Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 20, 2009, 11:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
I think there is a definitely an attempt to position the K-7 as a direct competitor to the D300.

Paul
i was hoping to read that
do you think there is gonna be an improvement in autofocus, especially in low light

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 11:26 PM   #22

dp says that it will compete favorably with the D300 and be cheaper, smaller and lighter. It's AF is reputed to be improved, and they've added a dedicated AF-assist lamp for low light conditions where you don't want to have the flash up (its on the front of the camera body) - definitely a welcome addition. There's also supposed to be a way for the camera to adjust the AF to different lighting conditions. Imagining resource has a review of a pre-production model where they talk about it. It sounds really cool/useful, but I'd like to see it in real life.

The K-7 is going to have some unique features that no one else has. Not sure that they would be "buy me" things, but I could sure use the camera's ability to auto level on a horizon, since I have such a hard time with this. And it would be nice to automatically have my name and copyright information put in by the camera (all right, that's really a minor thing, but I will appreciate it).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 11:44 PM   #23

If the AF is greatly improved I will buy it, if not I won't!

The K20D works for me image quality wise, and it isn't too large for me to handle.

I have less than no interest in the video feature of the K-7, and the rest isn't enough for me to ditch the K20D and spend $1,300 unless the AF is as fast as my friends Canon. If not, I will stick with what I have until Pentax comes out with a model with fast AF.

Tom

PS: Why is the posting time all messed up, I know it is not 4:45 AM here right now?

Last edited by ennacac; May 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM.
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 11:54 PM   #24

so far i like what i have read so far
the one thing i dont care for is video,
it sounds like a winner, and i could see it taking the market with a storm when it is released

Dave
Old May 20, 2009, 11:57 PM   #25

Looks like a wonderful camera, but until August or so, when the early adapter folks are able to get one and use it for a while, there will be spec shopping. It would be nice, but the K20 is in my hands right now and it is all the camera I can handle, and I am still learning. I am satisfied - if my skill level needed it, I would purchase it, however I am still have a VERY LOOOOONG way to go to outgrow the 20....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 12:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
Looks like a wonderful camera, but until August or so, when the early adapter folks are able to get one and use it for a while, there will be spec shopping. It would be nice, but the K20 is in my hands right now and it is all the camera I can handle, and I am still learning. I am satisfied - if my skill level needed it, I would purchase it, however I am still have a VERY LOOOOONG way to go to outgrow the 20....
well said, i too am still on the learning curve with the K20D, i never realised before that i had a back focus problem until i down loaded a chart and keep getting conflicting results and wonder if i should just leave that area alone.
right now i am satisfied with my K20 and will put the K7 on the want list, the need list is full

Dave
Old May 21, 2009, 4:46 AM   #27

Good!! Finally!!! I will soon be able to shop for that slightly used K20 at 1/4 of the release price. A slightly over 300 dollar K20 would look good under my Christmas tree.

The K7's higher ISO with less nioise is the only thing that intrigues me here. The video feature is worthless to me. Smaller? God.....When will they learn that not all folks are 5' tall with tiny hands???? The K10D is about as small as I would wish for. Like light weight plastic lens they just don't feel or balance correctly. Hope the new battery system is all they say as it is a shame to now no longer use your old batteries with the new camera.

But like I said...Now I can finally get that K20D I've been waiting for.
Old May 21, 2009, 6:45 AM   #28
OW

But like I said...Now I can finally get that K20D I've been waiting for.[/QUOTE]

Howdy Dawg

Shouldn't You best be waiting for the Pentax K9 (Canine) to come ??? LOL

Wishing You happy hunting for the K20D though, as this all, -and more of a camera, than most human being could wish for. There is SO much potential in this marvel, just waiting to be explored.

Ole

Last edited by OW; May 21, 2009 at 6:54 AM.
OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 7:37 AM   #29
OW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
We don't need "full-frame" sensors, we need old style compact SLRs like the ME Super, MX and LX, well, here it is. Combine this metal bodied beauty with a set of Limited series lenses and it is the '80s all over again. I originally bought Pentax for the feeling of quality and the compact size of the M series lenses and camera bodies. The Limited series lenses have given us a line of excellent compact primes and now this camera gives us quality feel in a small package.

As a K1000 (the original film camera) owner who also had an ME-Super with winder, I really miss the feel of real metal and the compact forms with actual edges instead of transitional zones. This may be the first new Pentax DSLR that really has me excited, like the new Challenger, Camaro and Mustang it combines the modern with the best of the old.

I want one.

Ira

Just compare this image of an old ME-Super with winder:

Hi Ira

I can almost FEEL Your longing!

Grapping into ye olde photobag with the analog treasures, easing items out of real leather and velvetclad containers, feeling, nay carressing the sleek ballanced - all metal, combo of refined leatherclad house and the all glass and metal lens, and the ingenuity of the very brilliant veiwfinders combination of microraster, matte screen and split prism, making it a breeze to focus - THAT's a MOST sensual delight.

But grabbing my rugged all weathersealed realiable K20D, attaching a very light and wide range zoom, -I can be on my way to happy photohunting, in one fell swoop !

-No need for an extra house with a faster/slower film, no need for filters to get the whitebalance right, no grey filters needed, no need for keeping Your films cool, and economise with the very costly film, and there is even a itty bitty flash for the odd shot.

-And then if all that wasn't enough; The moment You get home You whisk all the days work onto the Computer, and now You are even the master of the darkroom, -and that without having to deny the entire family acces to the bathroom, for hours of processing !!!

-Reckon that You and I are blessed with the rememberance of the quality of yore, and the plethora of possibilities of today. -And mind You: We are even able to combine Yesteryears exellence with Todays ingenuity

Ole
OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 7:58 AM   #30

Well, big dawg, some of us ARE 5' tall and have small hands!

That's one of the good things about the battery grips - it helps people who have bigger hands. I tried one when the K10 first came out and a Pentax rep happened to be at my local camera store. Like Penolta, I quickly came to the conclusion just handling his display set-up that there was no way I could deal with one and still focus/operate a zoom. I think that was the time he also showed me the 540 flash - which I promptly bought.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote