I've just been looking at all the previews and I'm pretty impressed. I like it that they've gone with an alloy body, tweaked the AF system (Mark Dimo has claimed significant improvement in AF-C as well), added an AF assist light, added a faster shutter (and made it a lot quieter), higher frame rate (though I don't shoot that much in continuous), faster processor (really important to me for chimping), brand new sensor, 3" hi res LCD (I really like this!), added a color sensor to the AF system to allow for different ambient light sources, tweaked AWB to allow for better control at tungsten (but allows the user to decide), made it the smallest and lightest in it's class, retained lens compatibility, added HD video (not interested), added full functionality to LV with contrast AF (might be interesting). Some interesting tweaks are the highlight and shadow contrast and the +/- 5 stop Ev compensation. Too bad it doesn't use the same battery as the K10/20. . .

. . . and only increased the MSRP $100 USD from the intro price of the K20. If the price had been the rumored $1500-1600, this would have made me consider waiting a year, but now, I'm thinking that if the early reviews show improved high ISO IQ and no significant early-production problems, I might be compelled to get one before the fall migration. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 6:06 PM   #14

Ira - aren't you the devil! Of course I want it. Now I'm trying to talk myself out of it, rather than talking myself into it. I think I'll give it at least several months - I have no reason for being an early adopter, like I did for the K20. And if I did get it, I'd be in a big quandry as far as which of my two current cameras I'd sell - with the K-7 being smaller and lighter than the K20, there would be less reason to keep the K100 over the K20.

The AF lamp is one of the things that I find intriguing, quicker AF would be nice, but with what I mostly do, it's not a big deal (I use MF quite often anyway). Not sure I care about the in-camera lens correction, but it might be nice to have it (saving time in pp).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 6:43 PM   #15

Default This would be a nice upgrade from my K100D

From 6 mp to over 14 mp, with higher dynamic range, and more frames per second and improved autofocus it would be a worthwhile upgrade from my K100D. AND, it would make a nice graduation present from my NY Institute of Photography course, don't you think?

I hope it is all it is cracked up to be. Would purchase in the Fall put me beyond the "early adopter" category and allow any bugs to be worked out? What do you think?
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 7:35 PM   #16

Default Perfect, just perfect

We don't need "full-frame" sensors, we need old style compact SLRs like the ME Super, MX and LX, well, here it is. Combine this metal bodied beauty with a set of Limited series lenses and it is the '80s all over again. I originally bought Pentax for the feeling of quality and the compact size of the M series lenses and camera bodies. The Limited series lenses have given us a line of excellent compact primes and now this camera gives us quality feel in a small package.

As a K1000 (the original film camera) owner who also had an ME-Super with winder, I really miss the feel of real metal and the compact forms with actual edges instead of transitional zones. This may be the first new Pentax DSLR that really has me excited, like the new Challenger, Camaro and Mustang it combines the modern with the best of the old.

I want one.

Ira

Just compare this image of an old ME-Super with winder:
Attached Images

Last edited by Monza76; May 20, 2009 at 8:34 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 9:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
We don't need "full-frame" sensors, we need old style compact SLRs like the ME Super, MX and LX, well, here it is. Combine this metal bodied beauty with a set of Limited series lenses and it is the '80s all over again. I originally bought Pentax for the feeling of quality and the compact size of the M series lenses and camera bodies. The Limited series lenses have given us a line of excellent compact primes and now this camera gives us quality feel in a small package.

As a K1000 (the original film camera) owner who also had an ME-Super with winder, I really miss the feel of real metal and the compact forms with actual edges instead of transitional zones. This may be the first new Pentax DSLR that really has me excited, like the new Challenger, Camaro and Mustang it combines the modern with the best of the old.

I want one.

Ira

Just compare this image of an old ME-Super with winder:
Took the words out of my mouth. I really like the fact that the K7 has a metal body.

Also a battery grip. I have one on my K10D all the time. I'm a big guy, with big hands and the basic K10D body was just too small for my hands. I don't notice the extra weight.

Given the fact that the K7 is smaller a battery grip would be mandatory for me...and my hands.

I think Pentax has brought out a fantastic camera in the K7. Better than expected.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 9:39 PM   #18

Looks like the camera that should have been out a while ago. Following the lead of others I guess is not such a bad thing but it needs to live up the specs and possibly then some. It is good two lenses are coming out to match its weather sealing.

I will wait and see like the rest. I don't have much Pentax glass but may start if this camera delivers.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 10:50 PM   #19

at the price they listed it would start out at, will it be safe to say the the K7 will be on par, better or less than the Nikon D300

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 10:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafiryde View Post
at the price they listed it would start out at, will it be safe to say the the K7 will be on par, better or less than the Nikon D300

Dave
I think there is a definitely an attempt to position the K-7 as a direct competitor to the D300.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote